Problem With Choc Fudge Cake..deep Cracks During Baking...

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 2:04am by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 9

icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their betty crocker choco fudge boxed mix...THis problem just started to arise i would say in the last year..When i bake up a choco fudge mix, it doesn't matter what size, the darn cake gets deep cracks on the top. Sometimes it is repairable but other times the cracks are so deep i have to scrap the cake..wasting my time. I would be afraid to torte the cake for fear it would fall apart.
I bake at 325degrees, use bake strips, and flower nails as a heating core and still this problem. I don't think i'm overbaking them as the cracking starts very early in the baking process, i can see them forming.
Do you think the nails are causing the cracks?
I'm at a loss to what is causing this problem. Any tips would be appreicated.
I have so much 'extra' cake in the freezer for cake balls it's crazy. icon_smile.gif I would really like to fix this problem.

8 replies
kimblyd Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 9

Sorry, I don't have any advice.

In fact, I have the same problem with my chocolate cakes. I do all the tricks you mentioned, the only difference is I use DH Devil's Food mix with a box of pudding and one extra egg added.

I don't have nearly as many or deep cracks with my white and lemon cakes.

I hope someone else has some insight, thanks for starting this thread.

Kim

sweetcravings Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 9

Kim,

Ok so i'm glad i'm not going crazy with these choco cakes by myself. I was starting to think it was just me. Like you said,..i don't have this issue with my white or vanilla cakes so i'm stumped.

kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 9

From what you two are saying my guess is the batter is too thick. Try adding just a couple more tablespoons liquid.
One other thing is to ck your oven temp. It might be off.........

kimblyd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:31am
post #5 of 9

Kakeladi you are probably right about the batter being too thick now that I think about it.

You are so smart! icon_biggrin.gif

Hope you are keeping away from the bears!

Kim

sweetcravings Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:12pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

From what you two are saying my guess is the batter is too thick. Try adding just a couple more tablespoons liquid.
One other thing is to ck your oven temp. It might be off.........

What type of liquid..oil or water?

sweetcravings Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 9

Update...
UPDATE
so i just made up a 12' chocol fudge cake..added two extra tbsp of oil to the mix..I was so excited initially because i saw no cracks forming but towards the end of the baking the cracking started again..Granted they weren't as big and deep but they were still there. I left the cake in the pan for 20min and trimmed the domed portion off the cake before flipping out. It looks pretty good. I was able to cut the cracked part off, so the cake is still salvagable.

Do you think if i add a bit more oil that will do the trick?

kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 9

O.k. now try it by adding the extra oil *&* 2 tablespoons water.
To keep the cake from doming, lower your baking temp to 325 (or even 300) and bake a bit longer.

I never all oil to my cakesicon_smile.gif So I would add all water for the extra liquid.

sweetcravings Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

O.k. now try it by adding the extra oil *&* 2 tablespoons water.
To keep the cake from doming, lower your baking temp to 325 (or even 300) and bake a bit longer.

I never all oil to my cakesicon_smile.gif So I would add all water for the extra liquid.

Do you think the cake will taste 'oily' now?

In the future i will definitely add all water and see what happens. I currently bake at 325 but i'll try lowering the temp too.
Thanks so much for all you help in this matter. It's greatly appreicated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%