Tailgate Dishes?

Lounge By ziggytarheel Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 5:02pm by Katie-Bug

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 4

My normally sufficient googling skills are failing me, so I thought I'd see if any of you could give me some good ideas!

Next weekend, we are off to parent's day at our son's college. From the time we leave our house until we actually eat will be at least 5 hours. We aren't booster club members, so we don't have the option of parking anywhere near campus. Our plan is a picnic style tailgate...in other words, all cold food. At least one other couple (parents) will be joining us, possibly more, and who knows how many students. Last year, we picked up some whose parents weren't there. The plan is for each of us to bring a meat dish, a side or appetizer and a dessert. I'm trying not to duplicate what we've done in the past.

After a little discussion, we decided I would bring chicken for my meat dish. I will probably bring a decorated cookie for the dessert. I'm mostly stumped about my side. I don't want to do anything with beans, since there will be a black bean salad.

So, any creative, fun, yummy, not terribly expensive, make ahead, cold dish ideas? Something that will keep well in a cooler? And something that isn't based on beans? Or mayo? (a few non-mayo eaters in the crowd) I made a tomato, artichoke and feta "dip" the other week that was
really good, so something similar to that would be fun.

Ideas? Stories? Recipes?

I would love to hear from you?

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:07am
post #2 of 4

What about a coleslaw with a vingerette dressing on it? It is light, refreshing and can sit out.

Veggie tray with dressing/dip?

Pasta veggie salad with italian dressing? Raw or lightly steamed veggies mixed with any kinda of noodle and dressing. You can always have the veggies and pasta ready then add the dressing when you get there. You could even do your tomatoes, aritchoke and feta in with this or mixed with the pasta and dressing alone.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:38am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the help. I'm trying to not just bring my standard issue recipes, but also make something that people will actually eat. I like the idea of a pasta salad with the feta and tomato and artichoke, although just the feta and tomato with black olives and a tart dressing. Hmmm.... Thanks for jump starting my brain!

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 4

This may be way off, but what if you baked some potatoes- wrapped in foil, and carried them. You could then take different toppings like cheese, green onions, sour cream, butter, seasoning, B.B.Q. sauce, bacon bits, etc.

I made Asian Slaw the other day for a party, was a huge hit. I would be glad to share the recipe. I know that there is more...my mind is blank too! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%