Anyone In Law Enforcement Or Have Family (Harrassment)

Lounge By AmandaPanda Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 10:42pm by Dale

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #31 of 131

We had that problem once with an ex boyfriend of mine making obscene phone calls that escalated into threats.

I called the police and my phone company to see if we could get his number blocked, your phone company CAN do that. Also my phone company has this feature that if you recieve a call from this person, you pick up and immediately press *66 (call and verify this with your phone company before you do it), it automatically starts recording the conversation. Once you have 3 obscene phone calls on record, then you can take them to the police and report it as phone harrassment. From there the police took all of the information on him, and he actually got arrested, and got put on probation. There was a trial and everything. He is forbidden from contacting me ever again.

Call your phone company, they were a BIG help.

AmandaPanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaPanda Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:15pm
post #32 of 131

ok so I went to one of those websites that one of you provided and it is a BUSINESS phone that he called from all 3 of the numbers are unregistered business phones they are not residential so I am not sure. I googled it and came up with nothing though.

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #33 of 131

As a deputy sheriff myself, all I can tell you is to go back to your local law enforcement and DEMAND to see the captian, sheriff or whoever is the top person in charge is. This is not just harrassment, it is also predatory harrassment and can be very dangerous. You must take control of this and demand your local law do something. If I was to brush off someone with this problem I would lose my badge. Like someone said in a previous post, "the skweeky wheel gets the grease."

Janella

AmandaPanda Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:23pm
post #34 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetconfetions

As a deputy sheriff myself, all I can tell you is to go back to your local law enforcement and DEMAND to see the captian, sheriff or whoever is the top person in charge is. This is not just harrassment, it is also predatory harrassment and can be very dangerous. You must take control of this and demand your local law do something. If I was to brush off someone with this problem I would lose my badge. Like someone said in a previous post, "the skweeky wheel gets the grease."

Janella

thank you. I almost felt silly about it. I always feel like I am blowing things out of proportion and when I went there they kinda treated me like that was the case too. Thank you for your support and letting me know that this is not being blown out of proportion. I will definitely make a trip back to the police department and speak with an actual officer or someone in charge.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #35 of 131

the thing that scares me the most is not the phone calls but the fact that he described you in detail (your toenail polish colour i mean come on!! what are the police waiting for?!?!) i would not sit on this a minute longer but go to the police station and demand to speak to someone in authority and do not leave until they are going to follow up on this matter. changing your phone number in my opinion is only going to stall matters and may escalate the situation-take janella's advice and go

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm
post #36 of 131

Haven't taken the time to read all the posts so I apologize if this is redundant.

Go BACK TO THE POLICE and DEMAND THAT THEY HELP YOU! This guy is a CREEP and could very well be dangerous! DO NOT settle for the front desk clerk. Talk to a detective.

Now, were it ME....since the Police aren't doing anything....Call the STATE Police, the governor's office; Heck I'd call the FBI if I thought I could get through. UHHH It's called STALKING!!!

BE CAREFUL!!! Keep your doors locked!

Beth in KY

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:34pm
post #37 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaPanda

thank you. I almost felt silly about it.

WHAT?????????????? icon_surprised.gif

This is why I get so aggrevated at women ... they are their own worst downfall. Even with this guy doing all the things you say he's doing and you say YOU feel "silly" reporting it and trying to get something done about it??????? What is wrong with you, girl?? icon_surprised.gif

YOU are not the problem ... HE Is the problem!! Take the advice of mysweetconfetions and git-r-dun! thumbs_up.gif

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #38 of 131

I live in TN also. I do know some of the laws. My best friend is in law enforcement as is a co-worker/friend's husband. Even though your phone carrier does not carry detailed billing, they CAN give the information to police. And police CAN get the information on who the phone lines belong to through the phone company.
I say bug the police.

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #39 of 131

oh amanda! i hate to hear that this is happening to you!! i'm just over here in franklin, if you need anything. my husband says i'm the most resourceful person he's ever met, cause when i want to find something out, i'm like a bloodhound...gotta love the internet!! pm me with the phone numbers and i'll see what i can find...i have my ways! hehehe

starla

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:45pm
post #40 of 131

Not only should you go back to the police, but go back with your children. Demand to see a supervisor. Get it into their heads that this is not just about your safety (although that should be enough), but that you are very concerned about the safety of your children.
Be assertive.

It's a pain, but change your number.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:50pm
post #41 of 131

I have an uncle in the FBI and I so wish he wasn't in Iraq right now! He'd be able to help you!

There are ways of finding out who this guy is and I'm inclined to agree that he might be a neighbor. Keep pestering the police until they do something. I also suggest you not answer the calls anymore. If he can't talk to you, he may lose interest in this stalker-game and leave you alone. Do record the date and time of every call.

hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #42 of 131

I agree with the other post on here. I have also been in similar situation. I bought a recorder that will attach to my home phone and as soon as you pick up the phone and dial a number it will record you calls whether incoming or outgoing. They have them for cell phones as well.. The next time this guy calls, tell him his call are being monitored for evidence for the police and they are looking into this as harassement and that you know where his calls are coming from and you are taking action again him and he should stop immediately. I recorded 3 calls and took them to the police and they did nothing. But once I told the perp. I was recording his messages he stopped his calls immediately. Never heard anything again. Good luck I hope ou have some resove in this I know it is frightning and frustrating.

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #43 of 131

I am so sorry to hear that you are going thru this. Listen, bug the hell out of your police dept. Keep a journal, write down every time he calls regardless if you answer it or not. The nail polish thing is to close for comfort. He is odviously watching you. Sorry to spook you. But he has to be. If this creep keeps it up, contact the attorney generals office, especially if the police aren't doing anything. I have Embarq and I'm reading a section in the phone directory about how to handle annoyance calls and they say to contact the phone company to report harassing calls and request Call Tracing Services. I know you said that you had AT&T but still find out what options you have. Also, do you live in a small town or a large city????? Those #'s you have can be found. I'll be happy to help you find out what company they belong to. PM me. I hope this stops and please stay safe and DO NOT meet him. NO matter what!!!!!!!

AmandaPanda Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #44 of 131

thank you thank you thank you everyone! Seriously. I did not expect to get such a great response from you all. I have not had any calls since this morning THANK GOODNESS! I am going to go back to the police department when I can tomorrow I had to take off my morning shift from work to do it today but I may be able to run by there tomorrow too.

I am glad that you all do not feel like I am overreacting to this. That is my biggest downfall with everything is I underreact to things I think. And Indydebi THANK YOU for the kick in the rear that is what we all love about you, when we need that kick you give it! I will keep you updated and see what happens, hopefully no more calls.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:32pm
post #45 of 131

Amanda,

I just phoned my nephew who is a police officer in Rhode Island and told him about your situation. He said basically what the others are telling you. He also said the police have a way of getting the addresses that belong to the phone #'s even though when you do a search the address doesn't come up. He suggested that you and your husband go to the station together, and not to leave until you speak with a Sgt., or detective. He also said they may ask to take your cell phone for a couple of days and have a female officer answer it and try to set up a meeting with this creep.

He said if you receive any more calls in the meantime don't answer the phone. By doing so your playing right into this creeps hands. He wants a reaction from you. It's entirely possible that it's somebody you see every day, maybe a father from your kids school, a co-worker, neighbor, somebody from a store or restaurant that you frequent and make small talk with. These conversations seem like nothing to us woman, but some men like this take it as us wanting to be their friend.

Try to think of any new men that you may have recently met that made you feel uncomfortable. Any information you can give the police will be helpful. You mentioned that you were an assistant for an organization, it's entirely possible that this person knows you from there.

I hope it turns out to be nothing but a prank....take care and please keep us all updated. I'll be thinking of you and sending good wishes for your safety.
Deb

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:39pm
post #46 of 131

Yikes, this is serious!! do not take it lightly...is your husband concerned?? do not go anywhere by yourself and be aware of your surroundings even in day time.

I've been where you're at....many years ago, before I married I was stalked by someone I didn't know. He did break into my house one day and my parents found him standing in the living room. He was arrested for traspassing but, of course, he was released because he didn't hurt me and then in a few days tried to brake in again. The wierdo never talk...he only stared at me. Later on we found out he lived near by and he had just been released from a mental institution. Oh, but his family claimed he was harmless and has never hurt anyone.
Eventually my parents decided to moved since I was pretty close to having a nervous breakdown.

So, please don't feel silly and make a big deal...if the police ignores you call a local newspaper and tell your story...if you make it public others will step forward and support you. If I knew then what I know now, believe me, I would had handle it different.
Good luck!

koalabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koalabear Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:41pm
post #47 of 131

Not to freak anyone out or anything....BUT, there is a website called publicdata.com where with a license plate number you can get the registered owner's name and address. My husband went there and found his biological mother just with a name from the adoption papers. In less then 30 minutes!!!!!! icon_eek.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:45pm
post #48 of 131

Some great advice given here. I haven't read all the posts so I might be repeating something someone else posted, but keep pestering the police until they do something. As much as a pain as it is, CHANGE THAT PHONE NUMBER! I would have done that the first thing. You can then give it out only to those who need it and by all means tell them not to give it out to anyone else.

I'd also get a BIG dog - - or at least a recording of a big dog that you can flip on if someone comes to the door unexpectedly - especially if you're home alone. That way if he does show up he'll get Fido answering his little personal house call instead of you. Or...just pick up one of those signs that says "Beware of Dog" and tape to your front window. No one but you has to know you don't really have a dog.

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #49 of 131

When I was little my parents moved to a dead end street and they were the only house there for a while. My Dad traveled often for work. When my Mom was alone with us at night she started getting calls from a creepy caller.

The phone company told her to press any button on the phone to get a beep noise and then to say 'operator this is the call I would like to have traced'. It totally fixed the problem.

I really hope the calls have stopped and the police are giving you the service you deserve.

AmandaPanda Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:51pm
post #50 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

I'd also get a BIG dog - - or at least a recording of a big dog that you can flip on if someone comes to the door unexpectedly - especially if you're home alone. That way if he does show up he'll get Fido answering his little personal house call instead of you. Or...just pick up one of those signs that says "Beware of Dog" and tape to your front window. No one but you has to know you don't really have a dog.

I actually have 3 dogs 2 of them have powerful barks! And they bark at EVERYTHING and EVERYONE so if anyone was to come to the door they seriously bark like crazy that is the one thing I am glad for, I feel safe when I shower or am working because I always know if someone so much as walks through our yard or closes a car door 3 houses down, normally I hate that my dogs bark at everything but right now it makes me feel safer for sure. They are not very scary looking dogs but the 3 of them barking together sound pretty powerful.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:53pm
post #51 of 131

I don't know if anyone suggested this....but my SIL is a cop and she pays for a monthly service where she can look up anyone's phone information, even cell phones and unlisted numbers. I'm pretty sure it's a public service, not just for law enforcement, but I can find out what it is if you are getting no where with your local station. If you find out who he is, at least then you know who to look out for, if he is around more than you realize, etc.

smoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoore Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:49am
post #52 of 131

Go to http://www.mycricket.com/ and click on my account. You should be able to get call information online ... they probably just don't print activity and bill call detail ... that doesn't mean it shouldn't be available. You'll at least be able to get call frequency there, since you already know the numbers.

I agree about going to the local police again. If they (including supervisors) don't take you seriously, go to the county sherriff's office. If they don't help, I'd be calling the state. A previous poster is right -- this sounds predatory, not basic harrassment (as if that isn't bad enough). I'd tell each office you go to that you want a report written and want a copy of the report so that if anything happens to you or your kids, your husband will have what he needs to move forward. You want a report even if they take no action ... the report is proof that you have been there and made the complaint.

You mentioned that some of the numbers he's using is coming from a fax number .... I'd be tempted to download the local police "logo" off of their website and create my own fax to send there. (just be sure to remove your fax header information from the fax machine first). He, he, he .... just what his employer wants to find out -- someone doing dirty work while they should be on the job. If I couldn't get a logo from the local police department, I'd go for the Department of Homeland Security. icon_wink.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:07am
post #53 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaPanda

I actually have 3 dogs 2 of them have powerful barks! And they bark at EVERYTHING and EVERYONE so if anyone was to come to the door they seriously bark like crazy that is the one thing I am glad for, I feel safe when I shower or am working because I always know if someone so much as walks through our yard or closes a car door 3 houses down, normally I hate that my dogs bark at everything but right now it makes me feel safer for sure. They are not very scary looking dogs but the 3 of them barking together sound pretty powerful.

Studies have actually shown that the BEST deterrent from home invasions is to have a dog and make it known. We have two that sound like they'd tear you limb from limb but they're actually the sweetest dogs, but I don't ever want them to stop barking at the doorbell. Now...if I could just get Domino's to stop showing those commercials where they ring the doorbell about six times per commercial!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #54 of 131

I was thinking about this some more tonight.

With the lady behind the desk, she probably looked you up and down and instantly bristled because you are cute. Thinking something like "why does she think she is so special?" and then treated you badly based on your appearance. I bet if you got a hold of an actual officer that they would take it more seriously than the secretary did. Don't let her embarass you into not protecting yourself.

AmandaPanda Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:59am
post #55 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

I was thinking about this some more tonight.

With the lady behind the desk, she probably looked you up and down and instantly bristled because you are cute. Thinking something like "why does she think she is so special?" and then treated you badly based on your appearance. I bet if you got a hold of an actual officer that they would take it more seriously than the secretary did. Don't let her embarass you into not protecting yourself.

lol she did kind of have an attitude the second I talked to her but seemed to lighten up a bit toward the end of our little chat I suppose but that could be entirely possible, just didn't like that she treated me like I was stupid for coming down when I had called them 20 minuted prior to that and one of the guys who answered TOLD me to go down there.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #56 of 131

Yep. I'm telling ya, it happens. I wish it didn't but it does sometimes. Attitude when you walk through the door when you are nothing but nice...sorry that happened to you.

mjandros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjandros Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:59pm
post #57 of 131

you can find who the number is registered to by going to www.ussearch.com just enter the phone number and it will give you basic information - that it's a landline and what city it's in. (which you already know) if you can find the name of the business, you may end up realizing who this person is.

to find out who the phone is registered to and the address, you will have to pay a $14.95 fee for each search, or there may be an option to by a day pass or monthly pass for more money. this way you can search all the numbers that have called you.

i wish you the best of luck and i'm so, so sorry that this is happening to you.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:58am
post #58 of 131

I agree with going back to the police. However, I would be tempted, if I knew the numbers and knew it was a business, to phone or fax them (whichever the numbers are) and tell them that those phone numbers are being used to stalk you. I would probably call from a pay phone or fax from a business, or ask someone else to contact them for me from a public line. The business might be able to identify the stalker. It would obviously be better for the police to do the calling, though.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:16pm
post #59 of 131

Hi Amanda,

How is everything going? Have you had any more phone calls from this creep?

I've been thinking of you,
Deb

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 12:52pm
post #60 of 131

I would take your picture out of your avatar immediately.

Then I would consult a private detective who may be able to trace the #'s....even if it costs a hundred bucks or so.

If they can tell you who it is, I would consult an attorney about possibly drafting a "cease and desist" letter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%