Help! With Strawberry Cake Filling

Decorating By jlynn21 Updated 28 Sep 2008 , 1:07pm by jlynn21

jlynn21 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 6

I made the strawberry cake filling from recipe here (just strawberries, granulated sugar, cornstarch and water) and cooked as directed, but it is still too liquidy! What can I do? I am using it between layers. Can I add powdered sugar or maybe strain some of it and add to buttercream? Any suggestions! I don't have any more strawberries to try a different recipe and I am running out of time! All suggestions are MUCH appreciated!

5 replies
Mike1394 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:29am
post #2 of 6

Make a slurry of c starch, and water then add, and re cook.

springlakecake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

Have you given it enough time to thicken? I make a raspberry filling with the same ingredients and it takes hours for it to completely set up. You can speed it up by putting it in the fridge. Otherwise, I agree with mike. But dont add a ton of cornstarch or you will end up with goo.

cupycakesmurf Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 6

Personally I'd flavor up some buttercream with it. It'll be much better that way since it's so liquidy right now!

Cakerer Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:52am
post #5 of 6

my favorite strawberry buttercream is to puree strawberry preserves and mix into my normal buttercream. It's fabulous!!!!!

I would try mixing it with buttercream, but I would guess it depends on what your client asked for (if this is for a client).

jlynn21 Posted 28 Sep 2008 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips. After letting it sit for a long time, it thickened up nicely. I also put a little in the buttercream and really liked it that way. Thanks again for the replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%