I'm Curious ~ Re: Thumbnails

Decorating By kellertur Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm by jammjenks

kellertur Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:13am
post #1 of 30

I don't want to precipitate a hostile thread, I'm only interested in civil responses to this subject.

If a thumbnail offends you, or you think it might offend you ~ do you click on it anyway and leave a message to the person stating so knowing you made a choice to click?? IMHO I would just move on... it seems the polite thing to do, but that's me. (I'm all for "freedom of comment leaving" so please don't misunderstand.)

To me, constructive criticism (not personal) is a good thing~ but when judgements are made, things start to break down. I recently had an experience with this and decided to delete my photo as it was just not worth it to me to receive one negative (redundant) comment after another. Hundreds of people viewed my cake in a couple of hours ~ this really surprised me knowing the majority of comments left were negative. I guess I'm just curious.

29 replies
jules06 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:32am
post #2 of 30

I agree with what you're saying - it is hard to see details in the thumbnails though,which is why ( I think) even though it doesn't seem to your taste,you click to get a better look.......but if you don't like that type of cake etc,then yes, move on without saying yuck,don't like it !!

For eg : I really hate those toilet cakes,not to my personal taste at all - I think the decorators are very clever, I just don't like the cake - do I leave a comment saying I don't like the cake ? No...I don't - what's the point ?

janelwaters Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:54am
post #3 of 30

I agree with the previous poster - sometimes it is very hard to actually see the cake and especially the detail in the cake in the thumbnail. I do click on some and it ends up that I don't like them. I would NEVER leave a negative comment on a cake, I just don't think it leads to anything productive.

I think it is entirely possible to do a very well thought out and executed cake that people just don't like.

This situation brings 2 sayings to mind...
1. you will never please all of the people all of the time
2. if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

kellertur Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 30

Ok, that does make sense ~ click to see it more clearly. (forgot to mention my cake wasn't a "toilet, etc cake". I thought it was beautiful, but apparently I was wrong.) I guess I could turn off my comments too, but I don't think I should have to do that.

Like I said before, I do agree with leaving constructive criticism (something "helpful"). I personally don't feel comfortable leaving comments that might potentially hurt someone's feelings, or trying to state what their motivation for making a cake is... maybe I'm just digging my own grave here...

I'm fairly tough skinned, believe it or not. I guess that experience just left a bad taste in my mouth (no cake pun intended). I took a "cake" risk, something I won't be doing here again.

I'm open to more opinions... wether you agree or disagree. icon_smile.gif

jules06 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #5 of 30

k2, was your photo the belly cake with the ( very well done ) painting of the baby on it ? I really liked that one icon_biggrin.gif

justducky Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:47am
post #6 of 30

Sometimes I see pictures that I wish I had not clicked on, but when I do, I just move on. Quite honestly some days things offend me and another day the same thing would not.

mkolmar Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:01am
post #7 of 30

If I don't care for a cake I don't leave a comment. I would never leave a negative comment. As janelwaters said...
1. you will never please all of the people all of the time
2. if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!

Keep doing what your doing. I know what cake you are talking about and I personally thought it was beautiful. I wish you would have left it up but understand why you didn't.

Amia Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:19am
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules06

k2, was your photo the belly cake with the ( very well done ) painting of the baby on it ? I really liked that one icon_biggrin.gif

I was wondering that myself. I noticed the comments on that cake and was actually wondering why some people feel the need to leave rude comments like that in the first place. It's totally unnecessary.

Anyway, I click on cakes I want to see better. If I really like it, I comment or favorite it. I go by the whole "if you can't say something nice..." when it comes to comments and everyone else should too (unless you're a CSM).

smbegg Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #9 of 30

I am confused. Did someone leave negative comments or are you talking about the fact that people veiw pictures and do not leave comments? I looked through all your pics and didn't see any negative comments. Did you take the pic down?

Stephanie

kellertur Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:45am
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

I am confused. Did someone leave negative comments or are you talking about the fact that people veiw pictures and do not leave comments? I looked through all your pics and didn't see any negative comments. Did you take the pic down?

Stephanie

I removed the photo ~ frankly I was afraid someone would "report me" and it would be censored, or I'd be asked to leave CC. I also didn't want to stir up bad feelings, as some people thought it was a violent image. icon_confused.gif

I don't think people were necessarily trying to be rude ~ however I was left feeling like I "did something wrong" when all I felt I did was post a cake pic of something I was passionate about ~ my daughter's birth.

bizatchgirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #11 of 30

I never make negative comments. I only give constructive feedback if asked. I'm too much of a novice to even begin to tell other people how to do their cakes. I also subscribe to the whole 'to each his own' school of thought. Using PP example, I wouldn't ever make a toilet cake for myself for any kind of function, but hey, if someone asked me to make one, I might try it for the challenge. I often see cakes of people who can't (or choose not to) do their buttercream perfectly smooth. It's actually quite a beautiful effect on some cakes, and it gives me great hope since I can't ice smooth. I always want to complement, and never feel safe doing so. I would hate for it to come out as a thinly disguised insult. 'Your cake is beautiful, even though your icing looks like crap', when what I really mean is 'Wow! You made a great looking cake with icing that didn't look like fondant!'

Anyway, I agree with all...keep negative opinions to yourself.

Also, now you guys all have me crazy curious on the cake I'm sure was wonderful.

allydav Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:55am
post #12 of 30

I didn't see the cake so I can't speak to your situation specifically, but I would probably let the person know if I found the cake truly offensive. I'm thinking a naughty cake that was not in the naughty section, or a cake that depicted something racist, etc. Though I think that a pm would probably be more appropriate. There are plenty of cakes out there that I don't like to look at but unless it is really offensive or hurtful, I think it is best to just move on.

Mike1394 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:51am
post #13 of 30

Think about why we post our cakes out there. We do it for recognition. When that recog doesn't come we are hurt by it. Now that being said. These days everyone is offended by something. Yes the negetive comments hurt, but I would chalk it up to you can't please everyone all the time kind of thing. I didn't see the cake, if I did whether i like it, or not I probably wouldn't have left a comment. LOL. I'm one of those that just don't leave comments. Sort of like a peeping tom LOLOL I just look, drool, and leave icon_biggrin.gif LOLOL.

Mike

Jocmom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:14am
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Think about why we post our cakes out there. We do it for recognition. When that recog doesn't come we are hurt by it. Now that being said. These days everyone is offended by something. Yes the negetive comments hurt, but I would chalk it up to you can't please everyone all the time kind of thing. I didn't see the cake, if I did whether i like it, or not I probably wouldn't have left a comment. LOL. I'm one of those that just don't leave comments. Sort of like a peeping tom LOLOL I just look, drool, and leave icon_biggrin.gif LOLOL.

Mike

<closing my curtains> LOL

I've looked at some cakes and though, "Okay . . . I don't get it . . . must be an inside joke or something . . . " then I move on.

I recently made a birthday cake for a coworker that was turning 40. We call him Cocoa the Monkey - he thinks it's funny - long time running joke at work. NO ONE would have understood this cake design outside of my office, so I didn't post it - even though it was one of my better cakes.

The cake photos that bug me most are the ones that have no story, no description, just the picture.

mellormom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:17am
post #15 of 30

I saw the cake and it was very well done! I envy people who can draw! People need to get a grip! So it's a cake thinking out of the box, no need to get your panties in a bunch about it! And no need to be rude to the baker either! That is totally uncalled for. If you don't like it just move on.
You keep posting your cakes and don't let anyone get to you! You go girl!
Jen...

robinscakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:43am
post #16 of 30

Huh, I've never been offended by a cake before!!! Seems like you have to have pretty thin skin for that to happen! I didn't see your cake, but from what has been said I can only guess that it was a depiction of the birth process or the baby in the womb? For the life of me I can't see anything offensive about that. It might not be my taste, but offensive? No. I did a cake for a woman last weekend with edible images of her ultrasounds on it for a baby shower. I thought it was such a unique idea. I had it in the display case and actually heard one person who looked at it say, "Oh gross!" Gross? How is a newly forming human life gross???? You just have to brush those folks off and move on. Some people feel the need to be rude. It only adds to their own bitterness. Constructive criticism is one thing (ex: I like your cake, but I think the border is too wide for a cake that size) but out-and-out rudeness is just not nice. We're here to help each other, not hurt them. IMHO.

vickymacd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:50am
post #17 of 30

The only cakes that I question are the ones that are posted in a forum and they ask for comments, suggestions, criticisms and then get mad when someone actually posts a critique. It's like...you asked!

I think there may be a fine line here between wanting to really know what people think and sugar coating it. We are all different levels here with all different creativity. What one likes another may not. Like the others said, as long as it's not directly offending someone, I say post it and if you don't like it, move on. That's why we are individuals!

kellertur Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:45pm
post #18 of 30

I appreciate everyoneâs input ~ thank you for taking the time. icon_smile.gif

I donât expect people to âlikeâ my cakes ~ that wasnât the point of this post. I also donât expect people to leave comments on my cake, but I donât think I should have to remove that feature either. (And yes, I deleted the photo)

I am a visual artist and (in college) went through RIGOROUS (4-6) hour critiques one a week, so Iâm quite used to âconstructive criticismâ. Talk about being âraked over the coalsâ... icon_rolleyes.gif That said, I donât like criticism that becomes a personal judgment.

You are right, we post our cakes because we feel we achieved something (or at least I do). When I am in need of a âpat on the backâ I post my pics in the forums as Iâve done with certain cakes.

My biggest mistake: I am used to art galleries where people are accustomed to thought provoking and emotional works. I should have kept in mind this is a âcake galleryâ for beautiful sugar works. Moving forward, I will reserve my edgier cakes for my own shows. I am sorry if anyone was offended ~ that honestly wasnât my intention. icon_smile.gif

angelatx Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #19 of 30

I didn't see the pic, but I believe you have no reason to apologize. The cakes on here are art and you will get bad and good feedback if its not to someone else's liking, but thats the risk we take when we post our pics on here. I haven't posted many so I have yet to get any bad comments yet, surprisingly, hehe! At the same time tho I see this place as a positive area to come and learn and share. I mostly am here to learn, hehe. So I can see why you might be a bit offended by some nasty comments, but you shouldn't apologize for your work. Have a sweet day everyone!! icon_smile.gif

sarahpierce Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:16pm
post #20 of 30

Your cakes are beautiful. I was never able to see the cake in question, but I can appreciate art. Please don't quit posting because some panties got ruffled. You could maybe start a web page for your cakes, and post the link on your info. I would love to see more. Don't let some old biddies get you down.

koralkat Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:23pm
post #21 of 30

I am so sorry that this happened to you!! I did see your picture but I didnt look down at the comments so I dont know what people said but for you to take the picture off they must have been very bad and I am so sorry that people feel they need to do that to you or anyone! You did a very good job on your cake by the way!

myslady Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #22 of 30

This is a little long............

I didn't see your cake and I understand taking it down because of the negative comments.

However your situation reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "I can only please one person per day(in your situation cake), today isn't your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either. "

As long as you were happy with it (you met the quota above, if more people love it as much as you do then you have exceeded it), you should have kept it posted.
With there being so many members on here from different cultures and backrounds not everyone is always going to be happy with everything you do, but that doesn't mean you should have to hide it.

nickshalfpint Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:20pm
post #23 of 30

I saw the picture and I thought it was AWESOME. You have a great talent. I think you should re post the picture and click off the comment box. It's something you are proud of, so it should be in you photos. Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one, some just stink more than others =)

Ironbaker Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:54pm
post #24 of 30

I want to give you a bop on the head (lovingly, of course) for even taking it down and giving in to those rude people. Beauty and art is subjective. For every one person who may dislike something, you can have 10 that love it. This form of art has so many talented people and I love to see various takes on doing things. Please do share your gifts. I'd love to see this cake.

VannaD Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:40pm
post #25 of 30

I must say I did not see your cake, but I urge you to put it back up, not only because I want to see it but b/c you shouldn't give into a closed minded bully. Like others have said "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." We post our pics on CC to show off what we can do and to possibly help someone else out who may need it, there's thousands of different styles of cakes and of course not everyone will like every style, but that's their prerogative (sp?) I know many ppl don't like the naughty cakes but the decorators don't take them down just to cater to others, you shouldn't either. This is a gallery where everyone should be able to freely show off what they can do, and I urge you to put your cake back up (because I really want to see it icon_biggrin.gif )

shiney Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #26 of 30

If whatever the image of the cake was offensive or inappropriate for CC, there's moderators for that job. The others are just opinions. Whatever this cake is (I haven't seen it), you felt some connection to the theme or whatever, you have every right. I have to say, you did such a brilliant job on your hellraiser cake, it scared me, so "I" couldn't be in the same room with it for very long icon_wink.gif

It's a big world out there, we can't all be on the same side of the boat, You stick to your side so we don't tumble over!

kellertur Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #27 of 30

I don't want to say any bad things about whoever left those comments ~ it's their opinion. I just wish they had come to me in a PM, so I could think about it and decide what to do, without everyone else seeing those comments and possibly being influenced. Tell me why you feel that way ~ I appreciate sincere honesty, and believe me, I've thought A LOT about having posted that cake...

I'm sorry to drag this out ~ wether you agree or disagree - I appreciate your time. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading ~

SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #28 of 30

I saw that cake yesterday! It was pretty bad a$$... icon_biggrin.gif

You shouldnt have to apologize for your talent, your creativity or your artistic ability....

People are wack these days.

If you dont like it...move on, that's all I gotta say tapedshut.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:48pm
post #29 of 30

icon_redface.gif double post icon_redface.gif

jammjenks Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:10pm
post #30 of 30

I never saw it (though now I'd LOVE to). It cannot possibly be worse than your pinhead cake, can it?

Kidding of course. I think you do a great job and would cast my vote for "repost it."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%