Replacement For Rum In A Cheesecake?

Decorating By jjbrink Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm by jessfmaldonado

jjbrink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjbrink Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 12

i have a recipe for a 'no-bake dulce de leche cheesecake'. i have never made it before, but it looks so good in the picture! it calls for 1/4 c. rum, is there anything i can substitute in place of the rum?

it calls for sprinkling unflavored gelaten on rum and let stand for 5 min., then heat in microwave for 5 sec. until warm. then you will use this mixture to fold into the cream cheese, milk and whipped topping mixture that goes on top.

thanks
~jennifer

11 replies
amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 12

I don't see why you couldn't replace it with a flavored extract mixed with water, or with another liquid of flavor preference.

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 12

Well, it will definately alter the flavour of it, but you can prob substitute any thin liquor - not like a Bailey's or anything. Kahlua maybe?

jjbrink Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 12

i dont want to use any alchole. it is for our church's homecoming. what kind of extract would i use? would it alter the flavor that bad if i just left it out completly?

CrazyCakes13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCakes13 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 12

Well, you would need to replace it with something because it needs the liquid. And extract is often too strong - more concentrated. What about coffee? or amysue99's suggestion and a rum flavouring (or any flavouring) mixed with a water or coffee etc. Just don't leave the liquid out entirely.

jjbrink Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 12

i somehow overlooked amy's idea of adding another liquic flavoring. thanks for pointing that out for me crazycakes. thank all of you icon_smile.gif i will try usung a liquid coffee creamer and see how it comes out! thanks!!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 12

That should be good. I think there is a Dulce de Leche flavored coffee creamer - should be perfect! If not, maybe caramel flavor.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 12

If you don't want the rum flavor why pick a rum cheesecake? If you want to get rid of the alcohol boil the rum, but don't reduce it. I know that sounds odd, but the alochol has a lower boiling point than the water.

Mike

jjbrink Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 12

well mike, i am not sure if "dulce de leche" means anything about rum in another language, but in english when it read, "no bake deuce de leche cheesecake" and seen a picture of it, i did not know it called for rum. all the other ingredients in this seems like it would be a great cheesecake. however i do not drink alchole, nor buy it, so therfor i was seeing if there might be an alternative i could use.

thank you amy for the suggestions on the coffee flavor

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbrink

well mike, i am not sure if "dulce de leche" means anything about rum in another language, but in english when it read, "no bake deuce de leche cheesecake" and seen a picture of it, i did not know it called for rum. all the other ingredients in this seems like it would be a great cheesecake. however i do not drink alchole, nor buy it, so therfor i was seeing if there might be an alternative i could use.

thank you amy for the suggestions on the coffee flavor

The reason I asked what I did. Your basic cheescake recipe is VERY adatable to ANY flavors. Sorry, but you seem offended at my question. I thought since you were asking about cheesecake you would already know this.

Mike

jjbrink Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #11 of 12

when you asked why pick a rum cake when you dont want the rum flavor? i dont understand why that question had anything to do with replacing rum with something else. i dont know anything about cheesecakes because i have made one. if i knew about them, and what i could use in them, i would not of asked the question.

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 12

Dulce de leche has nothing to do with rum. It means candy of milk. So basically it is the reducing of milk and sugar until you get a candy. Not sure why the rum is in that recipe, probably for the flavor. Just wanted to let you know.

Hope that helps,
Jessica icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%