Fondant/gum Paste Problems

Decorating By Beverly5876 Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm by JoAnnB

Beverly5876 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:33am
post #1 of 2

I'm attempting to make my own fondant and gum paste. My first MMF for horrid. I was able to roll it out and put it on the cake but, then it started pulling apart like the slime monster. I figured that I just hadn't worked in enough sugar. So, I sat for about 20 minutes and worked in enough sugar so that it finally (even two days later) still has the consistency of the Wilton's fondant.

The gum paste is another matter! When I first worked it up, I added in all the sugar that it called for and it felt good. The next was a runny blob. So, I worked in another 1 1/2 cups of sugar. It felt perfect. I was even able to work with it a bit. But, the next day after that, I had to add in more sugar. I'm not sure what the consistency is supposed to be but, I'm thinking that it's supposed to be like the fondant. Anyway, I did work with it a bit and was able to make the first layer for a carnation. It didn't take very long for the thin part to dry out. Somebody please tell me how hard this is supposed to dry. I've heard that when you use gum paste, you don't want to eat the items because they dry so awfully hard. Does this simply matter upon how thick the item is as to whether you can eat it or not? This this supposed to dry like concrete so that even a small this disc would chip a tooth? I'm at a loss.

Why do I have to keep adding sugar? What consistency should it be? And, exactly how hard should it dry? It almost feels like those rubber slimy toys I used to get out of the gum machine when I was a child. Well, it's not quite that bad any more but, it's not far from it.

1 reply
JoAnnB Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 2

I would strongly recommend buying a 'ready to use' package of gumpaste so you can feel it and use it, then you will know what your target should be. It does feel a little like fondant. Wilton's is a fine product. It does sometimes need just a dab of shortening to make it soft and pliable.

GP should dry hard, but it is still possible to eat it-think hard sugar candy. It isn't very tasty, and lots of things are made on wires, making them not edible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%