Decorating By michaelam361 Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 4:52pm by susanscakecreations

michaelam361 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:20am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a farm birthday cake and was going to make the animals out of MMF. The problem is that I don't know much about it. How long in advance can I make the animals? Do you wet it like fondant to attach the heads and stuff like that? Is it very hard to work with? I really want the make the animals for a special touch instead of buying them! Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

4 replies
eatdessert1st Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 5

I like to add a bit of Tylose powder to fondant to help it set up better for modeling. For glue I use a couple of things: 1T gum arabic mixed with 1T water or about 1/2t Tylose to 1T water. It takes a while (maybe overnight?) for both mixtures to dissolve completely. Use a paintbrush to dab it wherever you need glue. Keep it refrigerated after using it.
I've modeled animals and stuff a week or more before I decorate and they do great. I just put them in a tupperware container and store in a cool dry place.
I'll also add a toothpick to the head so it'll stay in place on the body... just cut it a bit so it isn't so long. HTH icon_smile.gif
Looking fwd to seeing your cake!

Melanie Mc.

kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 5

I can't remember if I've ever used MMF for making figures, but have done many w/straight fondant or fondant w/tylose mixed in.
I am sure it would be the same using MMF. Yes you can use a dab of water for glue however it is much better to take a pea size ball of fondant & mix that into a couple of tablespoons water; slowly add the water while working the fondant until it is like thin mud. This can be kept in the frig for many wks. Another great way to make a glue: when you have an empty tylose jar fill i t w/water and shake well. Again, keep in the frig for weeks.

smbegg Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 5

MMF takes awhile to dry, so plan plenty in advance (a couple weeks). I would mix 1/2 and 1/2 mmf and gumpaste to help this. Especially if you do not have that kind of time.

MMF works fine for modeling, you just need drying time.

susanscakecreations Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 5

I've used mmf with some tylose for modelling, too; works great!
The only question I have is, why does my gumpaste 'crack' sometimes? I will be doing fine, and then all of sudden, it seems to want to crack. What's up with that?

Quote by @%username% on %date%