Gel Like Layer On Fondant To Scrape A Pattern Into

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 2:53am by Teena_Marie

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 5

Ok...I found a rocker/stampy thing to make a woodgrain pattern with. Now, I want to color fondant in a woodtone, and spread some sort of mixture on top in a darker shade of brown with some black. Then drag this rubber thing through to scrape the image into it. I think some sort of gel mixture would be best. Mixed with corn syrup perhaps? Would this break down MMF? All of my cakes before were kinda sorta playing around, this one I'm getting paid for (just for the materials) but the exposure my cake will get will be great. Want it to look gooooood. Thanks for any help you may have!

4 replies
ceshell Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:18am
post #2 of 5

I would think that the wetness of piping gel would absolutely break down your mmf. However if you use a small enough amount and your fondant layer is thick enough, then only the topmost bit of your fondant would be affected and it won't cause any actual damage.

I can't get a grip on what you are describing with the stampy/rocker thing "dragging" thru the cake to "scrape" the image into it?? Can you elaborate or post a pic of the tool, someone might have a better suggestion of how you can use it.

loriemoms Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #3 of 5

I would like to see it too....gel sounds messy and doesn't dry nicely. Would thinned out RI work better?

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #4 of 5

http://paintinthetown.bizland.com/store/media/rocker_large.jpg

That is a link to the rocker tool. You drag the serrated comb part through whatever medium you're using, and occasionally rock it back and forth to get the circular woodgrain to make an impression as well. So just as you would use this tool with varnish and thicker paint to "scrape" the woodgrain onto the surface of whatever you are faux finishing, I figured I could apply the same technique to well smoothed fondant using a gel type of icing. Seems like it should work.

Lol, yeah, I guess my description sounded a bit confusing. Thanks for the replies!

Teena_Marie Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #5 of 5

How about using icing colors thinned down like paints?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%