Cake Balls For Sale @ Neiman Marcus

Decorating By Goosehall Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm by bellejoey

Goosehall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goosehall Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 16

Just recieved the monthly email of the ACD(American Cake Decorating) Monthly Slice and they have an artical talking about Neiman Marcus selling cake balls - 36 each for $75.00 plus $14.95 for shipping. icon_eek.gif So start saving those cake scraps, looks like there is money in cake balls. The ACD also gives you a recipe for them, talking about you can save on shipping. I think that it is too funny if they can get $75.00 for 36 cake balls, especially if it is my neighborhood area they would think I was crazy to ask that, even if they are great treats.

15 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 16

I saw this, too. I also remember seeing a recipe and instructions in Mailbox News for this, only they did not make them into balls. The mixture is pressed into a cake pan and then cut into shapes with small cutters, then dipped. Made me think of petit fours.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 16

I went into a bakery the other day and they were charging $1.25 each, and I thought that was expensive! They are charging about $2 a cake ball and $2.50 each if you count shipping. WOW! I need to make more cake balls =)

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 16

What was the recipe they gave you?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 16

I saw this too! I wonder how big they are.

I don't think the recipe listed was for the Neiman Marcus CB. They refer to a baker from Texas that was profiled in the newspaper with the recipe.

http://www.americancakedecorating.com/slice/04-09/NewsCakeBalls.php

msladybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msladybug Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 16

eww that recipe calls for canned icing. I much prefer buttercream with cake balls.

MichelleM77 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 16

I thought it was an awful lot of icing too! I only use a few tablespoons for half a cake, so still not that much for a whole cake. That would make mush!

SandyLemke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyLemke Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:09pm
post #8 of 16

I brought some cake balls to my son's school's bake sale and was thrilled to see they put $5 on each plate of 8 cake balls. icon_biggrin.gif

SandyLemke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyLemke Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 16

see www.cakeballs.com for fancy cake balls and even more fancy prices: 6 pc box for $13.95!

I've had these (my MIL bought them)!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 16

I say that too and flipped. I get $20.00 per dz. But when you consider the overhead cost, the cost to package, its just not the cake scraps and chocolate anymore. The cost of everything has gone up!!!! My customers love them, horray for me!

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:01am
post #11 of 16

I saw this too and couldn't believe it! Only Nieman Marcus customers would pay those prices. If you really want to fall off your chair - take a look at their gourmet food line. A giant cupcake that feeds 12 - $200!!!

amysue99 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:01am
post #12 of 16

I saw this too and couldn't believe it! Only Nieman Marcus customers would pay those prices. If you really want to fall off your chair - take a look at their gourmet food line. A giant cupcake that feeds 12 - $200!!!

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 2:50pm
post #13 of 16

I just saw this also in my "Slice" issue!! WOW!!! Unbelievable!!! At first I thought that they MUST have dipped them in at least real tempered chocolate...but, nope!!! 48-ounce bag of confectioners' coating wafers!!! LOL!!!

MichelleM77 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellejoey

I just saw this also in my "Slice" issue!! WOW!!! Unbelievable!!! At first I thought that they MUST have dipped them in at least real tempered chocolate...but, nope!!! 48-ounce bag of confectioners' coating wafers!!! LOL!!!

The recipe is from the newspaper and probably written for the home cook. I don't think the two are related, just the "Slice" people putting in a recipe for their readers, at least that's what I get out of it. I can't imagine they are selling box cake with canned icing dipped in candy coating at Neiman Marcus, not that there is anything wrong with that.

amysue99 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:19pm
post #15 of 16

the site listed by SandyLemke - www.cakeballs.com - is for the person who is supplying their cake balls. The flavors and contents of each flavor are listed on her site. Looks like Nieman's has marked them up for resale.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:52pm
post #16 of 16

LOL!! I didn't see the link to the menu and just saw the ingredients and thought...how expensive for those simple ingredients!!!!! LOL!! So, by just taking a look at the menu, I think that because I have made them before, the flavors listed do not seem hard to re-create, but I am sure that they are the price that they are because it is Nieman's ..and thinking about it a little more, the packaging and presentation are probably very nice as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%