Mmf For Accents?

Decorating By cupycakesmurf Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 12:41am by kimberlina25

cupycakesmurf Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all, I'm new here and pretty new to cake decorating.

I've done a fondant (Wilton, with added extract) cake before and my whole family hates the taste of it. So for my daughters first birthday on Sunday I've decided to go with buttercream and try to smooth it out with the VIVA paper towel method, and add little MMF hearts to the sides and some MMF hearts on swirly wire coming off the top. I have a few questions:

If MMF good for accents like that?

Can I do the MMF hearts a few days in advance?

Will they harden if I do that?

Will they be too heavy on the swirly wire?

Thanks in advance!

Jennifer

2 replies
m_t_arrington Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 3

I don't have a lot of experience with this type of thing, but I do have one!

I have spelled out a baby's name with MMF and put it on wires. It worked well except for the letters that are asymetrical, they flopped all over. So next time I'll do two wires/letter to prevent that.

It does dry out some, but not too badly. I did it probably a day in advance and the stripes and polka dots I put on the sides for accent were fine. Being on the buttercream helps keep it soft I think.

kimberlina25 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:41am
post #3 of 3

don't worry, mmf is a great and easy fondant to use! it will be perfect for accents

you are fine to make them in advance (you don't have to, but if you wanted, they will be fine)

they will harden if out in the air, but if you want them soft, keep them in an airtight container.

as to if they will be too heavy, if you roll your fondant thin, it should be fine, i agree with m t arrington, when i have put mmf on wires, they kinda flopped a little, so i would try doubling it up

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%