Problem With Choc Fudge Cake..deep Cracks During Baking...

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 2:04am by sweetcravings

sweetcravings  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 9

icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their betty crocker choco fudge boxed mix...THis problem just started to arise i would say in the last year..When i bake up a choco fudge mix, it doesn't matter what size, the darn cake gets deep cracks on the top. Sometimes it is repairable but other times the cracks are so deep i have to scrap the cake..wasting my time. I would be afraid to torte the cake for fear it would fall apart.
I bake at 325degrees, use bake strips, and flower nails as a heating core and still this problem. I don't think i'm overbaking them as the cracking starts very early in the baking process, i can see them forming.
Do you think the nails are causing the cracks?
I'm at a loss to what is causing this problem. Any tips would be appreicated.
I have so much 'extra' cake in the freezer for cake balls it's crazy. icon_smile.gif I would really like to fix this problem.

8 replies
 kimblyd  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry, I don't have any advice.

In fact, I have the same problem with my chocolate cakes. I do all the tricks you mentioned, the only difference is I use DH Devil's Food mix with a box of pudding and one extra egg added.

I don't have nearly as many or deep cracks with my white and lemon cakes.

I hope someone else has some insight, thanks for starting this thread.

Kim

sweetcravings Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 9

Kim,

Ok so i'm glad i'm not going crazy with these choco cakes by myself. I was starting to think it was just me. Like you said,..i don't have this issue with my white or vanilla cakes so i'm stumped.

kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 9

From what you two are saying my guess is the batter is too thick. Try adding just a couple more tablespoons liquid.
One other thing is to ck your oven temp. It might be off.........

kimblyd  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:31am
post #5 of 9

Kakeladi you are probably right about the batter being too thick now that I think about it.

You are so smart! icon_biggrin.gif

Hope you are keeping away from the bears!

Kim

sweetcravings Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

From what you two are saying my guess is the batter is too thick. Try adding just a couple more tablespoons liquid.
One other thing is to ck your oven temp. It might be off.........

What type of liquid..oil or water?

sweetcravings Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 9

Update...
UPDATE
so i just made up a 12' chocol fudge cake..added two extra tbsp of oil to the mix..I was so excited initially because i saw no cracks forming but towards the end of the baking the cracking started again..Granted they weren't as big and deep but they were still there. I left the cake in the pan for 20min and trimmed the domed portion off the cake before flipping out. It looks pretty good. I was able to cut the cracked part off, so the cake is still salvagable.

Do you think if i add a bit more oil that will do the trick?

kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 9

O.k. now try it by adding the extra oil *&* 2 tablespoons water.
To keep the cake from doming, lower your baking temp to 325 (or even 300) and bake a bit longer.

I never all oil to my cakesicon_smile.gif So I would add all water for the extra liquid.

sweetcravings Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

O.k. now try it by adding the extra oil *&* 2 tablespoons water.
To keep the cake from doming, lower your baking temp to 325 (or even 300) and bake a bit longer.

I never all oil to my cakesicon_smile.gif So I would add all water for the extra liquid.

Do you think the cake will taste 'oily' now?

In the future i will definitely add all water and see what happens. I currently bake at 325 but i'll try lowering the temp too.
Thanks so much for all you help in this matter. It's greatly appreicated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%