A Great Idea For You Go-Getters!!!

Business By jaxmom Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 6:31am by SugarFrosted

jaxmom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 16

On my local news two nights ago they spotlighted a local woman who drove around an ice cream truck...the catch? She didn't sell ice cream, she sold CUPCAKES out of it. And boy is her business booming!!! Food for thought, ladies.....

15 replies
loriemoms Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 16

We have our camper parked down in Myrtle Beach and go about 6-8 times a year. (its only a 3 hour drive for us) Our camper is a beautiful 32 footer that has a little oven in it. There are people selling windmills, wood signs, lamps for outside your camper, tacky lights, everything you can image..just from their campers. I told my DH many times that I should just put out cupcakes and sell them while we are there. There are TONS of kids riding around on bikes, and there isn't a bakery anywhere near the camp grounds. I was even thinking of just baking a few dozen and packing them up with me and selling them on a folding table at my camper...

FromScratch Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 16

That would be a great idea.. could you get your camper licensed? I'm sure you could clean up if you are the only option for fresh baked sweets.

yellobutterfly Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 16

what a great idea - I wonder what she sells them for? (I mean how much, etc) and if it's different flavors, sizes etc....

robinscakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 16

Oh my gosh, how funny! You couldn't pay me enough to do that (I hate driving!), but what a great idea for someone who has the guts to drive around in a truck playing music and selling cupcakes!!!

loriemoms Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

That would be a great idea.. could you get your camper licensed? I'm sure you could clean up if you are the only option for fresh baked sweets.

That is why I was wondering if I should just bake them at home and freeze them and bring them with me...I don;t know if I could get my camper licensed, plus its in South Carolina...do they have camper licensed kitchens there? hahaha!

Myrtle Beach has very few bakeries and I keep telling my DH that when we retire, I am going to find a little bakery there to just sell donuts and cookies and muffins to all the bikers and we can live in our camper. He loves the idea. haha!

juleskaye518 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 16

I love this idea. In Hawaii they have "shrimp trucks." It is like a lunch truck that sells boiled prawns. I could just convert that to a cupcake truck. mmmmmm, cupcakes and the beach!

seagoat Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 16

In town, there is a 3 wheel boxed delivery van for the local laundry service. My dad and I have talk about getting one, my son can drive around selling pastries/cakes/cupcakes in the summer. It's a cute lil thing...diesel.

Mike1394 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

That is why I was wondering if I should just bake them at home and freeze them and bring them with me...I don;t know if I could get my camper licensed, plus its in South Carolina...do they have camper licensed kitchens there? hahaha!

Myrtle Beach has very few bakeries and I keep telling my DH that when we retire, I am going to find a little bakery there to just sell donuts and cookies and muffins to all the bikers and we can live in our camper. He loves the idea. haha!

I would certainly check into it, both options of onsight, and frozen.

Mike

michellesArt Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 16

talk about bringing it to your customers!! they have fry trucks (?) so why not a seasonal treat shoppe? especially if it's something not readily available

mommicakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 16

icon_rolleyes.gif I am thinking more research into this subject is warranted. Sounds like a cool idea, even for the county/state fairs. I know a vendor license would probably be needed, (if you are not already licensed) though. I like the idea!!!

ncdessertdiva Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:55am
post #12 of 16

There is a lady here in Durham who works at the Washington Duke Inn (4 star hotel) that is selling cupcakes at the local farmer's market every Saturday. She just started doing it. I think its a great idea!
Leslie

ps I haven't been hiding, I've been studying! School is much harder the second time around but I'm loving it!
LVH

jaxmom Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 1:36am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellobutterfly

what a great idea - I wonder what she sells them for? (I mean how much, etc) and if it's different flavors, sizes etc....

It didn't say how much she charged...but it did show her cupcakes. Plain old vanilla and then she spooned toppings onto it just like a sundae (gummy bears, M&Ms, crushed oreo). So basically nowhere near the delicious flavor combos you'd find here!

maryjsgirl Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:39am
post #14 of 16

Here is the news story along with the video...

http://www.nbc30.com/video/17494375/index.html

They also have a website and blog...

http://www.followthatcupcake.com

http://fooddriven.blogspot.com

panchanewjersey Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:03am
post #15 of 16

That's too cool. Good thinking on their half. One day she'll be making big bucks and customers will be chasing them around. Too bad California isn't that layed back for things like this.

SugarFrosted Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:31am
post #16 of 16

Her blog says the cupcakes are $2 each, plus 25 cents for additional stuff like sprinkles or whatever, there's a long list. She must sell a ton to make it worth it.

Incidentally, there was a thread a few days or a week ago about a woman doing this same thing from an airstream trailer. I am guessing a lot of these could spring up around the country, wherever they can do it legally.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%