Ok Im A Little Concerned And I Dont Want To Panic

Decorating By jackie64 Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 1:14am by DebraDough

jackie64 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:03pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a 2 layer 14, 12, 10 inch tiered cake all of my layers have cracked in the center I know my oven temp is right and I didnt do anything different . I am using the Wilton Perferred Scalloped Decorator Plates and 7 inch pillars , has anyone sucessfully tiered a cake this size with the layers cracked . I am so afraid I cant even say it. Please help is there anything I can do .

5 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 6

How badly are they cracked? Can you "glue" them back together with some icing?

littlecake Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 6

if your using pillars there shouldn't be any problem at all...

you should have seen some of the cakes they gave us to decorate at this one place i worked...we started calling them frankenstien cakes cause they were so hacked up and put back together.....after they were decorated you couldn't tell.

jackie64 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 6

Ok I feel a little better now I do think the icing will hold them I was worried with the cracks in the cake that when I put the pillars in it might not do well but I am going to rotate the cakes and try to put the pillars in where it is not cracked . Thanks for your help .

littlecake Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #5 of 6

if you freeze them first it kinda "tightens" the cake up.

i can ice just about anything and make it look nice if the cake is half frozen.

i like using the pillars that go thru the cake, that way they take all the stress....

DebraDough Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:14am
post #6 of 6

As long as they are not stacked you should be all right. When they are stacked on top of each other even with good support I hate using anything that isn't dang near perfect. I agree with the freezing idea. I always freeze my cakes. Just makes them easier to handle, especially the really big ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%