Selling On Ebay??

Business By GeminiRJ Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm by GeminiRJ

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 13

So I'm thinking about selling my 3D cookie cutter kits on ebay. Any suggestions before I dive in? I've never sold or bought anything on ebay, so I'm completely clueless and could use any and all guidance! I have a PayPal account, so that's a start...I guess.

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 13

Work up an ad icon_smile.gif
Put as much info in it as possible. Yes, include pix. Be sure to say how much shipping will be..
Sometimes th at can be a problem if they purchase more than 2 or 3 - the fee might change...not sure how to cover that. Make *all* shipping charges for 1st class mail. Do not do anything be 1st class. If you do...you end up having to pay if it is returned to you (wrong address etc).

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 13

I sell on ebay all the time. It works really well for me. When you go in to set up a sellers account, they tell you what all of their fees are. They have a listing fee and a final value fee. To me, their fees are nothing for the exposure you get. It comes to about 10% of the item you are selling.
It is a lot easier to sell repeat items, like what you want to do, than to sell individual items. If you can package in padded envelopes, your shipping cost is much less. Also, once you find how you are going to package it and get a total weight you can print your shipping labels through paypal and it costs less than the P.O.

I would definitely advise you to give it a try. If you have any specific questions give me a pm. I have been selling dvd's there for 3 years with great results.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 13

I've sold on ebay for the past 5 years - everything from vintage lingerie to cookie shooters. I don't know what your package weighs but you can only ship up to 13 ounces first class ( I believe - I am going from memory.) But when I was an avid ebayer, anything up to 13 could go FC but anything over had to go parcel post or priority.

Always use delivery confirmation. If you use a postage printing service such as endicia, they will provide it at a discount for you. Be careful with Paypal.....I have sold alot of things with them and luckily only had problems with 2 items, totally about $100. Could have been so much worse! But there is the opportunity for people to scam u, claim non receipt or item not as described and then get to keep your item and get their money back.

And now that ebay has changed their feedback policy, it has put sellers in an even more precarious position. I am not discouraging you whatsoever - just making sure you know the risks, etc.

It is a great time to sell cookie items with the holidays coming up too....when I sold cookie shooters, I bought a pack of parchment from Smart & Final and included some of those with the purchase (making sure it didn't significantly alter my shipping cost, of course) and it was a nice little teaser - people liked having that included.

Design your master listing and be sure to save the html version to a file in case anything happens - I have worked hard on one only to have it vanish from ebay and been soooooo mad! Use lots of pictures, they will sell your product, probably more than your words. (You can use any one of the free webhosting sites to upload your pics so you can avoid paying ebay their extra fees). Also, I would include several pics of the finished products, which you were probably going to do anyway....what else?

Oh! There are different schools of thought on this but I ALWAYS use the gallery feature - that is what allows you to see a thumbnail of the item while searching. It is a bit pricey - might be .35 per listing but when I shop, I realize I shop mostly looking at those pics and don't even look at the listings without them (unless I am desperate and can't find what I am looking for). Once I realized that, I knew I had to use the same feature when advertising my own product.

Wow, I have rambled on, sorry! I wish you the best of luck and have fun icon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 13

You've given me lots of information to think about...thank you! So is it okay to use Priority Mail? It's what I've been using, and it is quick. I love that I get free boxes, too! I like the delivery confirmation idea as well. I hate to sound stupid, but you can have more than one photo? What about auction versus "buy it now"?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #6 of 13

Please send me your website - I would love to buy some cutters!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 13

This is a very interesting thread! At what point does someone have to have a "dealer's license" or its equivalent? And what about paying sales tax?

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

you can have more than one photo? What about auction versus "buy it now"?

Yes, you can have more than one photo. I think each photo after the first is something like 10 cents. The "Buy it now" option also has a fee but it is nominal. There are also variable ad lengths, 7 is default I think, 10 days is an additional fee.

I advise you just create an add, you don't have to post it. It will let you see what all of the options and their respective fees are. Expect to pay about $1 per add, give or take.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

This is a very interesting thread! At what point does someone have to have a "dealer's license" or its equivalent? And what about paying sales tax?

you don't need a license but if you do this is as an income or business you should claim your earning with the IRS.

I don't but I only sell stuff I find around the house and not all the time. I buy more than I sell nowdays cause o fthe raise in their listing fess for sellers.

GeminiRJ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytarheel

It is my understanding that if you sell outside your state, you do not have to pay sales tax. You are supposed to report any income, however, on your taxes.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 13

The 'auction' is best if you don't know for sure the value of the item you are selling. You can start it out really low and if it is worth a lot more it will get bid up. 'Buy it now' gives the buyer the benefit of an instant purchase. (many do not with to wait on an auction to end.)

If you have a set price for your item, the buy it now, is the best option. They just changed a lot of the rules yesterday. I just did a listing and have 50 available for purchase. The auction runs for 30 days...and it cost me 15¢ to list it.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 13

i think you will do great...i buy off ebay all the time...plus you cutters are so different...GOOD LUCK!

GeminiRJ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

Please send me your website - I would love to buy some cutters!

I sent the information. Please let me know if it doesn't come thru, or if you have any questions.

BCJean, thanks for the information. It looks like I will have to get something set up. I've been putting it off due to some personal stuff, but I'm ready to go forward. I'm guessing once I get started, I will have some specific questions to ask you all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%