Fondant Questions

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 4:13am by preciosa225

preciosa225 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi All!

I have two questions regarding fondant that I hope someone can help me with.

1. When working with fondant I seem to get what I have read referred to as "elephant skin". I know that this is due to the fondant drying but I am not sure how to prevent it. I use satin ice, but even though I take it straight out of a new container and just roll it and apply it I still seem to get that "elephant skin" look!

2. When making decorations with either fondant or 50/50, they always look dusty and dull because of the cornstarch or powdered sugar that I used when rolling it out. How do I get rid of that dull look after the decorations have dried?

Please help!

Thx icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
nydivagirl Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:53am
post #2 of 5

This is a reply to the Elephant Skin Satin Ice post, hopefully it will go to the correct area as I am a newbie. I made my first fondant cake. I used Wiltons Boxed White Fondant. It was very easy to use. I first crumb coated my two tier cake with store brought buttercream frosting. I then put the cake in the fridge overnite. To get ready to roll out my fondant, I sprayed my work suface with "Pam" and sprinkled a little powder sugar on the work surface. I also sprayed my roller with "Pam" and also put a little "crisco" on my hands.
After rolling out the fondant I used my rolling pin to transfer the fondant onto my cake. It worked perfectly. I than made sure when smoothing the fondant onto the cake I used a upward motion when pulling the fondant to tuck into the bottom of the cake. I then used a smoother on the top and sides of the cake. I got all my great tips on working with fondant from cake central and Ms. Edna de la Cruz videos. I was very happy with the results. I am in no way experience at making cakes or using fondant but I must say my fondant covered cake was extremly smooth and looked awesome, I took pics and will try to post soon. I just ordered Satin Ice a few days ago and will try it soon. I probably will stick with fondant anyway because I just loved the results. Hope this helps.

lh Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:08am
post #3 of 5

you have to knead your fondant really well until it is very pliable or add a thin layer of shortening. This takes away dryness which will prevent elephant skin.... as far as the dusty dull look, i dont use constarch or sugar, just rub a very very light layer of shortening on your work surface

kimberlina25 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #4 of 5

for get rid of the dusty dullness of dried fondant, take a paint brush and brush either vodka or a high alcohol content extract (mint, lemon, etc. check back of box to see how much is in there) it will take off any excess dust and because of high alcohol, it will dry quick and not make it soggy (tried it with a lower alcohol extract, not pretty, it made it into a sticky gooey mess!)

preciosa225 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:13am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your help! I will keep these tips in mind and try it again!

Cari icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%