Liquors And Simple Syrup

Decorating By mom42ws Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 2:46am by lorrieg

mom42ws Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 7

just wondering if anyone can recommend a good combination of a simple syrup flavored with a liquor for a wilton's butter cake and satin ice choc. fondant. i don't want the cake to be too heavy (choc. fon. tends to be heavy taste-wise) and am looking for a good pairing for simple syrup and filling. i thought if i added a liquor it would give the cake a more sophisticated/grown-up flavor but haven't used any before. any ideas or recommendations would be great!

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 7

Grand Marnier is my go to default for splash. It would work well with that combo.

There are now fourteen zillion flavors of all the liquors including tea flavored vodka! (Did I read about that one here in fact?) Anyway--they have the little bitty teeny bottles now too so you can get a little idea of the pairing without a huge investment. However Grand Marnier is pricey. You can 'enhance' it with Triple Sec or orange juice. But I use it straight up with the simple syrup. Makes an awesome cake awesomer.

Some splashing* thoughts for you.

*Margaret Braun calls it 'splash'.

Best wishes.

levinea Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 7

Amaretto would be great with that (is so good with chocolate, imho), that's my old standby.

sadiepix Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 7

I so agree. I keep Grand Marnier, Amaretto and my homemade Kahlua on hand all the time for cake. Even a cake without those flavors can pair really well with them.

I love using Chambord, Cointreau, and my all time fave, Irish Whiskey (I prefer the sharper, less sweet taste).

mom42ws Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:31am
post #5 of 7

okay, so i'm doing the wilton butter cake and i was going to make the faux nutella mousse (nutella and heav. whip crm.) so which of the liquors would you recommend for that? i have to say, while i drink, i don't drink liquors so i'm not sure about their flavor. thanks again!

sadiepix Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #6 of 7

Hazelnut liqueur, perfect for the hazelnut spread!

lorrieg Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:46am
post #7 of 7

Lemoncello liqueur! It's so yummy you don't need the cake. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%