Best Way To Use Diamond Impression Mats On Fonant?

Decorating By ccarroca Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 1:24am by ccarroca

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:00am
post #1 of 7

I would love to know what all of you think. This will be my first time using the impression mat. I would like to use it on fondant, but do you prefer to use it before of after you place it on the cake. I don't think you can do it before, because it will distort. How do you get all the seams to match up right if you do it after? icon_sad.gif

6 replies
robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #2 of 7

The seams never really match up. I heard Collette Peters once say that she always ends up with a seam, so if she gets a seam, I'm certainly going to get one. You need to do it after you place it on the cake because, like you said, it will distort. At least this has been my experience.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:19am
post #3 of 7

So can you use the impression mat on a round cake? Or only on a square cake? I'm really interested in getting one.. I'm just not sure how it works exactly!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #4 of 7

You can use them on any shape of cake. If it's on a round cake, I just sort of "roll" the mat around the cake. Of course the mat only covers so much space on the cake, so you have to take it off, match up the lines & "roll" again. usually when I do this, I do not get a real deep impression so once I have the basic pattern, I go back over it with the edge of my spatula or something similar & press it into the lines to make them deeper. There may be a better or more "correct" way of doing it, but that's my own self-learning method by trial & error!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 7

That's perfect! Thanks for answering my question AZcakegirl! I'm going to order a brick pattern for my son's birthday cake..

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 7

Oh, I've used the brick pattern one before too. I did it on buttercream after it crusted. It worked really well, I didn't even have to go back over it. Good luck!

ccarroca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccarroca Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #7 of 7

Someone at home suggested I just use a ruler, but that would be insane! Which one have you used? I think I am going to buy a 1 1/4, but not sure who's works the best. Any suggestion would be great! Thanks!

I think I am going to try a practice cake and try it on buttercream first. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%