"suspicious" Mammogram

Decorating By Deb_ Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm by VannaD

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:13pm
post #1 of 11

Hi guys,

O.k., I'm still shaking. I just got a call from the radiology lab where I had my routine mammogram 2 wks. ago. They said the radiologist wants me to come in for some more films and a sonogram because he sees something suspicious.

Now, I had this happen 2 yrs. ago and it was nothing, some fatty cysts, so I told the girl on the phone this and asked her if they compared the films. She said they were aware of that and that this is not the same area, it is something new icon_cry.gif My Dr., did a breast exam and didn't feel anything and I do them regularly and don't feel anything.

I said, well, I have Monday's off of work can I come in then, and she said no, that I needed to come in today.
So I'm going at 2:45 after work.

Have any of you guys had this happen before? I am a nervous wreck, I don't know how I'm going to cut hair today icon_sad.gif

Thanks for listening,
Deb

10 replies
AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 11

I'm so sorry to hear that. I have not gone through that exact same thing but a couple weeks ago I did go in because I found a mole (I have never had a mole) that looked very suspicious on my right shoulder, thinking I was overreacting I went in and the Dr took one look and said "we need to remove this NOW" and off we went for a biopsy, of course I was super nervous, he was preparing me for the worst results. It came back NEGATIVE and when I went to get my stitches out the Dr. told me that it looked so suspicious that the day he removed it he would have bet money that it was cancerous. SOOOO please try to stay positive, sometimes things that look suspicious or downright nasty can be completely harmless and a false alarm. It worked in my favor a few weeks ago and I will keep you in my prayers that yours turns out to be the same sort of situation.

Amanda

WendyVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyVA Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 11

Something similar happened to me 3 years ago. I had to go in for an ultrasound and a biopsy. It was harmless calcium deposits, but I still had to go for a mammogram every 6 months for a while but i'm back on a yearly schedule now.

They just have to err on the side of caution.
I hope this turns out to be nothing serious. Like Amanda said - stay positive.

I know you didn't ask for prayers, but I hope it doesn't offend anyone if I said a little one anyway. Take care.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 11

I had to return to have a diagnostic mammogram a year ago after the routine mammogram showed a dark spot that wasn't there the year before. I was a nervous wreck because it was in a place where I knew I'd problems when I was nursing my children, and that same spot can be tender from time to time. After I had the second mammogram, the radiologist said the dark spot went away and that it was probably just some tissue that had folded over itself. I don't remember the percentages, but they are very high that most of the time the diagnostic mammogram comes back to show there are no problems. I hope you get the same results that I did. But if you don't.....it sounds like they will have found it very early on which is the plus side. Good luck!

Ladies please don't forget to have your routine mammograms every year. Believe me.....there are much worst tests we women have to go through. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Having a mammogram is a breeze! thumbs_up.gif

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 11

I'm only 21 so I've never had a mammogram, but Im praying for you and please let us know what you find out ASAP. Good Luck and stay positive

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 11

It's most likely nothing, but just in case, be sure that they do an ultrasound, MRI, something other than just another mammogram. My SIL had something suspicious in her mammogram and they just repeated it and said it was fine. A few months later she felt a lump and it turned out to be cancer and it had already spread to a few lymph nodes. Her oncologist told her they should always follow up with somthing other than a mammogram, particularly in women with dense breasts. If they had, it would have been caught much sooner.

I hope everything works out!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 11

Amanda, Wendy, jjkarm, Vanna and Jen, thank you all so much for your good wishes and prayers. I just returned and they did take a couple more mammogram pics and an ultrasound.

I seem to have quite a few more cysts than I had last year but the radiologist said they are not concerned with the cysts they are fatty tissue. The area of concern is a dark tissue area, sounds like what you described JJKarm, so he wants me to have a needle biopsy. He did say because of the way it was moving and spreading around when they were doing the ultrasound, that he didn't think it was anything serious, they just want to be sure.

He did make me feel a lot better when he said that. When he left the room his assistant said he would not have told me that if he thought it was cancerous. She said when he's quiet that's when he's sure it is something.

So I'm just waiting for them to set up an appt. for my biopsy. I'll keep you all posted and again thank you so much for your positive thoughts and prayers and for sharing your experiences with me. You've made me feel a lot better.

Deb

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 11

I'm so glad to hear you feel a little better now. It's smart to do the biopsy just to make sure....better safe than sorry! thumbs_up.gif Plus it will give you peace of mind. Keep us posted.

WendyVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyVA Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you for the update Deb. I'm so happy that the doctor thinks it's nothing serious. That's very good news. The needle biopsy isn't bad so don't worry about that.

Keep us posted! icon_smile.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:21am
post #10 of 11

I glad to hear about the update Deb! My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Keep us posted.

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 11

I too am glad it doesn't seem to be cancer, that's great news, let us know how your biopsy goes. take care

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%