Frustrated!!!! Please Help!

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm by eatdessert1st

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 20

icon_mad.gif Ok, I posted a question about this a couple weeks ago, but still can't get it to work. I'm trying to make a cake for my husband's birthday next week. I really want to do the Marines EGA (Eagle, Globe, and Anchor). However, I can't get it to work. I've trying the piping gel transfer & FBCT. The lines are just too small & intricate for it. Does anyone have any other ideas?! I don't want to do something else, because now I've gotten to the point where I'm determined to do his cake with that on it!! I just don't know what else to do. I also would rather not buy the candy mold & do it that way. PLEASE HELP!!!! I don't know what to do!!

19 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 20

Rather than trying to do all the lines of the FBCT when you first make it, can you just do the broad outline then add the details after you've turned it out onto the cake?

Have you tried making a chocolate transfer? If you let your chocolate thicken up a bit, you can pipe very small details.

lkoenig07 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 20

Great suggestions! How do you do a chocolate transfer??

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 20

A choco transfer is nothing more than melted choco piped out then allowed to set up.
Unlike the FBCT it is NOT made 'backwords'. What you see is what you get (the top) icon_smile.gif

To thicken you choco melt it, then add water **ONE drop at a time** stirring well until it is a thick mud...

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 20

If you have a 3D version of the design eg an actual badge or similar with the texture on it you can make a mould of it using casting gel http://www.cakedeco.com.au/product.asp?productID=2269 and then just squish in some gumpaste,remove & let it harden then you could paint in the details with a fine brush or I have heard that you can make a mould using gumpaste press the item in to get the impression leave it to harden then use it as a mould although I haven't tried this.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 20

Hobby Lobby sells opaque projectors, you can put the image in the back of the projector and aim it directly on the cake and just pipe (copy) it on the cake directly.

DianeLM Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 20

Here's a ridiculously long thread discussing chocolate transfers http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35817&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

With all due respect to my good friend, kakeladi, my method for doing transfers has some critical differences.

First, I make mine like a FBCT. In other words, the bottom is the top. Facial details go on first, etc.. However, additional details can be added to the front, after the transfer is finished, to give it some dimension.

IMHO, adding water to chocolate is so risky, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have time to experiment. One tiny drop of water will turn your entire batch of chocolate into a gloppy, lumpy mess which can be difficult to recover.

What I prefer to do is allow my melted chocolate to sit at room temp until it starts to thicken. There's a small window where the chocolate is just the right consistency, but usually it's long enough to get the work done. If not, just SLIGHTLY reheat the chocolate and let it thicken again.

The consistency of your chocolate should still be melty, but not runny. By adding water, your consistency will be too thick and won't blend well. You know those ugly lines you get on a FBCT?

There are uses for melted chocolate with water added, but IMO, this isn't one of them.

Here are some CT's I've made:
LL
LL

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 20

Don't know if this is the type of answer you are looking for, but I did a groom's cake with the emblem and just purchased an edible image. It looked great!
I think that it is Jkalman (sp?) has an awesome one in her avatar-try sending her a PM. Hopefully that is the correct member!

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 20

I'm a newbie.. so the only thing that comes to mind is adding and edible transfer to the cake.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 20

jkalman has one in her photos. You could pm her and ask, she's very helpful.

I love EGA's!!!! Then again I'm partial because DH and I were Marines. SEMPER FI!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 20

Well, I guess I am the bottom of the cake decorating totem pole, because what I thought of was to take a paper picture of it and get it laminated and just put that on top of the cake and decorate around it.

I am not worthy.

lkoenig07 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:22am
post #12 of 20

DianeLM, how do you get your CT to look so great?! I tried one & the pieces kept breaking off

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:48am
post #13 of 20

Let me know what you decided to do. I just attempted to make the logo w/ the EGA this past weekend for my nephew who went to bootcamp Monday, and after 2 failed fbct I just gave up. The details were so intricate and my black icing just would not stick to the wax paper. I think a chocolate transfer is a much better idea!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:09pm
post #14 of 20

I prefer to use royal icing. Get a picture of your emblem and put it under a piece of parchment. Trace the lines on the parchment with stiff icing. Then thin the icing and fill in the rest of the picture with appropriate colors. Make more than one in case it breaks.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 20

i dont know if you have a printer or not, or know someone who does,but how about doing and ediable image?

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretb

Well, I guess I am the bottom of the cake decorating totem pole, because what I thought of was to take a paper picture of it and get it laminated and just put that on top of the cake and decorate around it.

I am not worthy icon_lol.gif .

That cracked me up!
Lots of fantastic advice. I love choc. transfers (I've had good results w/ them) but if that doesn't work for you do the above! OR cut out some GP in the shape of the pic and add details w/ edible food markers. Here's a pic of a choc. transfer I did (it's blurry cus of my sucky camera) They don't have to be perfect!

Mel Mc.
LL

DianeLM Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:11pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkoenig07

DianeLM, how do you get your CT to look so great?! I tried one & the pieces kept breaking off

Thank you for the nice compliment! I make sure I reinforce the back (which is the top when I'm working on it) with extra chocolate - especially where 2 colors join and near the edges - to prevent pieces from breaking off.

It's also really important to only let it set up for no more than 5 minutes in the frig or it will curl up.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #18 of 20

Instead of doing the transfers on wax paper do them on those report covers, or my favorite is a laminate sheet (bought at office supply) it stays in place and the transfers peel right off. I do bct and chocolate transfers the same. I use a small tip for the small details and bigger tips for filling in. After I am done I go over the hole thing in one color, it makes it stronger. But that is how I do it.

lkoenig07 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks for all the great tips & help!! I'll definitely be trying the CT method this wkd. Also, I was wondering... do I need to use the chocolate wafer melts or can I just use melted chocolate chips??

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #20 of 20

I know this is probably too late but...
I suggest the wafers. THe choc. chips will probably "bloom" on you... get a greyish coating. The wafers are designed for this type of work.
HTH,
Mel Mc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%