I'm Going To Cry

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 6:44pm by mbelgard

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 25

My five year old is getting ear tubes on Tuesday.

I just got a call that they've moved the surgery schedule so he won't be getting the procedure until sometime after noon, he was already scheduled pretty late in the morning. I don't have to be there so early which is good because we live about 2 hours away but he's not going to be able to eat or drink from midnight on. icon_cry.gif

The only reason he objects to getting this done is because he can't eat breakfast and now to have him unable to eat for even longer. He's going to fuss about it the whole way to Minot and then while we wait and I have to take him alone because my husband just can't take the time off right now.

24 replies
sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 25

Hang in there mom. I've been through procedures with both my children. It is nerve wrecking and heart breaking. I cried for both. It is so hard when your 3 year old looks at you while the nurse can't get the I.V. in and says "Mommy, why are they hurting me? Don't let them hurt me." Of course I looked at the nurse and very sternely said, "You have one more chance." icon_mad.gif But, they make it through, and you get good cuddle time for at least a day after.

Make sure to ask the doctor if the eating time has changed since the procedure time is different. They usually say midnight because the surgerys are usually first thing in the morning. But, defenitely call and ask. That's too long for a little guy. Good luck. I'll be thinking about both of you. Let us know how it goes. But, take a deep breath and be strong for little man. thumbs_up.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 25

The poor little guy is going to be famished! Could they reschedule for another day, first thing in the morning? I know my 5 year old could never go that long without food or water. That's terrible!

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 25

When my son was five, he had tubes put in his ears. It seems like the surgery was scheduled for very late in the morning. What I did that helped him make it through was that I promised him we would stop and buy a shake after it was all over. Shakes were his favorite treat. He did fine and if he complained, we just talked about how great that shake would taste after it was all over. Maybe if you promise him one of his favorite treats it might help. thumbs_up.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 25

Dont forget Mommy, those doctors work for you not the other way around.
You let them know they can reschedule it to an early a.m. or go elsewhere. Now I am not saying be rude but stearn is a completely other thing. Explain to them why your child shouldnt be subjected to almost 20 hours of no food and water. I assume you wont be keeping him until midnight just to have a snack and you might put him to bed around 8pm the night before. I dont know an adult who could make that except maybe Ghandi.

Another thing is there a specific reason why they had to reschedule? Did the doc have a round of golf scheduled that he cant miss? thumbsdown.gif
Or is it a problem with the hospital O.R. scheduling? Or is it just that someone else got a favorable bump from the end to the top of the line due to a serious issue?
You can ask these things, you really can! Approach everything with a heartfelt sincere tone explaining your concern for your childs needs.
If you find out why it might make it easier for you to understand or overcome the issue. And hey it could be that all you need to do is bake that receptionist a cake to move you along the list to the perfect a.m. spot for you lil un.

mbelgard Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

The poor little guy is going to be famished! Could they reschedule for another day, first thing in the morning? I know my 5 year old could never go that long without food or water. That's terrible!

Rescheduling would be an issue, the appointment has been approved through the IHS hospital so they'll cover the expenses not covered by insurance and getting them to approve another date can be an issue.

mbelgard Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

Dont forget Mommy, those doctors work for you not the other way around.
You let them know they can reschedule it to an early a.m. or go elsewhere. Now I am not saying be rude but stearn is a completely other thing. Explain to them why your child shouldnt be subjected to almost 20 hours of no food and water. I assume you wont be keeping him until midnight just to have a snack and you might put him to bed around 8pm the night before. I dont know an adult who could make that except maybe Ghandi.

Another thing is there a specific reason why they had to reschedule? Did the doc have a round of golf scheduled that he cant miss? thumbsdown.gif
Or is it a problem with the hospital O.R. scheduling? Or is it just that someone else got a favorable bump from the end to the top of the line due to a serious issue?
You can ask these things, you really can! Approach everything with a heartfelt sincere tone explaining your concern for your childs needs.
If you find out why it might make it easier for you to understand or overcome the issue. And hey it could be that all you need to do is bake that receptionist a cake to move you along the list to the perfect a.m. spot for you lil un.

The doctor has something in the surgery schedule that came up, it has to be done at the hospital instead of the same day surgery center so it's getting done first. It isn't something dumb like golf.

Because we were referred from IHS we really can't go somewhere else if we want them to pay for it, they have contracts with certain doctors and hospitals.

redhare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redhare Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 25

ooh poor lil guy.... poor momma tooo. We will be praying for ya I know it will be a rough day but you will make it thru

michellenj Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 25

What do they say about your son not eating for so long? That seems cruel and unusual to me. Almost dangerous! I know it's because of the sedation, but it seems like he could have something like a popsicle or lemonade, some little thing to just make it a little bit easier around breakfast time.

mbelgard Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 25

I asked about when he goes NPO and they said it's still midnight. I feel SO bad for him right now.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:48am
post #11 of 25

oh my gosh he's going to be starving by that time. I've been through 3 ear tube surgeries with my kids as well as tonsils. The worst is when you see them all grouchy afterward and crying. (just to warn you in advance). They get juice and flavor ice afterward at the hospitals around here. Still pack a snack though. My kids were starving after their surgeries and they were earlier in the day than yours.
At the last ear tube surgery the hospital had us come 2 hours early. I thought it was stupid but complied. Glad I did. One person never showed up and another one canceled so everyone was bumped up 2 hours.
I hope something like this happens for your child so they get in sooner.
The surgery only takes about 5-10 minutes total so don't walk to far because in no time they come and take you back to recovery.

Good luck with everything.

mbelgard Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

oh my gosh he's going to be starving by that time. I've been through 3 ear tube surgeries with my kids as well as tonsils. The worst is when you see them all grouchy afterward and crying. (just to warn you in advance). They get juice and flavor ice afterward at the hospitals around here. Still pack a snack though. My kids were starving after their surgeries and they were earlier in the day than yours.
At the last ear tube surgery the hospital had us come 2 hours early. I thought it was stupid but complied. Glad I did. One person never showed up and another one canceled so everyone was bumped up 2 hours.
I hope something like this happens for your child so they get in sooner.
The surgery only takes about 5-10 minutes total so don't walk to far because in no time they come and take you back to recovery.

Good luck with everything.

We have to be there at 9am so if someone cancels we'll be there.

I know how long the surgery takes, my brother's little boy just had his third set, so I wasn't planning on going anywhere. They say that within a couple hours he's running around like normal and fine.

And packing a snack is a wonderful idea, that will hold him until I get him to somewhere to eat. We're going to have to get a meal before we head home, I really can't eat while he's with me and he's not going to be able to wait two extra hours either.

My child has tons of plans for after the surgery, it's a larger town with stores to go to and he's a shopper. icon_rolleyes.gif I told him we'd see how he feels before we decided what we were doing.

mkolmar Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #13 of 25

You might want to start saving up your money now. Sounds like he has big plans and he's a big spender, you might be in trouble icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:26am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

You might want to start saving up your money now. Sounds like he has big plans and he's a big spender, you might be in trouble icon_lol.gif

But he likes going to cool places that I enjoy. One of the places he wants to go to is Hobby Lobby to look at Christmas stuff. thumbs_up.gif

michellenj Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:46am
post #15 of 25

I sure hope you get bumped up! I will be thinking about you all. Poor little guy.

It's so cute that he loves to shop. My ds does too, every time we pass the Coach purses in the mall he tells me I should buy one. thumbs_up.gif

mbelgard Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #16 of 25

My son really likes to shop for candy molds and cookie cutters. When he went to the ENT a few weeks ago we shopped before we went and he insisted on getting a cookie cutter set, a set of Wilton halloween candy molds and the tombstone candy mold. He was really steamed that Hobby Lobby didn't have the new yearbook because he wanted that. icon_lol.gif

I've decided not to tell him about the time change, if he doesn't know he won't realise just how long he's going ot have to go without eating. It's still going to be hard on him but I'm hoping if he isn't thinking about how long he has to wait it won't bother him so much.

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:59am
post #17 of 25

My heart goes out to your little guy! One thing to remember, children are so resiliant, it will be harder on you probably than on him. Kids are amazing how they can just pick up and get on with things once the worst is over. Have a high protein snack for him like peanut butter on whole wheat or some cheese and crackers. Filling and not too heavy after a long fast. Good luck, and let us know how everything went. Take care...

mkolmar Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:41am
post #18 of 25

I know tomorrow is the big day. Just wanted to wish you all the best.

mbelgard Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #19 of 25

Well it's done.

We got there at nine like they told us and were told they figured we weren't going to show because we were supposed to be there at 7:30. icon_confused.gif I explained the phone call I'd recieved and they said it wasn't a big deal and they had wondered if there had been a mixup.

They took him in right around 10am and everything went fine. He had complained a few times about being hungry but not much and spent the time waiting doing some of his school work and reading.

The nurses were really happy with him because he woke up happy instead of being crabby, they said most of the kids are fussy when they wake.

He chugged his juice down and wanted to go to McDonalds, no upset stomach problems. Less than 90 minutes after he had his tubes put in he was running around playing at the playland there and then we went shopping.

He said he wants to go back next year to get tubes again. icon_lol.gif

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:27am
post #20 of 25

I was thinking of you this morning. Glad to hear everything went well. Your son son sounds like a sweety!

michellenj Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:27am
post #21 of 25

I have been thinking about you. Thank goodness it all turned out! Little guy is so resilient. Give him a hug for me. There is no way in hell either of my kids would have handled it his well.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 11:13am
post #22 of 25

I'm glad to hear he did so well! How is mommy doing? icon_wink.gif

mbelgard Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

I'm glad to hear he did so well! How is mommy doing? icon_wink.gif

I did way better than I thought I would too. It really helped that he was so good about it. I know it's a simple procedure so my biggest worry was about how he felt about it and since he was fine with it didn't really bother me either. After he left I didn't really start worrying until after the doctor came to talk to me and I was just worried about how he was going to feel waking up without me there.

He was off to school today, I'm sure his teacher is going to get an earful about everything from the parking garage to the apple juice they gave him. icon_lol.gif

sweettoothmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #24 of 25

Oh that is good to hear that he recovered so well and everything worked out for you.

May I ask what is IHS?

mbelgard Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:44pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom

May I ask what is IHS?

Indian Health Services, it's run by the BIA

My husband and sons are of Native descent and we live on a reservation. It's free health care for Native Americans basically, they run clinics and small hospitals on reservations. If an IHS doctor refers you out then they will cover the expense of that too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%