I Need A Good Webpage Site! *sick Of Freewebs*

Decorating By krispy1976 Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm by OhMyGanache

krispy1976 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Cakers....
I know thins dose not really fall into any good topic forums, but I want to upgrade mt webpage! Freewebs, is nice but I think it might be tacky. Does anyone have any pointers or where to start? I currently have FreeWebs and low traffic, and I want to go with .org, net or come whatever is av out there. Thought I would start here, I fig, with all you guys I should get a few pionters. I do not want to invest alot a month, would like it ti be under $20, but unsure if there is anything av. out there for so cheap.

10 replies
alanahodgson Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #2 of 11

I"m not sure if you think the site itself is tacky or just the rediculously long name they give you. If the name is the issue, you CAN purchase a domain name and still use your freewebs site. If you're looking for something totally different I'm not sure what's available at that price.

Wesha Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:56am
post #3 of 11

you can get a nice website with Yahoo for under 20.00 a month.

PinkZiab Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #4 of 11

My honest opinion is that even with a unique domain name, any of those free websites that you can tell are obviously built from a template are kind of tacky. And I say this because, for many potential customers, this is the first impression they will get of your business, and not just for cakes, when I see any business with a site like that, to me, it say they don't take it seriously, that they're not willing to invest the time it take to make a proper website. It doesn't have to cost a fortune... even geocities offers packages that allow you to build a totally ad-free website that DOESN'T use a template. Look into geocities.com, as I used them in the past when I built my wedding website and it was very reasonably priced, and people were astounded that I didn't hire a web designer to make it as it looked very professional. Thankfully for my biz, my partner is a graphic designer, so our forthcoming site is being designed by her and a web designer friend.

jillmakescakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:27am
post #5 of 11

I use Yahoo Site Builder. It has templates, but you can also completely write your own. You can use a template, but then add your own components. I used a template for a background, but then added my own code for a photo gallery. I pay $12 per month.

kimberlina25 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:20am
post #6 of 11

honestly, in my opinion, unless you spend good money or have knowledge of site building, its gonna look kinda tacky, sorry if this is harsh, but in my opinion, is the truth. I have seen tons of cake sites, and even ones who have bought a domain and have a "real" website, they still look homemade and kinda cheap.
as to the traffic issue, have you follow the tips from freewebs to get your site more traffic? to get it in search engines, to link it from other peoples websites, blogs, facebook, myspace. even if you have a real website, you will still need to do these things to get noticed.

i think a lot of people have good things to say about go daddy and homestead.

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:29am
post #7 of 11

Check out Homestead.com . I spend about $6 per month (added an extra page and it went up a dollar per month, but they have different packages) and get good search results (make sure your meta tags are good). Now I see on their website that there is a $20 start up fee, but I didn't pay that, so keep an eye out for a special if you want to go that route.

snowshoe1 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 11

[quote="kimberlina25"]honestly, in my opinion, unless you spend good money or have knowledge of site building, its gonna look kinda tacky, sorry if this is harsh, but in my opinion, is the truth. quote]

Amen! I often read on this forum "if you want a cake at Walmart prices - go to Walmart..." Same with a well-designed website. Unless you know what you are doing you are probably going to get a 'Walmart website."

Many of the do-it-yourself templates do not take into consideration different browsers, settings, etc... One time I took a peak at the source code and there were thousands of blank lines, incorrectly placed statements, etc... (I could tell this and I'm not an expert). A good web designer will work through these issues, make sure you come up on searches, etc... It was cheaper for me to have someone build my technology consulting website than do it myself because it allowed me to concentrate on my business.

Yes - there are exceptions as some people who are not in the business do understand web design and how browsers operate.

momtobtb Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 11

Definately pay some $$$ to get a good webpage. I'm not talking thousands to get a page built, but maybe about $100 to $200. I have a flash template through Winklet and I have it totally customized. In fact, I just contacted the designed to have a calendar portion added to my template. Then, there is also BluDomain. I really wanted to *upgrade* to Blu, but I found that I can get my template through winklet very similar to Blu for a little less.

I've had several people contact me that they absolutely love my site and that it showcases my work very well. I'm glad I spent that initial money.

I also host through TLC web enterprises for about $11 a month.

buttercream_dreams Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

I"m not sure if you think the site itself is tacky or just the rediculously long name they give you. If the name is the issue, you CAN purchase a domain name and still use your freewebs site. If you're looking for something totally different I'm not sure what's available at that price.

I think to some extent, the freewebs is just the thing for HBB'ers who dont want to have the extra expense of having a website with monthly fees.

The templates may be a little basic, but if you spend a little time the website can look good enough to display your portfolio -which is what it is about- at the end of the day, if your cakes suck, but your website is very professional looking and streamlined, it wont matter...because your cakes suck. its just a portal to display your work, and i dont think it REALLY matters as much as some think.

alanas website is cute, and its freewebs. icon_smile.gif

BTW, this is a bit offtopic, but those cookies that are polka dotted! Loves it! how did you do this? pm me. icon_biggrin.gif

OhMyGanache Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 11

www.templatemonster.com

'nuff said. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%