How Big To Cut The Dam In The Lower Tier For A Topsy? Asap!!

Decorating By deliciously_decadent Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 10:35am by deliciously_decadent

deliciously_decadent Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:53am
post #1 of 4

Hi guys i have always made my madhatters by stacking on the angle with a center dowel but i have a 3 tier going out this weekend and it has to travle quite a distance and it is suppposed to be quite warm so to ensure nothing slides i was thinking of doing it the way a lot of you do on here and carving out the 'dam' in the lower tiers for the upper tiers to sit on. but then thought to myself -how do i know how big to cut the dam as intitialy i thought you would cut it the same as the base plate but now i am thinking that the higher side of the dam would need to be angled? hope this makes sense??

3 replies
funsugar Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 4 may have to cut the high side of the dam in a angle to accomodate the angles from the upper tier.

Depending on how thick the fondant cover for the upper and lower tier is, you will also have to take that extra thickness into account.

Looking at the topsy cake tutorials and pictures here..

with the exception of the Mad Hatter, the other cakes seem to have vertical sides. the "topsy" illusion is created by the sharp angle of the cake cut on top.

deliciously_decadent Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 4

all madhatter/topsy's angle down from the full size at the top to either 2 or 3 inches smaller at the bottom. I am trying to work out if there is a rule for cutting out the well that it sits in (as i said before i only ever stack stright on top with a center dowel but would like to use this other method of digging a well out) now from what i have seen you use the cake card size of the upper tier as a guide to cut out your well but what i am trying to work out is how to work out the angle of the well sides or if you just guess?

deliciously_decadent Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:35am
post #4 of 4

so i ended up using my cake cardboard rounds as a base to cut the 'well' out and then angled the edges slightly, worked pretty well although i now know that there was not enough angle and it pushed the tier slighlty to the side of were it should have sat, but live and learn!! loL!! here is the pic of the cake, i was pretty happy with the result and it travelled perfectly - didn't have to fix or adjust a thing!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%