How Can I Get Sharp Edges On My Cakes??

Decorating By mommakristin Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 5:11am by akgirl10

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #1 of 14

I am curious as to how everyone gets the sharp edges on their cakes... I have been doing my cakes fresh and my edges always end up "rounded" or smooth instead of sharp. Even on the cakes that I tried to do "frozen" had rounded edges. I use fondant on all my cakes if I can. Cany anyone help me??

13 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:58am
post #2 of 14

Start with great baking pans. Magic Lines are the absolute best and have the sharpest edges. They are totally awesome. You'll be asking everyone for Magic Lines for christmas, birthdays, and anniversary gifts!! icon_lol.gif I haven't touched a regular cake pan since I purchased the Magic Lines!

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:25am
post #3 of 14

I bought the videos from Sharon's Sugar Shack. Made all the difference. Don't use frozen cakes, the moisture can affect the look later on.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 14

I use an all-butter frosting (usually IMBC) and after frosting and smoothing (although I don't bother to get too perfect in this step) I chill my cakes thoroughly, so the frosting completely hardens. I can then smooth it perfectly with a slightly warmed bench knife, and then using only a mini-offset spatula, I can make edges so sharp you'd swear you could cut yourself on them! lol I then chill the cake again before putting the fondant on.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheartsmama

I bought the videos from Sharon's Sugar Shack. Made all the difference. Don't use frozen cakes, the moisture can affect the look later on.

This is the best advice you can get! I have all of her DVDs and I wouldn't part with them for anything. It will be the best money you have ever spent. Start with the buttercream DVD and go from there. Everything is explained so well there is no room for error.

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:20pm
post #6 of 14

I have the same problem...always round edges icon_cry.gif
But............
next month is my birthday so I will get myself a gift and get the fondant and buttercream sharon's dvds...
thumbs_up.gif

mommakristin Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #7 of 14

Hello to all. Thanks soo much for your help!! I am looking at purchasing those DVDs now.

It has frustrated me to no end having this problem. Though everyone always loves my cakes I am never happy with my edges!!!

Thanks again

mommakristin Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks again to everyone who gave me helpful hints. I have just purchased Sharon's 3 DVDs (why get one when I can just go ahead and get all of what she has)!!!! I am so excited to get them. I have two cakes going out this next weekend that require fondant so hopefully I can get the DVDs in before then and watch them

Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

jigga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jigga Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 14

to sweartheartsmama:
that is the best advise i've seen so far on "sharp edges" on buttercream!
I checked out Sharon's website and her short demo on buttercream dvd...i'm buying it!!! thank you

mommakristin Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:15am
post #10 of 14

I did purchase the three DVDs that Sharon Sugar Shack. The buttercream, the fondant, and the stacking. Figured it wouldn't hurt to have them all for reference!!!!

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:31am
post #11 of 14

I believe there is an article under the "articles" section that explains how to do this. But, yes, Magic Line pans are superior.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:41am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I use an all-butter frosting (usually IMBC) and after frosting and smoothing (although I don't bother to get too perfect in this step) I chill my cakes thoroughly, so the frosting completely hardens. I can then smooth it perfectly with a slightly warmed bench knife, and then using only a mini-offset spatula, I can make edges so sharp you'd swear you could cut yourself on them! lol I then chill the cake again before putting the fondant on.

hmm can we adopt you? lol

how much do the dvd's run? i'll save up or ask santa this year for them as the next few months of funds are tied up with my other cursed hobby (aquariums) lol

when i quit smoking i went from that addiction to fish and cakes! weird combination!

frankandcathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankandcathy Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #13 of 14

They're $26 each I believe. I just watched the clips. Looks great. I'd like to have them too.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:11am
post #14 of 14

I just got my Sugarshack dvds and watched the buttercream one last night. I'm making my birthday cake this week so hopefully her methods will work for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%