Help! A Case Of Rookie Nerves!

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm by grama_j

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 5

I am working on my first paid order today. I've had some orders where they covered the cost of the ingredients, but this is the first one with a true paying customer, and I'm nervous as heck!!! Here's my latest worry (in a string of many). She asked me for a quote for a chocolate cake with mocha buttercream filling covered in ganache to feed 20. Now, I had given her a cake before. My course 3 final project, which was a 10" round and a 6" round. When she asked for the quote, I told her that technically an 8" round, if cut right, would serve 24 and mentioned that the bottom layer of the cake she got from me last time was a 10" round so that she would have some reference for size. Then I gave her a quote for 8" and a quote for 10". She chose the 8". Now I'm really worried she won't have enough cake because I went with wedding serving sizes and not with party sizes. I did tell her what the measurements of each piece would be, but I'm still worried. Should I make some cupcakes and give them to her as a "thank you" for my first order, or should I just let it be? Oh, btw, the 8" round I'm making will be about 4.5" tall.

4 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 5

hi becca icon_smile.gif

If you told her the 8" would serve up to 20/24 and she is clear on the size of the pieces, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since she has literally had an 8" cake of yours before. If she is concerned she won't have enough cake, she either needs to be diligent about cutting the pieces or order more cake.

You could include a cutting guide, if you like. Since some people don't understand how to cut a round cake to feed more than 8. icon_lol.gif There are some online or I have a book that I photocopied and sent with customers - just let me know if you need it. Take Care and have fun - I'm sure it will be beautiful & delicious!

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

hi becca icon_smile.gif

If you told her the 8" would serve up to 20/24 and she is clear on the size of the pieces, I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since she has literally had an 8" cake of yours before. If she is concerned she won't have enough cake, she either needs to be diligent about cutting the pieces or order more cake.

You could include a cutting guide, if you like. Since some people don't understand how to cut a round cake to feed more than 8. icon_lol.gif There are some online or I have a book that I photocopied and sent with customers - just let me know if you need it. Take Care and have fun - I'm sure it will be beautiful & delicious!

I agree, you did tell her its not like you made something up. And dont worry, your cakes are great and this one will be too!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 5

Indydebi's website has the best cutting chart I have seen. www.cateritsimple.com It's the easiest way I've seen to cut a cake.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 5

How much did you charge for the 8" ? If you are worried that it won't serve enough, and the prices are close, give her a 10"...... but make sure you tell her it is a 10', and that you didn't charge her anymore money for it..... ( so if she orders that size next time, she will get the higher price )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%