Taking Fondant Gumpaste Class And Have Questions

Decorating By smc_paralegal Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 5:51pm by Malakin

smc_paralegal Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 5

I am currently taking the Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste class and last night at class we used a 50/50 mix of Fondant and Gumpaste to make our handkerchief, swags, and drape. Before I could even finish them and get them to the cake they were drying so fast and cracking. Any advise on how to keep them from drying out so fast.

When I took my cake home last night, my kids ripped the decorations off and wanted to know why anyone would waste good money having that hard stuff on their cake. The kids are 18 and 16 and addicted to BC.

4 replies
auntsteff Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:17am
post #2 of 5

When I took that course, I made sure to wrap my fondant/gumpaste in plastic wrap and THEN I put it in a ziploc bag. When I was at home, I even put some crisco on it.

Also, even though my instructor insisted that we not use Crisco with the 50/50 mix, I left a very light coating on my mat or my rolling pin, but not both. Of course, I also put corn starch/powdered sugar on top of the crisco....

Also, if you are using only corn starch, try only powdered sugar or vice versa. Some people swear to use a 50/50 mix of corn starch & PS. Find what works for you. There is a reason they say practice, practice, practice!

Hollysuann Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 5

I just finished that class too. I too used a bit of crisco on the fondant/gumpaste mix. Our instructor didn't say anything about NOT using it. She actually encouraged us to use it. My drape and other decorations hardened up but didn't crack. HTH!

TexasSugar Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:34am
post #4 of 5

Use less gumpaste and more fondant. We have that problem in class, especially when the AC is on and blowing down on the tables. Another thing is that it takes you a while to roll it out and cut it out then in class you are sitting there waiting for everyone to catch up and that gives it drying time as well.

Malakin Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 5

I know I'm anal retentive, but I actually went through the trouble of weighing both out on a scale so I could have exactly 50/50. I didn't have any problems at all with drying out but I wrapped them just about air tight. Course, I definitely agree with your kids, Yuck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%