Sharpie On Fondant?

Decorating By suz3 Updated 3 Mar 2009 , 12:25am by sugarwishes

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 13

I am almost positive I saw them use a sharpie on fondant on Ace of Cakes the other night. I think it was on something that was not at all touching the cake. Is this okay? I know they have specially made writers for fondant. Do they work well? icon_smile.gif

12 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 13

They have food writers or edible ink markers. I used them on my ghost cookies and they work really well. I used a coupon and got them at Michaels last year.

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 13

The food writers work really well. I usually use the Wilton Foodwriter kind, but I noticed at the grocery store a few weeks ago that they are now selling them with the pre-made decorating frostings - Betty Crocker brand or McCormick or something like that. And I do believe they were cheaper than the ones I get at Michaels.

melli_fera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melli_fera Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 13

Was that the Milk Bone epsiode? If I recall correctly, they used sharpie on the display "cake" that wasn't really cake at all.

melli_fera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melli_fera Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 13

Was that the Milk Bone epsiode? If I recall correctly, they used sharpie on the display "cake" that wasn't really cake at all.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 13

If it's on a figuring or a dummy cake--anything you 100% know for SURE that won't be eaten, then yes you can use a sharpie... otherwise, just go with food coloring pens... they work really well.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 13

I use edible markers but the Sharpies specifically say "nontoxic". Another decorator I know says he uses anything that says nontoxic.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 13

The non-toxic label does not make me wanna go suck on a sharpie icon_smile.gif I would use food color markers unless the cake was totally non-edible.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 13

I agree, with the rest, Sharpies are for drawing on paper, not for cakes. Food-safe markers or even color paste /brush is much preferred. I know I wouldn't let my children put markers in their little mouths - non-toxic or not.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #10 of 13

Crayola crayons are non-toxic too, but I'm not gonna draw on the side of my cake with them or grate em up and sprinkle them on my cake!

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 13

I think it was the Milk Bone episode. I have ADHD and most likely missed the part where they were using the sharpie on the box and not something going on the cake. Thanks for all the responses.

Reduta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reduta Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:11am
post #12 of 13

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/MSDSSheets/default.html

Look for Material Safety Data Sheets before considering non-food items for edible uses.

Sharpies contain various solvents that help transfer dye onto the writing surface. Seems in the small amounts that they are present, they aren't a significant risk, but it's still better to stick with markers designed to be edible.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 12:25am
post #13 of 13

I think even on a dummy cake I would not use it. What if someone sees it, loves it, wants it and you can't get it to look as good b/c you used something that wasn't edible. I personally won't use anything on a cake, even a topper, that is not edible. I don't like the look and more specifically since I found out the kids were eating the bow I made out of 50/50 mix on a gift box cake. I was really surprised, I would have never thought anyone would eat the bow. sso for now on, I would never use anything that someone can't eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%