Help! Meringue Powder??

Decorating By peacenique Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 12:04am by loves2bake

peacenique Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 5

Oh dear... I'm in the middle of making a crusting cream cheese icing and I discovered I have no meringue powder!

I drove to the two grocery stores there are in my small town, but they do not carry it. It would take me about 40 minutes to drive to the Bulk Barn where I normally get it.

Heck, I can't justify driving 40 minutes one way to get 3 tbsp of meringue powder!

I called someone I know in town that might have some, but she is not home this evening.

Can anyone suggest what I should/could do?
I don't know how necessary it is for this icing, so maybe I could leave it out.
Or...maybe someone knows of a replacement...

This stinks - I had planned to crumb coat, at the very least, tonight.

Thanks

Maija

4 replies
loves2bake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:11pm
post #2 of 5

I have used meringue powder as a sub for egg/egg whites and they whip up to about the same consistency. Maybe you could try that.

Also, I don't use meringue powder for cream cheese frosting, what recipe are you using?

peacenique Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 5

I'm using "The Wedding Crusting Cream Frosting" from here.

I don't know if I'd want to use raw egg whites...

Cake_Princess Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacenique

Oh dear... I'm in the middle of making a crusting cream cheese icing and I discovered I have no meringue powder!

I drove to the two grocery stores there are in my small town, but they do not carry it. It would take me about 40 minutes to drive to the Bulk Barn where I normally get it.

Heck, I can't justify driving 40 minutes one way to get 3 tbsp of meringue powder!

I called someone I know in town that might have some, but she is not home this evening.

Can anyone suggest what I should/could do?
I don't know how necessary it is for this icing, so maybe I could leave it out.
Or...maybe someone knows of a replacement...

This stinks - I had planned to crumb coat, at the very least, tonight.

Thanks

Maija

I make regular buttercream icing without the meringue powder and it crust over beautifully. Having said that I have never made cream cheese icing but I don't think making it without meringue powder will make that big of a difference. Give it a go without it - just do a thin crumb coat and see if it crust over. If it does the full coat will crust over just the same.

loves2bake Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:04am
post #5 of 5

The PS will help your icing crust, you don't need MP for that. Cover the cakes well, they should still be ok for tomorrow's icing. Meanwhile, try a small amt of cream cheese icing spread over a bowl or plate to see if it crusts enough for you. If so, you have our answer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%