Help! With Strawberry Cake Filling

Decorating By jlynn21 Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 1:07pm by jlynn21

jlynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynn21 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 6

I made the strawberry cake filling from recipe here (just strawberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch and water) and cooked as directed, but it is still too liquidy! What can I do? I am using it between layers. Can I add powdered sugar or maybe strain some of it and add to buttercream? Any suggestions! I don't have any more strawberries to try a different recipe and I am running out of time! All suggestions are MUCH appreciated!

5 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:29am
post #2 of 6

Make a slurry of c starch, and water then add, and re cook.

Mike

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

Have you given it enough time to thicken? I make a raspberry filling with the same ingredients and it takes hours for it to completely set up. You can speed it up by putting it in the fridge. Otherwise, I agree with mike. But dont add a ton of cornstarch or you will end up with goo.

cupycakesmurf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupycakesmurf Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 6

Personally I'd flavor up some buttercream with it. It'll be much better that way since it's so liquidy right now!

Jennifer

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:52am
post #5 of 6

my favorite strawberry buttercream is to puree strawberry preserves and mix into my normal buttercream. It's fabulous!!!!!

I would try mixing it with buttercream, but I would guess it depends on what your client asked for (if this is for a client).

jlynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynn21 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips. After letting it sit for a long time, it thickened up nicely. I also put a little in the buttercream and really liked it that way. Thanks again for the replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%