Need Help From All You Mom's - Getting Rid Of The Binky

Lounge By janelwaters Updated 30 Sep 2008 , 11:24am by janelwaters

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:33am
post #31 of 35

Gee, I was thinking about how stressed I get with the screaming/crying. I forgot to factor in the lack of sleep from dealing with it for more than one night. I would so totally cave.

Good trick with the big kid bed!

When I first read the title to this post, I thought you were talking about a blanket, and I wondered why you even had to get rid of it at all!

I read some novel a while ago and the very first page the narrator talks about how you can drive yourself crazy trying to be perfect, but there's lots of ways to be a good parent. I thought that should be copied and put in every prenatal package.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 4:17am
post #32 of 35

Just hope that she doesn't go on to thumb/finger sucking. Alot of people i know who took their kids off the binky said that the child resorted to thumb/finger sucking.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:19pm
post #33 of 35

thank goodness - so far she hasn't gone that route. I really think she was ready to get rid of it and that it was a habit and a "lovey" more than anything.

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 4:08am
post #34 of 35

We just broke our 2 year old of the binky. I took her to Walmart and said that she could pick out a new toy from the toy section and buy it with her binky. Then when we check out I told the cashier quietly that she would be handing her the binky and asked her to throw it away.. (thank you miss cashier lady! I explained over and over and over what we were doing before we got to Walmart so she was well aware when we got to the toy aisle what was happening. It wasn't instant magic however, but it helped with the breaking process. She cried that she "didn't like her bed" for a week or so .... but its worth it, I think her speech is really improving without it!

Potty training.... My daughters were really motivated by cute undies. Take her to the store (again) and let her pick out her own "big girl undies" and tell her she gets to wear them when she goes potty on the big potty. THen you just have to work to figure out what she is motivated by. One of my girl was motivated by chocolate and the other was motivated by an application of lipgloss on her lips! LOL! Just do what works!!!

Good luck with all the changes!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 11:24am
post #35 of 35

Lipgloss! that is so funny! I know it would be M&Ms - but I just can't get her to go even once. So we have abandoned that idea for now.

The binky is gone and she hasn't asked for it in a week.

We did put her in her big girl bed, which has made nap time near impossible!! But she is doing great at night!

baby steps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%