Need Help Asap- Frostng For Cake Competition!!!

Decorating By raynardm Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm by all4cake

raynardm Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

ok, am entering a cake in a county fair competition. The drop-off is friday afternoon and the judges will judge that night or sat am. the cake then needs to be on display through sunday evening.

I just realized my standard frosting (magnolia's bakery recipe) will fall apart because of the butter content- there is no refrigeration on site and the temp is supposed to be 73-77 degrees, showcase is in a tent with little vent.- does anyone have a frosting they can recommend? the cake will only be tasted if there is a tie on the decorating scores but of course it has to taste decent, not be a dummy frosting.

thanks so much!!!!!

4 replies
CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 5

That is madness....they are going to let a cake sit out for 2-3 days and then expect it to taste good?? That makes no sense - I sure wouldn't want to be one of those judges!! I would be using a crisco based icing for a cake that needs to sit out all that time - certainly not the same icing I would use for a cake that is to be eaten promptly. I would inquire about this......

mandifrye Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 5

I would use Indydebi's buttercream, it is all shortening based and I think that it would hold up well in the temp and through judging. As far as tasting, it tastes great fresh, I would think that it would be fine. I imagine it will just get "extra" crusty sitting out that long icon_razz.gif !

That's what I would do.

all4cake Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with CakeDiva73. I would inquire.

all4cake Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 5

I agree with CakeDiva73. I would inquire. Are they going to be under glass or something? To think, for 2-3 days, even if the icing held up, people with dirty fingers pointing at 'em(you know food is gonna fly off their fingertips!), breathing on know ol' Snotty Scotty will be dragged around the fairgrounds and into the competiton tent. Okay, I have an imagination for ugh situations. A shortening based one would be best choice for stamina and least likely to make them sick after that type of temperature conditions. They are taking risks as far as any other conditions.

Maybe, a separate cake is needed for the tasting portion? I have seen one state fair where a slice of cake, sealed in plastic was required....hmmmmmm...I may be thinking of the tasting competition.

Quote by @%username% on %date%