Saggy Fondant... Why?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 6:42am by dcabrera

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:39am
post #1 of 4

I ordered satin ice in several different colors and I love it. However, one of the tubs/fondant is very gummy and moist. No matter how thick I roll it out and cover my cake it always seems to tear off on the sides. I tried adding gum tex to firm it up a bit and it didn't help. Any suggestions?

3 replies
dcabrera Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #2 of 4

I also forgot to mention that when I smooth the fondant it always looks like there's cottage cheese under it. Why?? icon_cry.gif

Peachez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachez Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 4

I love Satin Ice...that said, their pre-mixed colors are really soft. I'm not sure why that is but I've run into that before & decided it was just better to color it myself or airbrush it. To firm it up try kneeding in some powdered sugar a little bit at a time to get the consistancy you need/want. The lumpyness I'm not sure about. Are you icing under the fondant? I always use a thin layer to help the fondant stick to the cake & it makes the playing field level before hand...win-win.

Hope that helps thumbs_up.gif

dcabrera Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 6:42am
post #4 of 4

I did a thin layer of pastry pride. I think your right about the premixed color being too soft. Will ps change the color of my fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%