How Do You Feel Answering Pm When They Ask Like This??

Decorating By wendy1273 Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 7:01pm by Price

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #91 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I was sweating bullets there for awhile! It just doesn't pay to get on the wrong side of the mistress of the dark...chocolate!

Har har har matey! That be the truth, don't it? Arrr!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 3:52pm
post #92 of 152

Has anyone ever felt like they were picked at random for a question?

I've had a couple where people have asked me things about how they should price things like cookie bouquets. I sell VERY rarely and I have never sold a cookie bouquet.

I don't mind short questions but when it seems like you just grabbed a name out of a hat I don't know how to respond.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:17pm
post #93 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I'm so glad you brought this up. I've been silently agonizing over this for quite some time. It doesn't just happen here on CC, but also on my Webshots page.

Sometimes I'll get a please and thank you request for instructions, send the instructions, then never hear from the requestor again. When I don't get a 'thank you' I feel taken advantage of. Like JanH said, I'm not a computer. I'm not a tutorial machine.

For some reason, I get tons of requests for instructions for my dirt bike cake. The last few people I sent the instructions to (in 3 different continents!) never acknowledged my effort.

Since then, I've just been ignoring future requests. I don't know how to say, "Due to the rudeness of your fellow man, I'm not sending out any more instructions." What I'd REALLY like to say is, "I'd be delighted to send you the instructions upon receipt of the $50.00 tutorial purchase price."

I was feeling charitable the other day when I received a request from someone I don't know to 'walk her through' a certain cake. I emailed her to ask her what her skill level was and never heard back. Now I know how valuable she thinks my time is.

It's really insulting to get what amounts to a DEMAND for the instructions for something I've worked hard to accomplish, with no acknowlegment.

Unfortunately, people with bad manners don't recognize themselves. I don't expect those people to change. But, I appreciate the opportunity to get this off my chest.

I think asking someone their skill level like that can be rude too...no wonder she didn't e-mail you back!LOL

Really? Wouldn't you like to know whether or not you need to start at square one with a student? I mean, my instructions for someone who has lots of experience with gumpaste will be far different than those for someone who has never heard of gumpaste.

I don't want to waste someone else's time by giving them advanced instructions they can't understand. And I don't want to waste my time, the student's time - as well as possibly insulting their intelligence - by giving basic, elementary instructions.

I think inquiring as to a person's skill level is essential to giving proper instructions.

BTW, I'm not sure what you meant by "I think asking someone their skill level like that..." I didn't ask abruptly, if that's what you're implying. I explained my reason for asking, just as I explained it to you right now. icon_biggrin.gif

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:55pm
post #94 of 152

First of all -- thanks so much to all of you fabulous folks who provide so much inspiration and information!! I did think that pm was a little rude. I would be much nicer if I requested directions (if I ever get brave enough to ask.)

I personally have only asked for directions once, and only because the CC'er indicated we could pm her for directions (for the SPS stuff). I've always thought I didn't really want to take up their time.

I see a lot of photos with 30 requests in the comments section for directions -- I've always thought that was sorta' rude. The person who posted the picture is supposed to write directions - then pm or email 30 people - using up a few hours of precious time out of their day?

But, then again, I'd probably be terribly flattered if a bunch of people asked for directions for something I did! So - maybe I will next time there's something I would really, really love to try.

Kind of a side note -- I have learned a lot from the youtube videos (ty, tonedna!) and have purchase Aine2's tutorials. Charging a small fee for a specific tutorial I'm sure would go over really well, and make it worth your time and efforts.

And I'd love to see more articles here on CC. I'm awestruck daily by all you talented folks here!

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:53pm
post #95 of 152

I really feel that we are like a family here and I respect every opinion but sometimes some topics get really heated just like when you are in the living room of your mothers house with everyone expressing their opinion.

Please express your opinion without taking it personal. Thank you

NOW, Melvira and tonedna where is my margarita?? I'm waiting for it.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:17pm
post #96 of 152

I am sorry to admit that I have done this a time or two. Generally in forums and such it's so often treated as a bad thing to "waste people's time" by writing long posts and comments, so I think it's easy to get conditioned to just do that. I would like to apologize to anyone who may have ever been offended by me. It truly never occurs to me to make a big introduction and everything, after all, here everything comes connected to our screen name and everything. But I always try to be polite and make a personalized comment about what I liked about the cake or why I'm asking for the instructions. I really, really appreciate all the talent her and how willing everyone is to share icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #97 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

yummy...margaritas!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

My voices speak spanish icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
haha
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I'm off to learn some spanish so I can understand all of the voices!!!

How fast do you think I can pick it up? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:46pm
post #98 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

yummy...margaritas!!!!!!!!!!!!!lol

My voices speak spanish icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
haha
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I'm off to learn some spanish so I can understand all of the voices!!!

How fast do you think I can pick it up? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

\\

Ok ...first lesson..
cake....bizcocho
thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:00pm
post #99 of 152

Ah, I remember when I discovered margaritas! My warehouse manager in Nogales AZ introduced me to them. I'll never forgive her, though, for taking me to a place that had a really crooked floor, making it hard for me to walk out at the end of the night! icon_rolleyes.gif

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #100 of 152

Well, I just wanted to say, I have been receiving a whole bunch of pm's lately and they have all been very kind!!! I cant remember if I have forgotten to get back to anyone myself, so I am apologizing right now!!! I always try to get back to everyone as soon as I can. I love helping others, and love how much help actually goes around here on CC!!!! You CC'ers are the BEST!!! FABULOUS!!!!!

Now on that note, I REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT TO BE IN THE MARGARITA CLUB!!!!!! PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

How about some blueberry and pomegranate martini's too!!! My favs!!!

Jessica icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:12am
post #101 of 152

Here's the strange part... I know maybe 20 words in Spanish, and the voices in my head still speak it! icon_razz.gif

Ok, that's funny... every time I see a Spanish thread on the home page that says 'bizcocho' I thought it was a curse word! You know, like how in English we say 'bizatchy' instead of saying the actual b word? Hehehehe. Ok I'm kidding.

Debi, darn those crooked floors anyway! That's just wrong!! I don't drink very often, but a good margarita on the rocks will convince me to!

Jessica, you are invited if you bring a pitcher of the martinis... those sound awesome too!

tonedna Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #102 of 152

Lmao Melvira..are those voices hot latin males speaking naughty things!...icon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:16am
post #103 of 152

Melvira, I don't drink often either, which is why my kids find it so funny! The standard joke is how they make fun of their mom the time I was sitting there smacking my lips together and saying verr-r-r-y slo-o-o-o-wly, "My LIPS are NUMB!""

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #104 of 152

I can honestly say I have never gotten a rude or semi-impersonal request for instructions. I do REALLY appreciate knowing that the recipient received the e-mail or PM with the complete instructions.
Some of them are very long.

xstitcher Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:01am
post #105 of 152
Quote:

Lmao Melvira..are those voices hot latin males speaking naughty things!...icon_lol.gif

Are these going to be part of the lessons! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

tonedna Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:03am
post #106 of 152
Quote:

Quote:

Are these going to be part of the lessons! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_razz.gif

Yeah!!...with some bootie shaking and salsa dancing!!!!
icon_razz.gif Edna

xstitcher Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:05am
post #107 of 152
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

icon_razz.gif Edna

Ohhh,

I can't wait!!!! When's lesson 2?????

deej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deej Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:15am
post #108 of 152
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

icon_razz.gif Edna

OOOHHHH... salsa dancing and margaritas!!! Count me in!!

xstitcher Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:19am
post #109 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by deej

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

icon_razz.gif Edna

So who are we going to blame the crooked floors on!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:24am
post #110 of 152
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deej

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

icon_razz.gif Edna

So who are we going to blame the crooked floors on!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

We can blame the Margaritas!icon_lol.gif
Edna

Melvira Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:28am
post #111 of 152

Um... have you guys seen "Don Juan DeMarco" with Johnny Depp? That is exactly how the voices in my head sound. Oohhhhhh... Mel needs a moment alone. If you haven't seen that movie, then you absolutely HAVE to! Rent it, borrow it, buy it, steal it, I don't care, but SEE it.

tonedna Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 4:56am
post #112 of 152

Oh..Can I rent Johnny Depp and bypass the movie!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:28am
post #113 of 152

What gets on my nerves is when we take the time to write a clear and detailed response, but then the only response we get back is like a telegram.. one or two words.

Maybe next time, ignore a PM that sounds so "cold" and snutty. But I know what you mean by being helpful... there were times when I would even got thru the trouble of faxing it to them or dropping it in the mail to them. But then I did not hear anything back from the person that I helped. It's like they are telling us that we owe them something.. thumbsdown.giftapedshut.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

xstitcher Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:35am
post #114 of 152
Quote:

Oh..Can I rent Johnny Depp and bypass the movie!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Rent Johnny Depp!!!! You crack me up Edna!! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #115 of 152

Edna if you figure out how to rent Johnny Depp, you let me know... that is a membership card I am DEFINITELY signing up for!! thumbs_up.gif WOOOO!!

tonedna Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #116 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Edna if you figure out how to rent Johnny Depp, you let me know... that is a membership card I am DEFINITELY signing up for!! thumbs_up.gif WOOOO!!

But...but...but..I was going to rent to own icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

wendy1273 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #117 of 152

fondantgrl, I understand exactly, sometimes the way they ask it feel like I owe them something.

Tonedna, you can not own Johnny Depp because he belongs to me long time ago, get someone else icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

You ladies have me cracking up here icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

wendy1273 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:05pm
post #118 of 152

On another Note:

Is anyone here going to Atlantic City NJ, tomorrow for the American Baker Convention??

I have Classes with Bronwen Weber there tomorrow and I'm very excited.

Anyone?

shturpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shturpin Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:14pm
post #119 of 152

I'm too, am guilty of asking one liner questions. Since in person, nervouseness, stuttering, brain farts where i forget what i'm even talking about, etc....I tend to just write in shorthand most of the time. Also, i don't post my pics, and i have several digital cameras, is because i also don't think i'm good enough , yet. I once did a spongebob that could've been "Spongebob on Crack". My husband is my biggest supporter, kept telling me it was great, but that cake didn't go out of the house. When i get up the nerve , i'll post.

Edna....Love you period, your talent, wisdom, beauty, and just plain human kindness is an inspiration for all. If everyone was like you, the world would be a better place. Keep up the good work, and please let me join you for Margaritas ? If you ever make to Iowa, we'll hold a block party for you !!! Sheila

wendy1273 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #120 of 152

Shaila,
I started making cakes 10 months ago and I'm not an expert on anything, I just ask questions when I have something difficult to make. I really did not mean short messages when I started this post it was just that some messages sound like I have to give them the instructions instead of I'm doing a favor.
When I PM anyone I get responds from almost everyone and my messages are short.
Most of the messages I get are very short and nice but ounce in a wild I get those that sound very demanding but with that said I also can tell you that by reading thru all this post I understand better why people sometime do that and I know what to do now. Thank you and I'm sure that your PM's are just fine, like I said is not about short is about what you said and how.

And everyone is welcome to the margarita party I'm sure that Edna and Melvira will have enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%