How Do I Keep Patchwork Fondant From Splitting At The Seams?

Decorating By LisaI Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 1:04pm by kate_c

LisaI Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone TFL, I am quite new to decorating, but I love to try new things.
I have done the Wilton course I and a couple wonderful things I found here - a royal icing tiara for my neice's 1st birthday and a frozen butter cream transfer for my son's 4th birthday.

So the next project is for a baby (boy) shower cake. I have an idea of what I want to do, but figuring out how to implement it is giving me a hard time this time. I think it is because my MIL is making the cake, and frosting it, and I am going to do topper type decorations.

The cake has to stay in the 13 x 9 x 2 pan that she bakes it in because it is so moist I think it would fall apart otherwise. Also I probably won't have the cake here to work on, where my stuff is, I will be going to her house to put it on top. She is going to make the cake a day or two before so I have a little time to do that.

That info out of the way, I thought I would try some color flow decorations of baby items (bottle, onesie, train etc.). that are easy to do in advance and just stick on. I have never done them, but I did a trial run last night, and it is easy enough, won't be a problem for me to do.

I also would love to do a patchwork baby blanket of fondant (which I have barely worked with) and do a drape it maybe from a stack of 3 blocks. I think I could do the drape ok, but for the blanket being patchwork, how would I keep the seams from opening up while lifting it and doing the drape?
It wouldn't be a whole lot of fondant since the size of the cake won't allow it, just a smallish blankie. I thought it would keep some of the flow work out of the icing in case the mom to be wants to keep any of it.

Any advice, instruction and or thoughts of things I should consider but haven't are all appreciated very much, I value it all.

2 replies
peg818 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:51am
post #2 of 3

I would do a solid thin piece of fondant under the pieces adhering the pieces of fondant to that. Then when you pick it up it is really one piece.

kate_c Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 3

I love fondant.. I would cover everything - even my baby boy - in fondant if I could! I agree with peg 818, and I would also add the finishing touch of a narrow strip folded over each edge so you can't see both layers from the side, and also create the appearance of a hem on the blanket...

Quote by @%username% on %date%