People Are So Offended These Days...

Lounge By mellormom Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm by sweettoothmom

mellormom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 63

Why is it that people are so offended by anything and everything these days? If a comedian makes a joke about another race people get all upset and it causes so many people to get there panties in an uproar. It's just a joke people! It doesn't mean he is a racist. And yes, I'm white so I haven't had to endure some of the comments that other races do but I still think that if you let those comments offend you then they have won.
Or the fact that no one really knows what the pres. candidates stand for because they so busy being offended by what someone said about them. Or what a 2nd cousin twice removed believes must be what the candidate believes because everyone in the same family or circle of friends has the same beliefs you know.
Life is to short to care about what other people think of you, your race, or job, your life, your religion.... (Of course there are exceptions like murderers and things like that)
My best friend is gay and he had to hide who he was for years because of people that get so offended by gays and can't just keep to themselves. It's fine if you don't agree with people being gay but when you tell the whole world that no one can be gay because you don't believe in it, it makes me mad!
I'm not religious but I don't go around telling people you can't believe in god because I don't. Believing in god helps a lot of people in there daily lives. Some of my closest friends are religious and that is great for them, it's just not for me.
I know I'm probably stirring up controversy and that was not my intention! I just am frustrated at how politically correct we have become as a society. There are much more important issues facing America right now.
Jen...

62 replies
sarahpierce Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 63

Thank You!
People take offense to everything. I am who I am, take it or leave it. If you don't like it, move on.
I have always believed- to each their own. That is what makes our country free. I personally am very sarcastic. Some call it rude, others call it wit. I am not going to censor myself to please others.
Some people get so stressed about what others are doing or saying, and as soon as you post your opinion they get all in an uproar. There are at least 4 threads on CC alone right now with this going on. Well excuse the hell out of me. I'm a member here too, and if you don't want the truth or others opinons then don't post on a public forum. And the easiest solution is if you don't like it, then don't look. This is a really hard concept for some.

Just my opinion. And not a humble one. icon_biggrin.gif (I made sure to put the smiley face, so I don't offend anyone icon_lol.gif )

-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:13pm
post #3 of 63

While diversity is our friend I do agree that it ranges from difficult to nuclear-ly impossible to maintain an acceptable equilibrium in discussion.

Heads up.

Are you saying that you're offended by the intolerance? icon_lol.gif

mellormom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 63

I'm glad someone agrees with me! I to feel that the posts and comments get so out of hand! There is one pic that someone had to take off because people found it so offensive. It was just a cake of a baby in a womb and she stated that it was not meant to be eaten. But she got a ton of negative comments. Granted the cake was not my style but it was very well done and it didn't offend me in the least. Now of course I love the cake because of all the people who were so offended by it! LOL icon_lol.gif
I for one have better things to do than worry about what other people think.
I am who I am (as sarahpierce said) and if you don't like then your not worth my time!
Jen...

CakeDiva73 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #5 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Are you saying that you're offended by the intolerance? icon_lol.gif




rotflmao - that is good stuff Memphis! Ya gave me an almighty chuckle this morning. icon_smile.gif

mellormom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 63

Now I get the joke! I'm a little slow today. LOL To funny!!! Haven't had any caffeine today so.....
Jen...

GeminiRJ Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 63

I think it's unfortunate that some people seem to purposefully look for ways to be offended. Lots of things offend me, but unless it's going to cause physical harm and it's just an opinion, I try to keep my mouth shut. (Works great when dealing with some of my inlaws!)

FeGe_Cakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 63

I'm not easily offended and I am a person of color. I believe most people get more offended because the other side (race, sex, religion, political views, etc) can not put themselves in the other persons' shoes and try to see their point of view. Not that you agree with it but you can understand why a person might feel that way. I am not talking about people's avatars, bulletins, and all that stuff. I'm talking about true issues that have been around for years, decades, centuries. And no matter how we try to ignore it or pretend because we are in the 21st centrury, stuff should not offend or hurt you, for some it still does and we need to be a little more understanding and opening up the communication and ask questions "Why does THAT offend you?" Most people will tell you.

That's my 2 cents.

OhMyGanache Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 63

Isn't this a topic that belongs in the lounge?

sarahpierce Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 63

Cakes don't offend me. Neither does decorating.


There now it talks about cake decorating so the topic doesn't have to be moved. icon_biggrin.gif (and there's the smiley so people know I'm kidding, and don't get offended) icon_biggrin.gif and another for good measure. icon_lol.gif ohh, this could go on forever. icon_wink.gif

littlecake Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

While diversity is our friend I do agree that it ranges from difficult to nuclear-ly impossible to maintain an acceptable equilibrium in discussion.

Heads up.

Are you saying that you're offended by the intolerance? icon_lol.gif




crap kate, now i can't be offended at people being offended....you're taking all the fun out....ha ha

dang kate, you need to go on last comic standing...i'd vote for ya!

BCJean Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 63

thumbs_up.gif

mellormom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 63

icon_redface.gif thought I posted in the lounge sorry. That was my intention anyway.
Jen...

Solecito Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom


Life is to short to care about what other people think of you, your race, or job, your life, your religion.... (Of course there are exceptions like murderers and things like that)




You said it!! thumbs_up.gif
I don't really think people can be happy if they get offended so easily.

KoryAK Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 63

Are we seriously now offended that the topic has been posted in the wrong heading?? holy crap! lol

anyhoo... does anyone read the posts that way anyway? I just click on new posts since last visit, so it gives me 'em all mixed up anyway.

And I'm with you mellormom, ppl are too uptight! take a joke! don't force your beliefs (especially about god - which I don't believe in either) on other ppl. Just be a good person and be happy. thats it.

nickshalfpint Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:05pm
post #16 of 63

It takes alot to offend me. I don't understand why people feel they need to be rude to get their point across. It's one thing to state your opinion, but be tactful when you do it. I wonder if those people would make the same comments face to face? Probably not. And mellormom, don't feel bad for posting in the wrong forum, it happens to the best of us. Jeez, I can't imagine how many people I've offended by doing that =) =)

sweettoothmom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #17 of 63

I recently was told I offended a few in posts and I personally posted an apology title ASHAMED in an attempt to correct my "evil ways".

I recieved a lot of supportive posts and it did reassure me.

I am one who believes there are just some things that shouldnt be discussed because they inflame people. Religion(views on same sex issues fall in this category), politics(race issues fall in this category) and money.
It is my southern roots and all I assume. The irreverence that is involved in making a sarcastic comment is meant to be funny and to make us laugh at ourselves. To not take life so seriously. It is very hard to avoid those three "no, no" subjects though if you are ALIVE!!!!

I do not ask people about thier religious stance, thier money standings or thier political viewpoints. I just ask people to do the same. It is not too hard to do because most people do not even realize that they offer the info even if we do not want to know. So I dont have to ASK, they tell me and I therefore it is FREE ammo.
Now I pick on everyone without discreation. All in good fun and never out of meanness though.
An open mind is a empty box waiting to be filled!

mkolmar Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:36pm
post #18 of 63

CC has lost a lot of good members due to sensitivity. However, I'm sure everyone's noticed that some people who post are anything but kind at times. I've seen many of an attack on some people for their beliefs, work or ideas that were not trying to force their opinions on others.
What nickshalfpint posted I 100% agree with.
I myself made an observation and posted it. I got heat for my opinion. Was that the right thing to do. No, it wasn't. People can disagree and still be kind in doing so. It's when people talk down to you and act as if your thoughts don't matter, that I disagree with. In that thread I made a mistake and apologized to someone because the way they worded things was meant as a joke, but was worded not like that. I thought maybe I was just actually being sensitive for once. (My DH says I'm lacking a sensitivity chip and I'm not one to cry.) I had a lot of members pm me saying that so many people were rude to me, so I guess I wasn't being as sensitive as I thought.
However this time I misread one post. It happens. On a computer you can not tell the persons tone in which the post was made. It's easy to get wires crossed so to speak.

Certain topics should be off limits. I never even post to these threads. If I disagree or don't like the thread I simply don't post. It's that simple.

littlecake Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

icon_redface.gif thought I posted in the lounge sorry. That was my intention anyway.
Jen...




nothin to be sorry about thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mbelgard Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #20 of 63

I think it's a fine line, there are times when people should try to be more sensitive and others where people need to grow a thicker skin.


I really think that prayer/religious comments are something that should be avoided in many cases. I don't really have an issue with people requesting prayer in a thread but to tell someone they're praying for them without knowing about religion isn't exactly polite. When they have a signature line that implies or states that they aren't religious it's downright rude. I'm still trying to decide how to react to someone telling me they'd pray for me in a thread I started, I don't want to be rude but I think my signature makes it pretty obvious that I'm not religious.


I'm so not religious that my children don't even know what prayer really is.

MrsMissey Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #21 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

icon_redface.gif thought I posted in the lounge sorry. That was my intention anyway.
Jen...




It has been moved to the lounge! thumbs_up.gif

mixinvixen Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #22 of 63

[quote="mbelgard"]I think it's a fine line, there are times when people should try to be more sensitive and others where people need to grow a thicker skin.


I really think that prayer/religious comments are something that should be avoided in many cases. I don't really have an issue with people requesting prayer in a thread but to tell someone they're praying for them without knowing about religion isn't exactly polite. When they have a signature line that implies or states that they aren't religious it's downright rude. I'm still trying to decide how to react to someone telling me they'd pray for me in a thread I started, I don't want to be rude but I think my signature makes it pretty obvious that I'm not religious.


I'm so not religious that my children don't even know what prayer really is.[/quote

an explanation of why us "religious nuts" sometimes do this: i am one of those people who sometimes offers up prayer...and i seldom look at someone's signature line. i am never offended when someone says they'll talk to the gods, or allah, or buddha, etc, although i differ in my beliefs. in my opinion, as humble as it may be, i'll take someone's good thoughts that they're sending my way, even if they pray to the green grinch...it shows their concern for me, and their willingness to show compassion. as long as they are not asking me to pray to the grinch alongside of them, i'm grateful. the point is that they're taking your problem to heart, and extending something to you in friendship that they are willing to share.

if you bring lemon pie to my house because it's what you bake best, and i just so happen to hate lemon pie...does that mean i should feel offended? icon_biggrin.gif


starla

Jasmine33 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Quote:

Isn't this a topic that belongs in the lounge?




Oh no. It's the ...thread police!!!

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

doitallmom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I think it's unfortunate that some people seem to purposefully look for ways to be offended. Lots of things offend me, but unless it's going to cause physical harm and it's just an opinion, I try to keep my mouth shut. (Works great when dealing with some of my inlaws!)




Ditto, that works so much better than turning it into a loooong process that may unneccesarily hurt someone

nickshalfpint Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:34pm
post #25 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33

Quote:
Quote:

Isn't this a topic that belongs in the lounge?



Oh no. It's the ...thread police!!!

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif





That's the funniest thing I've seen all day.

mbelgard Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:49am
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen



an explanation of why us "religious nuts" sometimes do this: i am one of those people who sometimes offers up prayer...and i seldom look at someone's signature line. i am never offended when someone says they'll talk to the gods, or allah, or buddha, etc, although i differ in my beliefs. in my opinion, as humble as it may be, i'll take someone's good thoughts that they're sending my way, even if they pray to the green grinch...it shows their concern for me, and their willingness to show compassion. as long as they are not asking me to pray to the grinch alongside of them, i'm grateful. the point is that they're taking your problem to heart, and extending something to you in friendship that they are willing to share.

if you bring lemon pie to my house because it's what you bake best, and i just so happen to hate lemon pie...does that mean i should feel offended? icon_biggrin.gif


starla




While I appreciate the idea behind it I feel that offering prayer where it isn't requested on a forum that isn't religious can create some awkward situations. What should someone like me say in response when we think that prayer won't help anymore that you blowing your nose?

That's why I stay out of prayer request threads, it's far more polite for me to just stay out of it than mention my beliefs.

And people really should look at the signatures. Mine was put up after seeing a few other people having to deal with preaching or prayer offers when they weren't religious to keep from having to deal with something uncomfortable for both parties.

indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:09am
post #27 of 63

I take no one seriously ..... ergo I'm rarely offended, because I figure everyone is looking at life like me .... laugh, have a good time and enjoy your space on this earth .... life's too short to get SO serious on SO many things.

So if you're every really really trying to offend me, you may just have to tap me on the shoulder to do it! icon_biggrin.gif

mixinvixen Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:26am
post #28 of 63

[quote="mbelgard"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen





While I appreciate the idea behind it I feel that offering prayer where it isn't requested on a forum that isn't religious can create some awkward situations. What should someone like me say in response when we think that prayer won't help anymore that you blowing your nose?

.




thank you would suffice...i believe it truly is the thought that counts.

mixinvixen Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #29 of 63

[quote="mbelgard"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen





While I appreciate the idea behind it I feel that offering prayer where it isn't requested on a forum that isn't religious can create some awkward situations. What should someone like me say in response when we think that prayer won't help anymore that you blowing your nose?

.




thank you would suffice...i believe it truly is the thought that counts.

Swede-cakes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:44am
post #30 of 63

I ride the middle on this. I think that while a clever wit is something to be appreciated and can be entertaining, not all wit is indeed clever.

Sarcasm can go beyond clever, and cross the line into rude and overdone. I've read, and been the recipient of, some comments that I bet some of you would probably rally around and consider sarcastic wit. In these cases, I see it more as the author trying to excuse their own lack good manners and tact by labeling themselves "I-have-a-sarcastic-wit-so-accept-it-or-kiss-my-barndoor".

It's interesting to me that, in this age of emails instead of handwritten notes, the "old fashioned" courtesies of tact and finesse are becoming lost even though we're utilizing the written word more than ever because of computers.

Ok, I'm a big girl. Flame away! icon_lol.gif G'nite all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%