How Do You Feel Answering Pm When They Ask Like This??

Decorating By wendy1273 Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 7:01pm by Price

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:58pm
post #31 of 152

Ok..jumping in. I think some people are not 'computer' friendly, nor have been taught ettiquite on how to write to others. My mom for a long time wrote everything in caps when she first got her computer until I explained to her what that means. For some new people, it's hard using a computer.

Personally I pm a few people asking questions, if they dont respond that is fine. Also, I think anyone would understand if you said, "Thanks so much for asking, I'm flattered but I'm afraid the family will hunt me down if I give out the secrets"

kr1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kr1970 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #32 of 152

Well as someone who has asked ( and i hope that i have always gotten across my complete respect for whoever i'm asking for help) I just want all of you who are willing to share to know- i think you are awesome! I know i would never ask for guidance from someone i didn't totally want to emulate. And i'm always telling my friends how awesome CC is b/c there are some incredible decorators here that are so open to sharing. I also think being from the 40 something age group that the generation just below mine uses email very differently and it's not a slight to anyone that they don't write out a longer note- it's just how they use email and probably lack of time. Just a thought please don't stop sharing - I really appreciate you all!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #33 of 152

I recently (a month ago) PM'ed someone just for some pointers. In no way, was it a tell me how you did it step by step. I thought the email was very pleasant and I told her how much I loved her work. (which is no lie, I really do).
I never got a response!
I would have at least liked to have received a "sorry, I can't help you." than nothing at all!! Don't people have manners any more?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:20pm
post #34 of 152

first of all, english isn't my first language, i don't live in the US (went to college in the US for my bachelor's, but that was it), so forgive me if i had ever sounded rude whenever i typed something.

i thank the OP for this thread, as i was/am guilty for some of the issues the OP raised up.

i never introduced myself whenever i PMed anyone.. ok.. gotta change that, i guess... i've PMed a few experienced members here to learn more from them, and i always say thank you in advance, & also thank you later on. but now, i know, i *may* have annoyed them for not introducing myself, if any of them read this, i sincerely apologize.

secondly, as the OP mentioned, she sometimes didn't feel like responding to the PMs if the sender didn't have any pictures posted. again. i am super-guilty for that, however, the reason i don't post any pics is because i don't have excellent cake pics to post yet, it's not like i bake every week. or even every month. i've only started using frostings & such in may this year, and don't have enough practice to get decent looking cakes to put up here on CC. my cakes are nothing compared to the cakes here. so.. it is not like i don't want to share my cake pics, but no one would want to look at them anyway. when i get to make fairly decent looking cakes, i promise, they would be posted here!

sorry this is very long... sorry again if my english sounded odd.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:46pm
post #35 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

secondly, as the OP mentioned, she sometimes didn't feel like responding to the PMs if the sender didn't have any pictures posted. again. i am super-guilty for that, however, the reason i don't post any pics is because i don't have excellent cake pics to post yet

Please don't think you have to have an excellent cake to post a picture of it! Regardless of how you view it, it could provide inspiration to another decorator. I understand, though, what you're saying. Someone once remarked that unless you had pictures posted, you shouldn't comment on anyone else's stuff. I didn't have anything posted at the time because I didn't have access to a digital camera. Fixed that little problem! I'm sure no one thinks less of you or your opinions because you haven't posted. I would just encourage you to post. Don't wait until the cake is "good enough" because we're all our own worst critics, and you may never be satisfied with your handiwork.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:02pm
post #36 of 152

Ok, you know me, I have a million opinions and for some reason think everyone wants to hear them icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

I just want to add one thing... there is a HUGE difference between politely asking for something in a concise way and being rude. For those of you who like to get right to the point, I LOVE IT. But, do it politely. You don't have to slather me up with compliments. You can simply say, "Hi, I would like some info on that technique." and I will send you a courteous, to-the-point reply right away. I don't find that rude at all. You don't have to tell me about your family, your career, your arthritis issues, etc. What I am talking about is the people that say, and this is the WHOLE message, "I WANT THIS. SEND IT TO ME NOW." That just comes off as so rude. And if it truly is a language barrier, then I feel badly for letting it bug me.

But, for those of you who do want to shoot the breeze, I love that, too. I will yak until I'm blue in the face. (As evidenced right here... hehehe) If you DO want to tell me about the time your dog got his head stuck in the fence and you had to use hi-ratio shortening to get him out... I'm ready to laugh about it with you!

As for the malt stuff... PM me and I'll fill you in! But you'd better be nice! Hehehehe! icon_lol.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #37 of 152

I agree with the person who said that you should answer questions that are in the comments with a PM. I almost never go back to a cake picture to find the answer to my question.

Also, please be careful to not judge someone on the basis of a missed reply or answer to a question. I try to answer every question someone asks in the comments of my cakes and I try to answer every PM I get but I am sure some of the popular decorators can get overwhelmed with questions and may get behind or miss a few. PM's can get overlooked as well as comments.

I guess I am lucky, everyone I've ever PM'ed with a cake question has always been so gracious to help and answered my questions, even Aine and Sugarshack and you know how busy they must be.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #38 of 152

now am blushing. I have PMed a lOT of people on here asking questions and such. Hopefully i haven't been rude. English is not my first language too and sometimes it takes a lot of time to explain what I really wanna say and it can seem short. But I always tell them to have a nice day LOL does that count?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:07pm
post #39 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

now am blushing. I have PMed a lOT of people on here asking questions and such. Hopefully i haven't been rude. English is not my first language too and sometimes it takes a lot of time to explain what I really wanna say and it can seem short. But I always tell them to have a nice day LOL does that count?

That totally counts! thumbs_up.gif

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #40 of 152

Yep, I agree one-liners like that come across like they think a complete tutorial is "owed" to them.

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:26pm
post #41 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I'm so glad you brought this up. I've been silently agonizing over this for quite some time. It doesn't just happen here on CC, but also on my Webshots page.

Sometimes I'll get a please and thank you request for instructions, send the instructions, then never hear from the requestor again. When I don't get a 'thank you' I feel taken advantage of. Like JanH said, I'm not a computer. I'm not a tutorial machine.

For some reason, I get tons of requests for instructions for my dirt bike cake. The last few people I sent the instructions to (in 3 different continents!) never acknowledged my effort.

Since then, I've just been ignoring future requests. I don't know how to say, "Due to the rudeness of your fellow man, I'm not sending out any more instructions." What I'd REALLY like to say is, "I'd be delighted to send you the instructions upon receipt of the $50.00 tutorial purchase price."

I was feeling charitable the other day when I received a request from someone I don't know to 'walk her through' a certain cake. I emailed her to ask her what her skill level was and never heard back. Now I know how valuable she thinks my time is.

It's really insulting to get what amounts to a DEMAND for the instructions for something I've worked hard to accomplish, with no acknowlegment.

Unfortunately, people with bad manners don't recognize themselves. I don't expect those people to change. But, I appreciate the opportunity to get this off my chest.

I think asking someone their skill level like that can be rude too...no wonder she didn't e-mail you back!LOL

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:29pm
post #42 of 152

I have not had to many pm's however, the ones that I have had, I don't feel they have been too rude. Most of the people sending the messages after I have replied I never hear from them again, However, there are a couple that I have made some friendships with althoug its just thru this site. I hope someday we can meet.

Don't get me wrong, I think there is no excuse for anyone being rude, but along time ago, I was taught that more often than not the other person has things going on and really don't realize how they come across to the rest of the world.

Just my 2 cents!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:34pm
post #43 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

That totally counts! thumbs_up.gif

yay! icon_smile.gif thanks Mel!

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:09pm
post #44 of 152

English is not my first language either,my husband is an American and he always correct me when I speek.I've PMed a couple of people & don't think that I'd introduced myself but I always say thank you.I wasn't trying to be rude & if I've PMed you & thought that I was being ruded I just wanna say I'm sorry & that will never happen again.I never thought about it that way so I'm glad someone posted this.Oh also I'm new @ this cake decorating & also this computer stuff so forgive me.Thanks

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:17pm
post #45 of 152

I don't get many PMs asking for help or tips on how I did something. I'm far from being an expert on anything!! But the few PMs that I have gotten have all been very nice. Some short and to the point and others a little more detailed. I've never received a rude PM.

I am a very quiet and intraverted person. I guess sometimes people might perceive me as being rude because it does not come easy to me to carry a conversation with someone I don't know. If I come off that way sometimes --sorry, don't mean to be.

I have learned so much from the help I have received from others on this forum and I'm more than happy to help anyone I can.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:00pm
post #46 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

(After all, I'm a human being NOT a computer.) icon_rolleyes.gif

JMHO

Well.....in all fairness......you DO seem like a computer data base! In a good way of course! icon_lol.gif

HA HA HA...truer words were never spoken.

janh is like the
"data"(nerdy star trek reference) here at cake central....you are so helpful and kind to help everyone janh! ThAnKs!

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #47 of 152

I feel the same way
If someone spends time looking at my pictures, writing politely, introducing themselves and saying Thank you I have no problem in spending MY time to reply and help with whatever I can...
icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:26pm
post #48 of 152

I get lots of PM's all the time..People are extremely sweet, I can't say I have received a PM like that. They ask for help in so many things. But usually they will say I love your work, or, I have many of your cakes in my favorites. They usually thank me so much. Even in my websites, some of the comments are so sweet..
I love to help people in whatever I can. I will always reply as long as I am sitting in the computer.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #49 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

(After all, I'm a human being NOT a computer.) icon_rolleyes.gif

JMHO

Well.....in all fairness......you DO seem like a computer data base! In a good way of course! icon_lol.gif

HA HA HA...truer words were never spoken.

janh is like the
"data"(nerdy star trek reference) here at cake central....you are so helpful and kind to help everyone janh! ThAnKs!

Sometimes I think Jan H is faster than my computer!

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #50 of 152

I have been enlightened. I am a short PM-er. Never considered it rude, or thought like that. Usually I hear back when requesting info.....I being new to decorating, I ask alot! If I don't hear back or get a brief description I just think the reponder isn't comfortable giving away all their "secrets". I am always greatful for whatever......that is why I love this site.

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #51 of 152

I love this discussion. I was just wondering why a couple of my requests didn't get responses. Now, I'm wondering if I sounded rude. I don't think I did, but I'm going to re-check. I am also a new decorator and I have people (in my church), not on the computer, asking for my recipes, and I guess I get a little selfish. I just want to say "I took the class, paid for it. I'm the one trying to start a business, and instead of hiring me to do a cake for you, you just want my recipe!" LOL I usually end up giving the recipe to them. icon_sad.gif

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:00pm
post #52 of 152

I love PMs, its great to know there are people in there who want to know more about what I do. I always take the time to reply, and help in any way I can.

In saying that, I have a really big pet peeve. The cake I get the most PMs about is an adult themed cake in the shape of boxer shorts that I designed from scratch. Every time someone asks, I make an effort to reply and go into detail about how I do my sculpting and get it to look lifelike. (Heheh!!) So why is it that almost every time I see a copy in the gallery, and there are lots of them, there is no acknowledgement made at all. Sometimes the descriptions even say 'one of my most popular designs' just because they have copied the same cake twice. I have to say I sometimes pinch ideas from here too but always try to give credit if I know who designed it in the first place...why can't some people give the same courtesy? Honestly sometimes I wonder why I bother helping some people and giving away my secrets just so they can claim them as their own icon_sad.gif

At the end of the day though I love it when someone PMs me with a link to the cake I helped them with, it makes it all worth it and encourages me to keep sharing icon_biggrin.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:09pm
post #53 of 152

summernoelle

I love your animals and yet somehow it never occured to me to ask you for instructions.

I am going to PM you right now and flatter, beg and grovel for any hints you can give me to make mine 1/2 as adorable as yours.

Nannie

icon_redface.gif

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:15pm
post #54 of 152

Honestly I didnt see anything wrong with that pm, they werent rude at all & even if they told u who they were, its not like ur gunna know them after that, ur not gunna go to where they live & visit them...theyre just asking for help as all of us on here do. I never say who I am, I didnt know that was an issue no one ever tells me who they are, nor do I expect it. If they wanna know about me, they can just click on my profile...so I dont see the big deal.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #55 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1273

I will start by saying that I'm making cakes because I got inspired here and with the help of many wonderful people that helped me when I PM them.
Many people send me messages asking me for help and I honestly love helping anyone the same way many helped me but some times I get some messages asking me for help on some cake and they don't even introduce themselves before asking.
I got one a few days ago and the person wrote please send me the tutorial for so and so cake at this email, thank you. I was shock even so the person said please and thank you. I was surprised because who is she and how do she know if I have a tutorial?
Some members ask me for help and they are been here for a while and have no pics or any posts and I feel a little uncomfortable answering.

I go out of my way sometimes to write instructions and even email pics of the process to some people.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but please tell what are your thoughts about it?

Please understand that I really love helping every time I can.

I have wondered about this! I have read some one line requests for "THE directions" (as if the even exist) under photos and thought, how rude................

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:39pm
post #56 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1273

I will start by saying that I'm making cakes because I got inspired here and with the help of many wonderful people that helped me when I PM them.
Many people send me messages asking me for help and I honestly love helping anyone the same way many helped me but some times I get some messages asking me for help on some cake and they don't even introduce themselves before asking.
I got one a few days ago and the person wrote please send me the tutorial for so and so cake at this email, thank you. I was shock even so the person said please and thank you. I was surprised because who is she and how do she know if I have a tutorial?
Some members ask me for help and they are been here for a while and have no pics or any posts and I feel a little uncomfortable answering.

I go out of my way sometimes to write instructions and even email pics of the process to some people.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but please tell what are your thoughts about it?

Please understand that I really love helping every time I can.

I have wondered about this! I have read some one line requests for "THE directions" (as if the even exist) under photos and thought, how rude................

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #57 of 152

Hi, my name is Pam and I am a short note writer.

I do apologize for any pm's that were too short. I have been told that I am too chatty and not everyone wants to know my shoe size icon_confused.gif I may have gone too far over to the other side.

That being said, and not wanting to seem dense, I normally say hello, what cake/cookie I think is cool and why I love it and ask for help and say please and thank you for whatever information they may be willing to give me. What else would be appropriate to say? I don't want to seem to chatty or too terse. And I know every one is busy and may not want to be bothered by me.

Help please!!

Seriously, thank you for bringing this up, some of us are learning "net-iquete" as we go and don't realize we've been shouting or rude...

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:14pm
post #58 of 152

I too have been told that I offer too much information, so when I pm, try to say how I feel about whatever creation I am inquiring about, where my hang-up(s) are with how to do it and request that they give any tips,pointers,instructions that they can ithey don't mind sharing them. I've always been one to say please n thank you; I attempt to send a post thank you, but don't always do so every single time. On the few occasions where someone has pm'd me for info, I didn't feel at all offended if they didn't go through a crazy rant about how nice this or that was,blah,blah,blah- I was just pleased that someone thought I did a nice enough job to inquire as to how I did it. Sometimes the conversation led to getting to know a person better- sometimes not. Either way, I love CC and how we all share one with another!

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:19pm
post #59 of 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitallmom

I too have been told that I offer too much information, so when I pm, try to say how I feel about whatever creation I am inquiring about, where my hang-up(s) are with how to do it and request that they give any tips,pointers,instructions that they can ithey don't mind sharing them. I've always been one to say please n thank you; I attempt to send a post thank you, but don't always do so every single time. On the few occasions where someone has pm'd me for info, I didn't feel at all offended if they didn't go through a crazy rant about how nice this or that was,blah,blah,blah- I was just pleased that someone thought I did a nice enough job to inquire as to how I did it. Sometimes the conversation led to getting to know a person better- sometimes not. Either way, I love CC and how we all share one with another!

Thank you...you've said it all, I totally agree with you icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:37am
post #60 of 152

Being new to CC, I wasn't sure if PM'ing someone for instructions was a faux paw, like being too forward or something un-polite. Reading this forum, now I get it. PM'ing is received more easily so the person actually knows you even asked a question. icon_redface.gif I pictured someone thinking-"you want my buttercream recipe?! Go to cake school newbie!"LOL! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%