Did You Hear Or Read About Neiman Marcus?

Decorating By sugarcheryl Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm by lainalee

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:17am
post #1 of 21

That they are selling the cake balls. I was so suprise and here we have been doing this already and now they are marketing that idea.LOL

20 replies
CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:30am
post #2 of 21

I just checked their website and saw them. They are selling 18 for $75.00..........Wow!!!

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:35am
post #3 of 21

I just received an email from a friend who requested the recipe for their cookies and the girl at the counter told her two fifty. When she received her credit card bill she was charged 250.00. She thought 2.50.

She has forwarded the cookie recipe to everyone she knows. I can post it if anyone would like.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:41am
post #4 of 21

I am sure we would all love it!!! Post away!!!

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:43am
post #5 of 21

I would like to have it and thats crazy to charge that much. icon_eek.gif have a great day everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:52am
post #6 of 21

OMG, I would love to have the recipie too. Thanks for sharing, and thank your friend from us all.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:54am
post #7 of 21

If all they told her was 250 than they cant charge her 250.00 that's like saying 199 for a combo meal and charging 199.00. Cant do that...I'd protest the charge if I was her.

angelatx Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:02pm
post #8 of 21

oh yeah.. duh, icon_redface.gif my manners. sorry. icon_smile.gif thnx to the both of you in advance!!! icon_biggrin.gif

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:09pm
post #9 of 21

O.K. Everyone. I have just been punked by my friend.

Apparently in revenge for a prank I pulled on her this whole paying 250. for recipe is a joke.

So sorry to upset everyone and any ideas on how to get her back would be appreciated.

She knows I make cakes and cookies and thought it would be just "freakin" hilarious to tell me this.

Again sorry.

lainalee Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:19pm
post #10 of 21

LMAO, gotta love friends! icon_lol.gif

angelatx Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #11 of 21

lololol! she got us all! i hope someone gives you a good idea on how to prank her back or you think of a good one! hehe! darn and i wanted that recipe too! hehe icon_biggrin.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:33pm
post #12 of 21

I Could not believe that cake balls were in the Neiman Marcus catalog. I made them last year at Christmas, my family went crazy for them. The most popular flavor-Jagermeister!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:37pm
post #13 of 21

The Neiman Marcus Cookies story is an urban legend that has been around for 50 years. If you ever want to check on the validity of a story go to snopes.com

http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:37pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by calynmom

Apparently in revenge for a prank I pulled on her this whole paying 250. for recipe is a joke.

So sorry to upset everyone and any ideas on how to get her back would be appreciated.

She knows I make cakes and cookies and thought it would be just "freakin" hilarious to tell me this.

Again sorry.

Your pal didn't even come up with that one herself. I remember my mom having an actual printed page (this was before email -- when all the dirty jokes got passed around on a copy of a copy of a copy of a paper) with this story and the "recipe" on it when I was little. Hope you come up with a good one to get her back!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:39pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by calynmom

Again sorry.

This prank is a urban legend..

http://www.snopes.com/business/consumer/cookie.asp

But if you guys are dying for the recipe, here it is from the NM web site

An urban myth is a modern folk tale, its origins unknown, its believability enhanced
simply by the frequency with which it is repeated. Our signature chocolate chip cookie
is the subject of one such myth. If you haven't heard the story, we won't perpetuate it
here. If you have, the recipe below should serve to refute it. Copy it, print it out, pass it along to friends and family. It's a terrific recipe. And it's absolutely free.

Ingredients

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

3. In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips.

4. Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.

Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:53pm
post #16 of 21

The same thing went around many years ago about Mrs. Field's choc. chip cookie recipe. I have a recipe that was supposedly the $250 one also, but I believe it's different than the NM one. Snopes is great to check things out! I belong to Cavalier forum also and things always come up about animal cruelty, etc. but 99% of it is unproven by Snopes. And now there's a TV show called Urban Legends that debunks alot of myths too!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #17 of 21

Back on topic, LOL How much do you guys charge for your cake balls?
Jen...

lainalee Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #18 of 21

Ok, I'll bite. Call me gullable. icon_confused.gif Is this their recipie or not. Someone gave me the Mrs. Fields recipie years ago, but as I recall, they were awesome. Course, whats not to love in a chocolate chip

loriemoms Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:33pm
post #19 of 21

I never sold my cake balls...I always just make them at christmas time and give them out as gifts with my cookies and such to the neighbors and friends.

loriemoms Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainalee

Ok, I'll bite. Call me gullable. icon_confused.gif Is this their recipie or not. Someone gave me the Mrs. Fields recipie years ago, but as I recall, they were awesome. Course, whats not to love in a chocolate chip

The recipe I posted is straight from the NM web site.

lainalee Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks loriemoms, I'll have to try that one. Jager huh,hmmmmmm. Everyones been into jello shots all summer. Sounds like a new "go to" for the fall/holidays.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%