Is It Necessary To Dowel An 8"cake Ontop Of A 12'cake F

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm by PinkZiab

sweetcravings Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 15

transport. It would only be a 15min drive to destination. Its such a small stacked cake i wonder if it is necessary to dowel it?

14 replies
tannersmom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 15

I would! It's best to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 15

I always dowel two tier cakes. You never know how long it'll sit at the customer's location before being cut and even an 8" cake is heavy enough to start sinking!

torysgirl87 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 15

And anything could happen even during a short transport. Better safe than sorry...

CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 15

Yes, especially if you are planning on traveling with it stacked. I would always dowel or use SPS, even if it were being served here since the weight of the upper tier seems to smoosh into the bottom if I don't. GL

apetricek Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 15

ABSOLUTELY!!! I dowel anything that is stacked on top, the one time that I didn't the cake sank into the bottom tier icon_redface.gif another thought is that any idiot could cut you off on the road, and your tier could go flying! icon_cry.gif that happend to my husband with a delivery he did. I say can't hurt and it is only extra support!

MayWest Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 15

PaulaT Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 15

Rule of thumb - "When in doubt - dowel" Better to be safe than sorry.
Have fun! thumbs_up.gif

arosstx Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 15

Skipping the 5 minutes it takes to cut and insert dowels is not worth the worry or wondering if the cake will hold up or not. Just dowel it.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 15

I have a 7in & 11in to do this weekend, and I'm dowelling that.

FromScratch Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 15

an 8" cake is heavier than you think.. when I fill my pans I measure them by weight so I have the same amount in each pan. It takes about 2 pounds of batter to fill one two in tall 8" pan 3/4's the way. So that's 4 pounds of batter alone for a double layer cake.. Add the filling and icing and you have a solid 4.5 - 5 pounds.. more if there's fondant. I always always always dowel stacked cakes.. especially if you are going to travel with them.. any shift in the center of gravity of that cake and there could (and most likely would) be some shifting and/or sinking.

sweetcravings Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:43pm
post #12 of 15

THanks everyone...perhaps i wasn't fully clear and worded wrong..I did intend on supporting the cake with doweling beneath the 8inch...What i was more specifically talking about is a center dowel?

But by reading your responses i should put the center dowel too. Thanks.

FromScratch Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 15

Well now that makes a difference.. icon_wink.gif If you are traveling a short distance, and you make sure all of your dowels are the same length and your cake is level, you can forgo the central dowel. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 15

For just 2 tiers I would not put the center dowel thru . It just isn't necessary.
Now support dowels yes! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
You have to get used to transporting cakes w/o being a total nervous wreck sometimeicon_smile.gif Doing so w/your small 2 tiers is the perfect way to up your confidence.

PinkZiab Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #15 of 15

I agree though with only two tiers and minimal transport a center dowel isn't really necessary, as long as you have your upper tier supported you'll be okay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%