Need Recipe For Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

Baking By ThatsHowTcakesRolls Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone and anyone who can help! With the seasons changing I thought it would be nice to make some Pumpkin Whoopie Pies but I'm just not sure how I would go about it. I use a great recipe I found on here from jescapades and they are amazing so THANK YOU jesscapades. The problem is that I'm not sure what I would use as the thickening agent in place of the Chocolate Pudding mix since I've never seen a Pumpkin Pudding mix...lol

Any ideas out there? Even if you've never made them or don't have a recipe - maybe some of you great bakers out there might have a suggestion on what I could use. Here is the recipe that jescapades posted for the Chocolate Whoopie Pies...Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Pies
1 box devil's food cake mix
1 package instant chocolate pudding

Filling
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
3/4 cup white shortening
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla
To make the pies, prepare cake mix following the directions on the box, EXCEPT, use only 3/4 cup water, add one box of instant chocolate pudding and add an extra egg.

use a medium disher to place balls of batter onto parchment paper lined pans (or a greased pans) bake in a 350* oven for 13 minutes.

cool the pies on a wire rack while preparing the filling.

To make the filling, combine milk and flour into small pot and wisk continuously on medium heat until the mexture becomes thick. Remove from heat and let come to room temperature. Meanwhile, in your mixer, add sugar, shortening, butter and vanilla, and beat until light and fluffy.

Add in the cooled milk/flour mixture and beat for a few more minutes until it becomes light, fluffy and well incorporated.

To fill, place the filling in a piping bag with only a coupler on the end. pipe a concentric ring of filling on the bottom of one pies and place another pie on top.

Tammi

2 replies
sadiepix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadiepix Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 3

Well, I do some from scratch with a soft pumpkin cookie recipe and a cinnamon pastry cream folded with whipped cream, BUT if you prefer using a box mix, here is a good one-

1 box yellow cake mix
1 box french vanilla pudding
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin/squash (canned is fine)
1/2 cup rum, or other liquid/liquor of choice, my sis uses another scant half cup of water with 2 tbsp vanilla added)
4 eggs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
Mix all well on med. speed. Bake as desired at 325.

You can use the same filling if you like it, just add some cinnamon, vanilla and ginger, or fold in some pumpkin in place of some of that shortening.

A thickened pumpkin mousse would be good too.

You could also use the same cake method you already have from jescapades, just sub out the oil with the pumpkin and spices.

Good luck! I am glad for the spicy fall season too. Yum!

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much Sadiepix - I appreciate the fast response...I'm anxious to try it! A lot of people are asking for them so I'll have to do it soon. I do a mix of scratch & doctored mix baking. I use a box mix for my chocolate - I have not had luck getting a nice decadent chocolate cake that maintains moistness and still tastes great from scratch. Thanks again!

Tammi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%