Fondant Letter Cutters...

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm by superstar

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 17

Where do you get these cutters from???? I've seen many cakes with these letters on them and I LOVE them.

Here's the link of a pic that I saw today on the front page

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1266266.html

TIA icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #2 of 17

that's a cute cake!!
Good question, would like to know too... icon_biggrin.gif

dawndunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawndunn Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 17

These cutters are made by a company FMM.

They are based in the uk. They are the strip cutter style, and can also be called tappits.

This is the Funky style, you can also get script and normal but these are smaller letters.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 17

I just got FMM cutters today, just the normal capital letters, from Global Sugar Arts. I wanted that funky letter, but I didn't see them. They used to have them, so maybe you can ask them if they are getting them again.

It says to use flower floral paste. Anyone know if I can use regular gumpaste (there is a difference in that and floral paste from what I've learned on my cake group) or fondant?? I don't want to use something and get them all stuck and have to try to get them cleaned out again.

Thanks,
Jen

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 17

Groovy! Thanks for the info guys!!! thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 17

If you need something soon.. you could always choose a font and print it. Then put some wax paper over the letters. Mix up some royal icing (in the color of your choice) and then trace the letters with the royal icing. Let them dry and then pick the letters off. You can attach them with water, vanilla, gumpaste glue.

If you decide to do this..you might want to make a few extra's in case they break as you are working with them.

Hope this helps!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 17

Heres a video that shows how to use them. I just use gumpaste and it works fine

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 17

I used a fondant/gumpaste mix today for mine today. Unfortunately, quite a few of them got stuck even though I used the crisco. I guess next time I will try the floral paste recipe. Just didn't have the time this time to do it.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjballinger

I just got FMM cutters today, just the normal capital letters, from . I wanted that funky letter, but I didn't see them. They used to have them, so maybe you can ask them if they are getting them again.

It says to use flower floral paste. Anyone know if I can use regular gumpaste (there is a difference in that and floral paste from what I've learned on my cake group) or fondant?? I don't want to use something and get them all stuck and have to try to get them cleaned out again.

Thanks,
Jen

I love these funky letters; but they are more difficult than the other two sets to use. More tiny curly ques, and they tend to break off more easily. However, a little practice makes it easier. I use gumpaste, and straight fondant without a problem.. roll it out and let it dry a little before using the cutters and it works better. I also let it dry a minute in the cutter before removing it.... hth

mjballinger Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 17

thanks Laura!
And can I ask where you found that cool graphic to make your name in icing? I would love to use it for my personal emails.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:09pm
post #11 of 17

Hi Jennifer.. I made the animation in a program called Paint Shop Pro.. (computer graphics=a hobby in previous life, icon_lol.gif ) But there is a website you can go where some very talented ladies make stuff for free.. thumbs_up.gif But, I will have to find it on my other computer.. I will PM you with the info later tonight....

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm
post #12 of 17

Global Sugar have all the FMM tappits. I received my funky ones the other day & used them for the first time on the 'Aloha Peggy' cake in my photo's. I found them very easy to use, on this cake I used fondyx with a little tylose added & dusted the tappits & sugarpaste with corn starch.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 17

I just used mine today for a super cute cake. This was the most successful attempt I have had-mostly due to Aine2's video on Youtube. It made it SO much easier!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:45am
post #14 of 17

you guys mentioned flower paste. Isnt it really just gum paste? I found this site that gives a recipe but i thought gum tex and gum tragacanth are the same?

http://bakingproject.com/index.php/tag/flower-paste

mjballinger Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:55am
post #15 of 17

I am so disappointed! I had just searched for "tappits" on Global Sugar Art and they didn't come up, so I assumed they didn't have them. What a bummer that I could have ordered them. Next time.

I did just try my letters and they worked really well as long as I let my fondant/gumpaste mix sit for a few minutes after I rolled it out. What a great new "toy".

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:06am
post #16 of 17

Country Kitchen SA has the funky cutters. I really really want them!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #17 of 17

look under FMM

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%