Need Help Responding To A "lead" From Weddingwire.

Business By CakeDiva73 Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 6:04am by FromScratch

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 8

I just signed up with Wedding Wire and people can give you a lead, which is the details of what they want (date, servings, design, budget, etc.) and then you can accept or decline.

If you accept, you are supposed to write them back and I am at a total loss of what to say and not sound like a moron! icon_redface.gif They don't always give exact details of what they want so do you specify 'if you choose premium fillings, it will cost more, etc". I don't want to send them something saying I can do the price at X amount of dollars and then have them add a bunch of other stuff.

So I guess I am looking for a concise response that reflects that I am available and within their budget, and somehow includes a mention of $25 tasting fee, deposits, etc. I am not trying to not do the work myself but I've been staring at a blank screen for 2 days and am just SO stuck! Any help is appreciated! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 8

Indydebi is of the thought of mine of giving as much info upfront as possible - and I whole heartedly agree!!

I would MUCH ratehr have 12 pages of information from a vendor then 12 lines.

Since you just started on Wedding Wire, here are my suggestions:
1. create complete and thorough price lists that include add-ons, premium flavors, etc...
2. Detailed outline of your cake ordering process (consults/tastings, design, delivery, etc...)
3. Sample contract
4. payment schedule
5. OPTIONAL - additional resources - have any favorite vendors you work with (photogs, caters, DJs, etc...) exchange info with them and pass along their info to your clients.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 8

Since these are just leads, I tell them my pricing, what it includes, a link to my gallery and information about consultations. I don't give contracts and such, that just overwhelms them. Its a upbeat, friendly email, about two paragraphs.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:26am
post #4 of 8

I'm signed up on Martha Stewart's wedding wire also. Whoever wrote their template response ..... ! Well, I just think they never really worked in marketing or sales! icon_biggrin.gif I've posted my standard email response before, so instead of taking up the space here, I'll PM it to you.

And yes, I believe in lots of info up front. I use it as a pre-screening process. If they like what they see, then when they call me, they are ready to work with me. I don't want to spend half my day giving out the same info over and over when the internet and my website can do that work for me.

Car Salesmen have told me they would KILL to have my "cold call" booking rate. I count every inquiry as a "cold call" inquiry.

GIve me a minute to get that PM out to you.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:55am
post #5 of 8

What's wedding wire? Is it free, or cost advertising? I just signed up for The Knot so that's about shot my advertising for now...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:12am
post #6 of 8

I'm on so many pay and free ones, that I actually have trouble remembering which ones are which! icon_lol.gif I do bookmark each site I'm on, now, ... I just checked and I'm on 20.

A photogr friend emailed me that his marketing guy got my friend on Martha Stewart's website. I went to look at his ad and was real surprised to find that I was on there too! Not in the prominent position that he's in, but there I was ... then I saw it was the wedding wire connection.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:22am
post #7 of 8

Thanks! And it is free...just joined! Cool!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:04am
post #8 of 8

I have been disappointed with Wedding Wire.. they send me leads that are way out of my normal delivery area.. like south of Boston (which is at least 1.5 hours from me). That and you can't search for your local area. I put in my zipcode and it gives me places from all over new england.. which is great for finding a venue, but not so great if you are looking for services if you ask me. I have had to decline every lead they sent me. It stinks..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%