Cc To The Rescue : Your Mission Save The Mini Caramel Apples

Decorating By somerset Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 12:01pm by sarahpierce

somerset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somerset Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,

I need your help in saving this mini-caramel apples recipe.
I found this recipe on a website, I frequent a lot. I wanted to do it as a project for my daughterâs Sign language group. But after reading the comments on it, I felt bad that maybe it's not such a good idea since others went through a lot of trouble to make them, and no one could figure out how to pull the recipe off with using the caramel except for one person.
sort of. Well, I think it's a great idea. I'm hoping that somebody can help me with an idea on how this can be done. While youâre thinking here are some of the comments and the picture.

Comments :

These were not hard to make, and tasted pretty good, but after I dipped them, the chocolate started to crack and slide off. After they were in the paper cups, they started to sit in a pool of juice. They just keep oozing. I'm not going to be able to take them to my party tomorrow!

Wow! Do they let real moms try out these recipes before they publish them?!? These are a disaster!!!! I saw the other comments and tried butterscotch chips instead of caramel and they are horrible. I tried waiting for the butterscotch to cool as someone else suggested and still had the same problems of the butterscotch sliding off. These were for a back to school party for my daughter - I am glad I had a plan "B" in place!

I loved these and they were great. They were the HIT of the party. I tried caramel thinking why not, well the caramel fell off. Would not stick to raw apple. I did the butterscotch chips and PERFECT! Rolled them in sprinkles. The kids LOVED them and so did the adults. I got great compliments on them. I cannot wait to make them again.

Terrible! Tried caramel and nuts and they wouldn't stick- just fell off. Then tried the butterscotch chips and they tasted terrible- my kids hated them. Complete waste of ingredients.

RECIPE INGREDIENTS:

4-inch lollipop sticks
Melon baler
Granny Smith apples (one apple makes about 8 mini apples)
Butterscotch or peanut butter chips
Chopped nuts, nonpareils, sprinkles, shredded coconut (optional)
Small paper candy cups

1. First, with the melon baller, scoop little balls out of the apple. Each ball should have a section of apple peel. Push half of a lollipop stick into the peel of each ball. Pat the apple pieces dry.

2. Melt the chips according to the package directions. Dip and swirl the mini apples in the melted chips, then roll the apples in nuts, sprinkles, nonpareils, or coconut, if desired. Place the mini apples in paper candy cups to set.
LL

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 3

Most of the problem is likely the juice from the cut apple. I think if you were determined to make such a thing, I would use a slightly different approach.

Use real caramels, flatten them into a thin disk, then wrap it around the cup apple, perhaps bunching it under the ball, at the top of the stick.

I probably would skip any sprinkles, cause they would stick to the caramel. At least the apple would be wrapped. Also, store them stick up, like a regular caramel apple.

good luck, sounds messy.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 3

I was planning on making these for my nephews birthday. Please keep the ideas coming. I will be really bummed if they flop icon_sad.gif . Wrapping the carmel is a good idea thumbs_up.gif . Thank you Joanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%