Fondant Help!..

Decorating By dmodemari Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 12:52am by kimberlina25

dmodemari Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:05am
post #1 of 3

hello everyone,im sure this question has been posted before, but i didnt find it...i was just wondering about what kind of fondant to use, ive only used it once before ona small cake, and it looked ok, but the taste was a bit different, none of my guests ate it!,,lol, so a little embarrassing., .. i bought it from micheals in a box, i didnt know anything about fondant,so i didnt expect it to taste that way, it was not sweet,and it was a little gooey. i kind of remember hearing that u have to,or could add some sweetner to fondant, does everyone do that?....im sorry,im new to fondant, but would really like to try it again..

are there dofferent types of fondant?, and what is it supposed to taste like?..what is the best kind to buy?, thank you to anyone who replies...it would help a lot to get me back into cake making!....thanks!

2 replies
AZCakeGirl Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:01am
post #2 of 3

If you bought it from Michael's in a box, I'm assuming it was probably "Wilton" brand. If so, that's about the worst type of fondant you can get & from what I've heard, there's not a person on this Earth that thinks it tastes any good (myself included). Don't let this discourage you though, there are plenty of other brands out there that taste much better. Satin Ice is good, but the best I've sampled so far was "fond-x" brand & you can purchase it online through Caljava (I believe the website is www.Caljava.com, but not 100% sure on that). I could have ate the whole bucket of that stuff! There are also several recipes out there you can try as well.

kimberlina25 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #3 of 3

i make my own fondant or MMF:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

it is cheap, quick and very easy. I don't add all the ps that it calls for, i add about half, stir it all in, flop it on the counter ( i like to put down a mat, so counter stays clean) and then add the other ps slowly until it becomes smooth and about play doh. i let it sit over night.

i personally, love mmf, it is very easy to work with, was terrified at first, but was so easy that i was surprised!i think it covers cakes very well and tastes yummy!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%