Should I Even Bother

Decorating By Teenequeene Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 12:47am by jessfmaldonado

Teenequeene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teenequeene Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 5

I have a personal account on myspace and I posted all of my cake pics on there. I received a message titled: U DONT KNOW ME. Well it was from this girl that is about 20 minutes or so from my area. We have been writing back and forth for the past couple of days but Im not really interested in making a cake for her because of the way the messages have been going. To make it easier I'll copy them.

HER: i was looking at your profile very nice job on the cakes
ME: Thanks!!
HER: u r very welcome so who do u make cakes for
ME: Well I havent been doing it for very long. So far its only been friends, family, friends of friends and family, etc. But I'd be willing to make one for anyone in the area that is interested. So if your interested let me know.
HER: k thank do u do baby shower cakes
ME: Yes I do.
HER: because we r haveing a baby shower next mouth
HER: can u make a baby carriage and how much would it cost
ME: I can make a baby carriage. The price would depend on how many people the cake would need to serve, if you want it 3-D or a flat cake and if it would need to be delivered or if you would be picking it up. Im located in Riverside NJ.
HER: it would be for 70 ppl

Thats the last message. She didnt even answer any of my other questions. I dont think I want to do business with her. Im not on myspace to advertise. I just post my pics for my friends to see so I wouldnt be bothered if she was mad if I turned her down. So how do I respond to this or should I even? I was thinking about asking her what the date for the baby shower is and telling her Im booked or going on vaca. But then she may ask me for another cake some other time.

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 5

You can either be busy, or just quote your regular price (I presume you are legal)

Require CASH, in ADVANCE paid in full before any work is done.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 5

If you're not legal, don't do it. It could be the health department fishing around, or another bakery looking to turn you in because they're jealous. You just can't trust people these days, unfortunatly. Please beware and protect yourself, and your family.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:02am
post #4 of 5

I would give her a price for a 3-d and flat cake for 70 people and see where it goes from there.

I rather doubt it would be a health dept phising because most of them are soooooo understaffed they wouldn't have the time to be on the 'puter looking for those working at home. Remember health depts have to check *every* resturant, grocery store, dairy (where cows are raised; milk produced etc), hotel and other places I can't think of right now - *any place* that has *anything* to do w/food in any way.
It could be another decorator trying to figure out your pricing but I really think this is someone who just wnats a cake.

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:47am
post #5 of 5

I say be very very cautious. It could be a health inspector. There were a two people that a friend of mine knows, that were on craigs list and myspace, and health inspectors were posing to be customers and they were busted. They received heavy fines!!!

Always be cautious!!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%