How Big Is To Big(Talking About Cakes)

Decorating By jenn21 Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm by terri-jo

jenn21 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:12am
post #1 of 9

I just made a wedding cake that is 18 square, 14 round and 9 square. Each tier has three cakes making them approx 5-6 inches tall. It needs to feed 200 so i think i am definitely good there. I am just wondering, i like to transport my cakes already complete, stacked and all. Should i bother attempting this with this cake. I would dowel it of course.

8 replies
janelwaters Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:10am
post #2 of 9

HI!! Welcome to cake central!!

I really wish I had a great answer for you, but I really don't. I just know that if a cake is more that 2 tiers I have a really hard time transporting it put together. I am the worst person in a car with a cake!!I pray, I cuss, I scream, I bark orders and turn into a class A Biotch!

Good luck with the cake and I hope you post pics!

Hopefully someone else will weigh in on the transportation question!

karensue Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 9

I use the stress-free support system and transport four-tier stacked cakes without any problem. I also use a dowel through the bottom three tiers, and then another dowel through all four tiers which I remove when I get to the venue.

aligotmatt Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 9

I don't think you should have a problem with that as far as transportation stability. If you dowel well and center dowel, the cake should reamin in tact.

Do you have a cart or an assistant who can help you move the cake? That will be crazy heavy...

If I were moving that cake, I would bring the 18" and then stack the 9" on the 14" - so bring 2 cakes. Then stack the 14 on the 18 when I arrived.

stsapph Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 9

The only way I would even attempt it with this cake is with a center dowel. But I would probably play it safe and assemble once I got to the venue.

terri-jo Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 9

I know that many people wait until they get to the venue to stack cakes, but I find I have too many designs that "flow" from one tier to the next to do that. I'd end up doing all the decorating at the party, and I'm just not into that. I certainly travel with up to three tiers already stacked and so far, knock wood, I haven't had a problem. I dowel well and for three tiers, I put one down the middle as well. I have large mats (the kind that go under carpets ) that keep them from sliding around, and I drive SOOOOO carefully that everyone else on the road hates me. Its a price I'm willing to pay!javascript:emoticon('icon_biggrin.gif') You have to do whats right for you, but that just my two cents. Good luck with it!javascript:emoticon('thumbs_up.gif')

CarolAnn Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

I use the stress-free support system and transport four-tier stacked cakes without any problem. I also use a dowel through the bottom three tiers, and then another dowel through all four tiers which I remove when I get to the venue.

How do you carry this?? I did a three tiered stack for a wedding and had to assemble inside then carry it outside. I never could have carried it myself. Between the weight, keeping it level and not not marring the icing I don't know how you folks ever transport these assembled cakes.

melvin01 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #8 of 9

Yeah, everyone has their own preference so it's what works for you.

If it does need to have a lot of decorations done after it's assembled, I would maybe do it at home (or I like the idea of having the two smaller tiers together, then putting on the large base one as Alison mentioned).

I prefer to assemble onsite since it's so stressful driving with cake anyway and I deliver alone. So unless you for sure have a way to lift it into your car and at the venue, it may be easier to go that way. Just make sure to allow enough time to get your borders and final decorations done.

terri-jo Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 9

It's true that these cakes can get seriously HEAVY!! I have a big strong husband who helps me on almost all deliveries. I also do almost all fondant which doesn't mar as easily as buttercream. So far so good, but I could never do it by myself. Too darn heavy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%