3D Chicken Cake Pan

Decorating By carolynM Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm by carolynM

carolynM Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 3

Although I tinkered with a little cake decorating years ago, I've taken on a huge challenge. I will be making a very non-traditional wedding cake in April for my son and daughter-in-law, involving 2 3D chickens on top. I managed to find a second-hand 2-piece chicken cake mold (cast aluminum or something) on eBay, but it comes with no instructions, so I have a few questions:

1. What's the best type of batter to use in this? I'm guessing some kind of pound cake, since the density will hold up better. Any recommendations?

2. The way the mold is constructed, there are supports so it lays on either side. I'm guessing that I would fill one half with batter (all the way to the top?), lay the other half on top of it, and bake it. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to fasten the 2 halves of the pan together. Any ideas?

3. Are there any guidelines on how long to bake in bizarre-shaped pans? icon_smile.gif

I'm sure I'll be asking LOTS of questions over the next few months. Please have patience! Thanks in advance for your help.

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 3

1.) The type of batter - yes, pound cake - I suggest my *original* WASC recipe.

2.) Some molds did suggest this type of baking but in the long run it didn't turn out very well. Best to bake the ckn in two 1/2 & put together w/icing & dowels (of some kind).
3.) bake w/your noseicon_smile.gif Bake until you smell it. Best to bake at a lower temp for a longer time....either 300 or 325. If it takes only one cake mix (or recipe) about 20-30 min is a guide.

Glad to help you. What a wonderful thing hyou are doing!

carolynM Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you! I will go look up that recipe. I'll probably try baking it both ways, separately and apart, and see how it goes. I'd rather have it as one piece if possible, but since it will be covered in fondant it might not matter.

This will also be my first time working with fondant, so there will be many more questions, although I'm trying to read as much as I can here to learn from other people's trials and errors!

Quote by @%username% on %date%