How Many People Go Through This...need Advice

Decorating By koppeskreations Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm by Deb_

koppeskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koppeskreations Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 3

Hi,

As I have been slowly gaining business, I have now started to to really build up my clientel and wedding cakes. I am so very happy about it all. But here is my dilemma, I work full time which is very much needed yet at least for another 7 months. I have 3 wonderful kids at home. I would so like to say yes and push for more business, but I just don't seem to have the time, that I really want to put into the cakes. My biggest dilemma is right now my oldest is a gymnast who competes and this is her second year and not bragging she is awfully good. I love to watch her and enjoy the whole competition thing myself. But we never know when she is to compete on saturday or sunday and the times or dates until like 2 weeks before the event. I don't want to not book weddings, but I don't want to miss her either. I have no idea what to do when my 2 younger boys get going into sports.

What would you all do. I know most you work outside of cakes too. I'd love to quit my full time job, so I could have more time for the kids and cakes, but he is awfully good to me, I work right next to my house so I can leave and go bake as needed and he is great when it comes to if the kids are sick. I don't want to turn down the money of wedding cakes, yet I don't want to miss my daughter competing either. AAAGGGHHH

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nikki

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 3

Your time will come. It is hard to **WAIT** for just that right season.
I say you have your plate piled high already. Many others have set weddings aside until a later date. Personally I think that's what you need to do.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 3

Hi Nikki,

I was in your same situation until this year. My 2 kids are both away at college now and I finally have time to up my cake business. I own a hair salon and that is my main career, I've always baked for family and close friends, maybe a few orders each week.

When my kids were young, they also were very athletic and played local as well as travel sports. We pretty much had a tournament every weekend of the year except over the major holidays. I went with one and my husband went with the other, because sometimes they had tournaments in different cities or states on the same dates. I so wanted to push my cake business up more back then, but it just wasn't possible. I didn't want to miss any of their games or competitions.

Let me just say, those years FLEW by, and I am so glad that I didn't try to put the added pressure of making more cakes on my shoulders.

My advice to you is keep your stable fulltime job and enjoy your kids now, because before you know it they'll too be away at college and you'll have so much time on your hands, you'll be saying to yourself, "now what do I do?" Than, like me you can fall back on the cakes and baking, and push your business. (Although, my daughter is still playing College Softball, so during that season, everyone knows NO CAKES from me icon_lol.gif )

Good luck with whatever you decide to do though.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%