Eat Gumpaste?

Decorating By Edee Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm by Edee

Edee Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 6

Can you eat the figures made with gumpaste? or 1/2 gumpaste and 1/2 mmf? How long are they good to eat?

5 replies
Cake_Princess Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 6

Why would you want to eat it? It does not taste that good.

CristinaB Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 6

Gumpaste usually dries pretty quickly and extremely hard. Not sure I'd eat it because of taste and texture (and I add tylose powder to mine when I make it, not sure of the edibility of that), but I suppose you could. If you want to make sure things are edible, I'd just stick to using MMF, or other homemade or regular purchased fondant alone. It will take some time for figures to dry, but it's completely edible. Fondant figures are less likely to break your teeth too! They don't usually dry as hard! Good luck!

tootie0809 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 6

I personally wouldn't want to eat gumpaste. I honestly don't like fondant decorations either. Kids, however, usually don't care and will eat anything in sugar. I made some seashells and starfish out of GP for my nephew's birthday cake a couple months ago and all the kids at the party were running around with the shells and starfish in their hands munchin' away on them. I think it's pretty gross tasting, but most kids eat anything with sugar.

kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 6

It certainly is edible........BUT.......as everyone has said most people would not like it.
I usually tell people eating gp flowers would be like eating egg shells icon_smile.gif

Edee Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 6

thanks everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%