Stick Method??

Decorating By loves2bake Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 6:55pm by BCJean

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making RI roses (need 125+) and cannot figure out why the RI keeps sliding.. gradually, but still..) I thought it might be the icing but it works perfectly on the nail. WHAT am I dong wrong??? icon_cry.gif

8 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2bake

I'm making RI roses (need 125+) and cannot figure out why the RI keeps sliding.. gradually, but still..) I thought it might be the icing but it works perfectly on the nail. WHAT am I dong wrong??? icon_cry.gif

What do you mean they keep on sliding?

loves2bake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 9

The RI slides right down the dumb stick..lol Maybe adding more PS wld help?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:54pm
post #4 of 9

piping roses on a dowel you have to do it quickly and remove it asap. still use a wax paper square and push the stick through it, then when your ready to remove it you can lift up from under the paper to remove the rose.

loves2bake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

piping roses on a dowel you have to do it quickly and remove it asap. still use a wax paper square and push the stick through it, then when your ready to remove it you can lift up from under the paper to remove the rose.

How thick does the RI need to be? and How quickly to pipe them? IDK about the rest of you, but if I have to fool with the wax paper, I may as well use the nail icon_cry.gif

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:59am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

How thick does the RI need to be? and How quickly to pipe them? IDK about the rest of you, but if I have to fool with the wax paper, I may as well use the nail icon_cry.gif

It should be stiff icing. (Hmmm a spoon should be able to stand up in your icing). I am not understanding why using wax paper is causing you problems. I make my wax paper squares when I am sitting around watching TV then i store them in a plastic container so they are ready when I need them. Then it's just a matter plopping on a dab of icing and whipping away at your rose.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 9

Im only suggesting the wax paper incase it was taking you a second or 2 longer to grab your sissors and slide the rose off, normally there is no need for wax paper with a dowel. Make sure your dowel is dry, not wet by wiping it clean with a damp cloth. and its looking like you need to probably add some powdered sugar or even a touch of corn starch to stiffen your RI up. I do most stuff in one consistency now.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 9

I just buy my royal icing roses...its faster, easier and cheaper believeit or not! icon_biggrin.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 9

I don't ever use royal icing, only buttercream, but if you are having trouble with it sliding down the stick, it usually means either your stick is wet or you are not getting the icing attached to the stick good. When you do the first loop over the end of the stick, make sure it is attached to the stick the full length of the loop. For the rest of the petals, after I make two petals then I do a little zigzag of icing below that, attaching it to the stick, the go up and make the next three petals over the top of that. Each time I get ready to make a new row of petals...I do the little zigzag below where they will be going so all of the icing is attached....or it will slide down the stick. I never use waxed paper, and seldom have any problems with sliding roses. You do need to work quickly. If you have your icing cool, like 70° you can really whip those roses out. I wouldn't make the icing too stiff or it will get too heavy and then they will slide down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%