Is There Anyone Here Who Doesn't Like Cake Balls/pops?

Baking By Bellatheball Updated 23 Oct 2008 , 6:31pm by UltimateCakes

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:37pm
post #31 of 48

dKelly27

I'm ALWAYS told to put amaretto and s'mores and Biley' Irish cream in the box then I just make up other flavors. It's pretty much just putting stuff in that sounds good. There was a forum of all the flavors that people came up with but it seems that was a long time ago. Someone may know who started it.

Yes, you can freeze the scraps until you are ready. But don't refreeze. I usually make a cake when I need to fill an order. The only time I have scraps if when I do a carved cake. The the scraps get snarfed up by a 16 uear old.

Lu

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:51am
post #32 of 48

So if I would start a new thread about fav cake truffle flavors where would I start it?? icon_lol.gif

Shanille21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanille21 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:30am
post #33 of 48

Like someone said im glad im not alone..i hate them. too mushy and i didnt find they had much flavor. i did use coffee creamer...i forget which flavor i used. too much liquid and they are soupy, not enough and the are tasteless. of well.. at least i tried!!

Shannon

kdbobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbobo Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:47am
post #34 of 48

Michelle104: There are BAJILLIONS of cake truffle/cake ball threads already on here, I think mostly in the "How Do I" and "Cake Ideas" threads. During the holidays I swear about 153 new Cake Ball threads open every day. I'm almost certain every combination possible has already been covered. icon_lol.gif

I tried them once, with one of my favorite cake/buttercream combinations. Unimpressed. I'd rather have a piece of cake or a piece of candy. I don't get this in-betweeny stuff!

kiki07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiki07 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:13am
post #35 of 48

I actually love them, but I freeze them after I make them and serve them frozen. It changes the texture a bit.
Don't throw them out, Neiman Marcus is going to be selling cake balls in their holiday catalog at $75 for three dozen, plus $14.50 s&h.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #36 of 48

I don't care for them, but many people do. Use the scraps to make a few up and see what you think. If other people like them, why not sell them? Peronally, I like cake scraps in a bowl with hot sweet butter sauce poured over -it was my mother's trick for getting rid of stale cake, my brothers and I just scarfed that down.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #37 of 48

the coconut cake with the milk and all sound good... have to try those

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 11 Oct 2008 , 2:40am
post #38 of 48

I made them once and thought they tasted like raw cake. YUK!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 22 Oct 2008 , 5:34pm
post #39 of 48

Just thought I'd add in my $.02 on cakeballs. icon_smile.gif

Like, steplite, the first time I made them, everyone thought they tasted like raw cake. I loved them, btw. I surmised that I must have added too much binder (don't remember if it was bc or creamer, to be honest). Well, I had a ton of them (undipped), so I put them on a cookie sheet and baked them in the oven at 250, I think for 10 min or so. I think I got that tip from CC, but not sure. They came out so much better!

What I do now, is break up the cake pieces into my KA bowl, until it's about 3/4 full, put the paddle on the mixer, and slowly mix until the cake pieces are all broken up. Then I feel to see how moist/dry the cake 'crumbs' are. I used that to judge the amount of coffee creamer I put in. I usually use 1-3 single serve cups per batch, depending on consitency. The cake ball mix should be just damp enough to hold together. Then I use a candy bonbon mold to make mine all uniform, then dip in chocolate.

I can totally see how some people don't like them though, since I know there's tons of stuff other people like that I don't, lol.

Edited to add:

The flavors used definitely could make a big difference. I had tons of left over cake in the freezer last holiday season, and tried to be creative with my cakeballs. I made them to give as presents. I ended up with 8 different kinds (sorry, don't remember them all, but some were boring, lol). I decided to do the same for presents this year, however, I don't have leftover cake, lol. So, I decided on the 4 most popular ones from last year, and am going to bake cakes specifically for the cake balls. The ones I'm doing are (1) chocolate cake dipped in mint dark chocolate, (2) lemon cake dipped in yellow chocolate, (3) chocolate raspberry cake dipped in milk chocolate, and (4) spice cake dipped in white chocolate.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:36pm
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

I don't care for them, but many people do. Use the scraps to make a few up and see what you think. If other people like them, why not sell them? Personally, I like cake scraps in a bowl with hot sweet butter sauce poured over -it was my mother's trick for getting rid of stale cake, my brothers and I just scarfed that down.

Hot sweet butter sauce? Butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar? Recipe? Image

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:57pm
post #41 of 48

I'm not a fan of them (cake either for that matter) however, they have become my biggest requested item the past year. I made them last year for the holidays, had them out when friends were over etc and they LOVED them. Even my kids will eat them and they are like me, they don't like cake. To each their own I guess.

BarbRaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbRaz Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 3:59pm
post #42 of 48

I just came across my recipe today and asked myself why I kept the recipe, because I really don't like them either. I thought it was just me too! Luckily I have two teenagers that scarf up the cake scraps, and they like them better without icing.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:07pm
post #43 of 48

Yep, Steplite is right. To me they tasted like cold, raw cake. And to be honest they were a lot of work to make, especially the dipping part. Definitely not worth it to me.

I just bag up my cake scraps and sit them on the counter and my kids take care of them for me. Sometimes I share with my very appreciative neighbor. She loves it when I also send a small container of icing for spreading. Yum!

Kim

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:08pm
post #44 of 48

Bleeeech!!! Can't cotton to 'em at all!! It has all the right things, in wrong proportions....

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:12pm
post #45 of 48

I am glad to hear other say how the that of the cake balls suck! I tried it on a cake as garnishment/decoration around the bottom layer. I don't normally eat cake so i never tasted the balls to see if they were ok (mistake #1). I gave the cake to a girl friend for a party (mistake #2). I then baked a cake for another event and decided to do the cake ball thing again. This time I tried the cake balls and was about sick. They were horrible. My girlfriend said everyone raved about the cake (it was the shape of a pig for a hog roast), but that explains why she never said anything about how it tasted. I am so embarrased. I hope they didn't get turned off by the cake balls.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 4:28pm
post #46 of 48

Ive only made 1 kind that i've liked, the rest are all ick! I take chocolate cake, mix it with a small amount of cookie & cream buttercream, coat in chocolate sprinkle a little crushed cookies on it, and it's good...the rest are all ICK!

Hubby, mom & kids however devour them! they last less then a half a day

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 6:20pm
post #47 of 48

I've made them and they are my biggest hit! I made a batch with chocolate cake and cream cheese buttercream as a binder (mmmm) and took them to a staff pitch-in at work. The Associate Vice President of my department came up to me and complimented me on them.

I made over 40 of them, and they didn't last. icon_smile.gif I knew of people who showed up JUST to grab one or two.

I've also made the WASC cake with the same binder, and those we delicious as well.

I can't eat too many at a time (my limit is usually one), but so many others can't get enough.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 23 Oct 2008 , 6:31pm
post #48 of 48

I've never had a cake ball. Anyone close by wanna send me one LOL?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%