What Would Be Tacky?

Lounge By tiersfromheaven Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 5:34am by kimblyd

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 4

I need advice, sensible female advice. I am of hispanic descent, hubby's Irish descent. Our daughter will be fifteen in two years, and she has chosen to celebrate the spanish custom of Quinceneara just to be different from the rest of her non-hispanic friends.

But rather than having a big party she has decided on a desitination trip to Disney World, which she adores. So my question is, when you invite guests to travel to a party what do you pay for as the host?

I figure accomodations and park admission, and of course the birthday dinner. What about travel costs? Should I have to pay for those? My family is old school so there will be only one set of god parents and I will not be asking for monetary assistance. However, knowing my inlaws and own immediate family they will assist. I don't want to take advantage of their generosity and I plan on letting everyone know this is not a family reunion, it is DD's celebration.

I'd like to get some opinions and see what the majority would say. From the would be guest.

Also, which family members to invite? I will invite immediate, aunts and uncles, of course, but what about Hubby's cousins? I say this because two are godparents and the rest that are here in the US are not. And they are adults with no kids so I just don't see the need for the expense. As I said this is not a family reunion.

I want to keep the list to 15-20 which will include at least 4 of DD's friends and one for DS so he doesn't feel besieged by estrogen icon_lol.gif

Thanks all for any advice!

3 replies
smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 4

I know that people that do destination weddings do not usually pay for much for their guests.

IMO, I would offer to pay for the room and tickets and let them arrange their own transportation. But that is just me.

Stephanie

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:59am
post #3 of 4

I don't know what would be considered tacky, but as a guest I would appreciate knowing exactly what will be paid for and what I would need to cover. So e.g. gate admission, one meal covered, room transportation, other meals, souvenirs, sight seeing tours, whatever not covered. And also the sentiment of "We will completely understand if you cannot attend", because I wouldn't be able to afford to go.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:34am
post #4 of 4

My advice is to call Disney World right away and tell them what you are thinking about and find out up front what the options and costs would be and go from there. I know they plan what they call "Magical Gatherings" for groups, but not sure what is included or if any discounts are offered.

I'm afraid when you find out exactly what it will cost you to pay for a DW trip for that many people you are going to freak. If it were my daughter she would have to choose between the big party and the trip (family only, plus maybe one friend all expenses paid except for souvenirs).

We (DH, DD, and I) are going in 3 weeks for 7 nights. Our airfare is $600, we expect park tickets to be around $900, one night on property in a moderate resort is $225. The rest of the time we are staying off property in a free timeshare compliments of DH's parents. I still expect to spend over $4,000.00 once we add food (several character meals), souvenirs, and extras.

However, if you have family members who would love to go and don't mind paying their own way, then go for it. The memories would certainly last a lifetime. I would just get all my ducks in a row and let people know what to expect to have to pay well in advance.

HTH

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%