Can You Picture This Cake In Your Head???

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 4:26am by Tashablueyes

ShopGrl1128 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #1 of 17

I received this cake inquire through decidio, first I was speechless and then I tried to make sense of it and got I headache.
Can you honestly picture this cake and think..."wow that would look cool".

Here is the train wreck:

"The theme is a celebration of 65 years... I'd like the cake to be made with traditional white wedding cake for flavor with white icing and decorations as noted: I'd like it to have a white background and you can add some small flowers, piping etc. on the borders and as fillers, but I want some simple drawings on the cake and can provide a sketch of what is desired. The cake should include the drama mask (comedy/tragedy) in one corner (bottom left), a Mardi Gras mask in the top right corner, a roller coaster in the top left corner, and the old lady in the shoe in the bottom right corner that shows 4 kids (2 boys and 2 girls) .. In the middle I want " Celebrating 65 years...." in large print at the top (arched) under that is "Happy Birthday P... / Nana T..." (also arched) and under that a drawing of a woman on the top of a hill. The hill should be green with flowers, some blue sky with clouds, butterflies, etc.. to make it a happy place. All drawings in icing so they are edible. . I'd like the cake made round / square / rectangle whatever works with two tiers that will serve 25-30 people would be fantastic, but a large sheet style cake is fine too".

16 replies
janelwaters Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:11am
post #2 of 17

Holy crap! I have a headache!! i'm sure that all of that has some significant meaning, but come on!

Good luck with that one! If you do it, you have GOT to post pics!

bizatchgirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:15am
post #3 of 17

Busy, busy, busy! That would be fun maybe in a topsy turvy type cake meant to be busy and cluttered, but not the way he's asking for it. Good luck making something so busy look tasteful.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:20am
post #4 of 17

Evelyn, are you SURE it is a REAL cake order? It sounds kind of like the cake scam that was going around. I apologize if it is a real order, be sure and double check that, if it IS a real order and you make it....I would LOVE to see the pics!

panchanewjersey Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 17

That's funny, just tell him your charging $500 for this and he'll leave you alone. hahahaha Because in end this sounds like one of those CUSTOMERS that will say, "It's not what I expected, but oh well." Good luck!

pinklesley1 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:37am
post #6 of 17

diamondsblackvelvet... that is the same thing that i thought.. i actually had someone ask me to make a 5 tier wedding cake to be picked up by a courier...
to be shipped to alabama...
so i quoted the guys $1100.00
and then he tld me to add the $800 for the shipper, bc i had to pay him.
i was wierded out so i never replied to the last email that he sent me, that was that he was k with the price...

i dont know what to make of those scams...

katefrosting Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:44am
post #7 of 17

Actually, I can see my vision of the cake in my head. To express on a cake what the would be client has conveyed verbally, I would use a sheet cake. For the various elements that have been described, I would treat them as a series of vignettes. Putting the client in the best possible light, I would be flattered that he or she came to me to set their memories in frosting. My price for a sheet cake to serve 30 decorated as requested, approximately $125.00.

DesignsByMandie Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:52am
post #8 of 17

Hmmmm......I cant imagine trying to make that and make it tasteful....Like the others said it prob has meaning to it but good Lord....I agree they prob wont like the out come...I haven't gotten any of those kind of scams...I only ad on Craigs list right now and I just get people emailing me saying I am interested in your "item" listed....Ummmm....It is not one item it is a CAKE...So I immediately know...I too would like to see the pics when it is done if it all works out...Good Luck and let us know!!!

panchanewjersey Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:54am
post #9 of 17

kakefrosting, are you sure? Sounds too good to be true for $125.00

SugarFrosted Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:00am
post #10 of 17

That sounds a lot like my Life Quilt sheet cakes. Here is an example:
Click on the image to make it bigger so you can see it more clearly around my watermark.

katefrosting Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:04am
post #11 of 17

I think I might make the cake as described, for myself, as an exercise for interpreting customer requests. If I do, I will post pictures.
As for the price, I recently made a cake for an acquaintance. It was a Porsche emblem for her boss. His favorite cake is German chocolate and he has a Porsche. I charged her $75.00 for the cake. Normally, I would never decorate a German chocolate cake. But that is what the client wanted, and I knew I could do it. For anyone else that cake would have been about $150 to $175.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:14pm
post #12 of 17
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

Evelyn, are you SURE it is a REAL cake order? It sounds kind of like the cake scam that was going around. I apologize if it is a real order, be sure and double check that, if it IS a real order and you make it....I would LOVE to see the pics!

Iâve got the cake inquire/order scam that many people here has got...the âhappy married lifeâ one, but this one seems like a real order.
Most likely all the stuff this person wants on the cake has some special meaning, as some of you mentioned but trying to squeeze
so many things into one small cake it just crazyâ¦

Making a sheet cake is not an option for meâ¦I hate making sheet cakes because not matter how awesome I want to make it people
always expect to pay the same they pay for grocery store sheet cakes.

Iâm not sure if I want to place a bid on this, but I am curious to see how it would look.

cakedout Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 17 my perfect decorating world icon_lol.gif this is what I would do:

a square base tier with one of the requested icing figure-piped drawings on each side of the cake.

the top 'tier' would be a 'hill' complete with the required flowers and butterflies and a little gumpaste woman figurine sitting on the top.

Hopefully there would be wom room on the top edges of the square cake to write the message kinda around the base of the hill.

Anywho....that's my idea. thumbs_up.gif

sugarcheryl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:21pm
post #14 of 17

That is a busy cake and I would try to persuade them to with a topsy turvy cake to incorporate all the idea's the client wants. I wish you the best but I would put a high price to really see if they are really serious and not wasting your time. Let us know how it turned out.

KHalstead Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:38pm
post #15 of 17

I would think you could do it but as I was reading I was picturing a 3 or even 4 tiered cake with that stuff on each tier alternating the sides. How would you fit all of that onto 2 tiers??? The arched lettters could be done with choc. or gumpaste letters on lollipop sticks all sticking out of the cake at varying heights.

melvin01 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:11pm
post #16 of 17

I can picture the cake (or how I'd go about making it, anyway). I'm with you about staying away from a sheet cake.

I see doing two tiers and I like the idea of having them know what, maybe just a square cake would work if you have one large enough to feed 25-30 people (then you could do one image on each side of the cake as opposed to on top with the wording and everything else), but I'd like a classier look of a two tiered cake.

I'd stagger the squares to give it more personality.

On the bottom tier I'd actually alternate each side with the drama mask and the old lady in the shoe. On the top tier sides, I'd do an alternate roller coaster and mardi gras mask (so 2 images of each items she wants). I'd do them out of fondant if possible or if you can get edible images of all of those, mount them to fondant to put onto the cake (will save you a lot of time when you go to assemble). I know you would have to have 8 images as opposed to 4 but it seems more balanced to do that as opposed to having a front and empty back of the cake.

Then you have the top tier that you can make the woman on the mountain (although it will probably end up looking like a small hill depending on size). I'd just do that flat on the top of the cake, using a toothpick to sketch in the mountain and then the grass tip to drag in some grass to fill it in.

For the wording, I like what KHalstead said and do the sign on lollypop sticks. If you have a program that you can use a nice font (having it curved like they want) and put it sticking up out of the cake on top, I think it would look nice and that way it won't be so tight on the top tier.

That is what I'm thinking I would try. Talk to the client and see what they think. Hopefully this doesn't sound too crazy, that is the only way I can think of doing it.

Good luck!

Tashablueyes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:26am
post #17 of 17

I think it just sounds like a fairy tale cake. Ask if you can make it sort of cartoony and I think it could be cute. A pain in the butt, but cute, like all these characters in a flower garden, you know?

Quote by @%username% on %date%